Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Essential pedals....................

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blewbyou, Mar 7, 2008.

1. goz211

goz211 Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2010
    Perth, Scotland
    Good morning DakotaPlaysGtar. Thanks for the laugh on a cold Perth morning over here in Scotland just before I brave the school run.

2. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    Fuzz and wah, all that you will ever need. (and a tuner)

3. Anwar

Anwar Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2009
    Chicago
    essential pedals

I'm a Chitown Psychedelic blues sort. I go with the whole shebang: a compressor, an overdrive, a fuzz, a phasor, flanger, and chorus, a wah pedal, a delay and some reverb.

But all these effects are really already in one's guitar..

The compression is really a matter of pick attack

Overdrive and distortion is a matter of pickup choice and volume knob adjustment together with a particular amp..maybe a preamp on deck

Phasor, flanger and chorus effects are basically just string bending technique
    A Bigsby on deck could probably handle the more extreme applications..

A wah is really just an exaggerated tone control...(there's an idea!)

Delay is really a matter of picking technique....(think banjo)

The straight sound of the Telecaster, the strings, the choice of pickups, wood, and a clean amp with good headroom are the most important. Not to forget finger vibrato, pick attack and volume control. But if an electronic modulation would serve to project the expression of the musical passage I go with it gladly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

4. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing 'essential' here.
    I have an E-Wave delay and overdrive, but they are used sparingly, and often not at all.

I'm happiest with a good guitar and a good amp and then just playing (possibly because I get confused easily if there are too many options).

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I don't even use a cable; I just plug my guitar directly into my amp.
    [​IMG]
    PUUUUURE TOOOOOONE!

6. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Apr 2, 2011
    Akl NZ
    [​IMG]

7. slimodom

slimodom Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    van Buren arkansas

8. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 28, 2010
    Kentucky
    good compressor, fuzz and the verb

9. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2008
    Canada
    Well, I agree with you!
    ...and a treble booster.
    Everything else is icing, but with a MkI Tone Bender and a Rangemaster I'm set.

You guys ever see Kevin Shields' board? Looks like a music store.

[​IMG]

10. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

Sep 26, 2010
    Perth
    Thats a tough one but I think I could get away with:
    1) Strymon Brigadier
    2) Strymon Bluesky
    3) Secret Seasons Snowdrift
    4) Redwitch Empress Vibrato/Chorus

There a world of ambient/dream pop sounds in there, don't think I would ever get bored thats for sure.
    Also digging the Kevin Shields board but WHERE THE WHAMMY! He never leaves home without it, bet its somewhere to the left...

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Taking into account that I play a Fender amp w/ Trem and Reverb, I'd say the only essential pedal for me would have to be an OD- for me its a MHP "Galaxie Mod" Blues Driver or my "modded" GC/MXR Classic Distortion.

12. dinkymau

dinkymau TDPRI Member

Few days ago I made this question to myself and that led me to rearrange my board, the only pedals that are in te front of the amp are a TS-9, TC polytune and EX-7 exp factory, and in the loop are all my other effects, reverb, delay, modulation, EQ, etc.

The only pedals I could survive with are:

TS-9
    Line 6 echo park delay
    Ex7 expression factory
    Tc polytune

13. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    I think if It all came down to one pedal, my MHP "Galaxie-Mod" BD-2 would be the one.
    After that, my delay pedal.

14. AlanC

AlanC Tele-Meister

Sep 1, 2008
    Ocean city, NJ
    whatever the last pedal i bought is, 'till i sell it on ebay, then the one after that.
    isnt GAS wunerful?

15. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2009
    Russia, St.-Petersburg
    That's true. But not any of them becomes "essential". You love it, you play it. But if you can sell them, it's not essential.

PS funny to read my own post form year ago. Soooo many stuff goes in and out. But still good overdrive is basic part. Have many of them, and all of them are good in their own way.
    Still love vibes, but not so "essential". Some basic analog-voiced echo and wah are on the second place. But vibe is still my only modulation pedal, which I use all the time.

16. an4340

an4340 TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2011
    United States
    Must have in order of importance:
    Volume Pedal (DVP-1) The first pedal ever made was a volume pedal. If you don't use you one, don't ask why you need it.
    Tuner (PW-StroboStomp) Makes getting in tune a lot faster and saves arguements
    Wah (AW-3) The second pedal ever made was a tone sweep, and the wah is its ancestor
    Delay (DD-3) and reverb if it's not in your amp. These give space to your sound and was noticed the first time someone played indoors.
    Compressor (MXR Supercomp) That squish is nice and has been around since the beginning of amplified music.
    Distortion (Proco YDR) (Someone noticed the sweetness of distorted amps)
    Phasing (BBE Soulvibe) (You need something to get you into that rotary speaker territory)
    Nice to have:
    Looper (RC-2) (I use it as a practice device.)
    Tube screamer clone (BBE Green Screamer) It adds that nice bit of grit like an overdriven tube. Which is distintinct from distortion, which comes from pushing the speakers.
    All the rest:
    They're like ice cream. Choose your own flavor.

17. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    Boss TU-2 and Maxon OD-9.

18. iamharlan

iamharlan Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Gotta have delay. I can get my drive from the amp...

19. K Scott

K Scott TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Some 808 circuit based OD (I use the Luther Drive by GMD)
    Fuzz (currently using a EHX little big muff)
    Reverb (I swear by my EHX Cathedral)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.