Estate sale find - $150 white Tremolux and Reverb Unit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by noah330, May 22, 2019.

1. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations!

2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on such a cool find!

3. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Nice! I have a blonde one. Not sure of the year. No blonde reverb unit, but a Brown reissue.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. Have to admit I'm big fan of the tremolux, in all it's various guises.

It's now in good hands, you'll figure out the best place for it.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, what a score...

6. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

This is what dreams are made of...

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

What a great map!

8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great

I'm still kicking myself about the tweed deeluxe I passed on @ a sale like this, in the late '80s.
    Like $40 - what was I thinking?

9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

sweet blooz toanz

Flat6Driver and TheGoodTexan like this.
  10. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

You dog!

11. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's real tough to score like that with the Internet. Congratulations!

In the mid 90s I went home with a Magnatone 260a + Farfisa organ for $1 after they failed to sell at a church yard sale. My wife worked at the church and suggested I come over and take a look :lol::lol: :cool:.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  12. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The seller's probably thinking, "who'd ever think somebody would pay $150 for those dusty old things!"

I have to wonder what other gear was already sold before noah got there.

noah330 likes this.
  13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Unreal...You can easelly add one zero on that value

14. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Well. Estate sales *are* the way to go to find such things. I got a friend in Miami, he does the estate sales and the yard sales. The estate sales are where his real scores are... my bud got a professional grade "home" six burner gas range, for $300 at an estate sale; the thing probably retails for 20X that. All that *big stuff* is stuff that does not get to a yard sale, or the owner could never part with it. So that leaves all kinds of potential finds for the heirs to offload.

My dad's estate was like that; his second wife loved antiques... he lived longer than she did, and he wound up with about ten pieces of old furniture: tables, armories, etc. It got valued at $25,000... but it was in California... none of us four kids live anywhere near there, and none of us particularly wanted to own an armorie from the 1860s, so we had an onsite auction. All that loot got sold for about 10% of value. Buy low, sell high... the furniture reseller people who showed up for the auction know this, and they got it all for a song. Life goes on, someone made some money, and that was just one thing crossed off a very long list of STUFF TO DO that my brother wrangled, as executor of the estate. I wished we could have gotten something near the actual value for those old chunks of crafted wood, but there was no practical way to do that.

Good on the OP, great finds!

noah330 and Flakey like this.
  15. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

I don't see a reverb unit anywhere. why are the pictures so dark?

16. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I thought it had to be "the kids" scenario. Around here, most estate sale companies are pretty knowledgeable (I'm sure it's the same in your location) and many have a contact list of buyers looking for things they will call before they open to the public for a walk through. Good for you!

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the "map" is what's going on here.

People in the area described just pull up at any pump - pay 75 cents a gallon more for fuel than the station 1 mile away. I think people are in too big of a hurry to notice deep bargains.

I got a solid walnut, vintage table for $ 50 in great condition, up that way. Money is just so easy to come by and people are distracted and haven't got the time to learn about certain things of value.

I disagree with Mjark. I think the more wealth there is around over multiple generations, the more people concentrate on getting that Promotion or work on not being Disinherited. It is precisely in this type of environment we found the best deals on "Look at That!". Northern Virginia, all of Maryland, SE corner of Pennsylvania. Try to buy the same item around Atlanta and expect to get roughed up pretty badly. But you do have to be an opportunist, to buy what happens to just appear. If instead you say "I must have XYZ, must be 1919, must have the paperwork" then you're into a Bidding War and once other people have got their wallets open, you'll get killed.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe.

But anyone with serious knowledge would grab these as well. Unless, unless they hadn't any more room in the car or ran out of money.

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I actually have a bf Tremolux already that my uncle gave me when I was in HS.

I don’t have the cab for it, though. I have to get this one up to my repair guy (who is in RI) and get it gone through.

I’ll poast the reverb unit later. I asked, there was no guitar with it. I kind of figured as for that price someone who knew enough to had bought the fiddle would have grabbed the map as well.

20. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Very nice find. I'm very happy for you! That is exactly the reason I go to Estate sales and garage/yard sales. I bought a genuine, old men's Rolex wrist watch at an estate sale about 15-20 years ago. Bought it for $20. The family didn't have a clue. I even asked if it was real, and the adult son was very insulted that I had asked that about his Dad's watch. Go figure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.