Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Esquire Type Conversion

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by telenutta, Feb 17, 2017.

1. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Back last fall I bought a Tele type kit from Thomann for 79 euro so was not expecting too much but when it arrived I found that it had a lot of niggling faults such as mis positioned holes and the neck needs a lot of work to get in some sort of order so I put it in the corner and went off to work. Five months on and I decide to give it a go and use it as a testbed to find out if I can actually build something playable and do a bit of customising to boot. After looking at it for a few days I came up with an attempt at an Esquire type having found an MIM 50's Esquire pickup on the net. I have started the build and will post my progress if anyone is interested. This is a pic of the original kit in a dry fit form.

Attached Files:

Grizz2k likes this.
  2. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Just came in from the workshop, and took a couple of shots of my progress so far, you can see I have done a bit of contouring and spent a lot of time yesterday getting everything aligned after filling all the misaligned holes with cocktail sticks, luckily none of them are visible but I did them anyway.I compared the body with my MIM and the dimensions varied quit a bit also I had neck slop which I cured with some glass fibre thin sheet that I had lying around.The finish I plan is a stain followed by Crimson guitars finishing oil which has nothing but praise round and about and is preferred to Truoil by many. It is too cold to paint here at the moment. Not sure what the wood is but it sands readily and and I plan to go to at least 600 grit to help pore fill .I have to be careful of knocks as it marks without trying too hard. IMG_0705.jpg IMG_0704.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    ndeli55 and Grizz2k like this.
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Is that a longer modern Tele bridge?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Yes it is a bit cheap and cheerful and I plan to tart it up or replace it at a later date if it is a problem.

6. Grizz2k

Grizz2k TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2016
    US
    Your work is so beautiful Im considering taking on the same project! Looks great, reading all of your updates.

7. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Thanks for the kind words Grizz, lets just say if i can do it anyone can!. Give it a go its a lot of fun.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm just partial to vintage bridges on Esquires, not to mention the ashtray cover, even if you remove it to play.

9. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    I have a 50's style bridge but it has been relic'd and I would need to do the rest of the hardware to match it but let's see how I get on. I know what you mean.

10. Slidertom

Slidertom Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2014
    So-Cal
    I am just getting to start my own Esquire project. So, I'm watching this one. Keep at it telenutta. Nice work, BTW.

11. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    OK, been busy on other jobs for a few days so not much happening in the workshop but I did get a bit of time in there today. I was thinking about Ira7's comment and I thought I would compare the earlier bridge thatI bought for another project so have uploaded a couple of comparison photos i took earlier. I have been in England and whilst there I picked up a litre of pcb etching acid so I am thinking of relicing the other parts to sort of match the earlier bridge. I will have to fill some holes if I do. I knew this project would run ;)). Am interested what folks think? Thanks Slider tom for the kind words IMG_0744.jpg IMG_0743.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  12. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh man...

That vintage bridge is the real deal. Now granted, like I indicated, I have a bug up my a** about vintage bridges on Esquires. It just makes more sense to me, and I'm not talking tone wise.

Just history.

ndeli55 likes this.
  13. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Here's mine. Photo was taken before I finished (final shaping) the pickguard and screwed her on.

And what's wrong with this picture?

Look mom! No knobs! Or switch!

The pickup is wired direct to Jack, used through a volume pedal for volume, and an EQ pedal.

It's totally ridiculous...and FUN!!!

image.jpeg

john kleeman, PBO Blues and Grizz2k like this.
  14. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Simple is best Man! liking that. What pickup are you using?

15. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Managed to get a bit done today and finished the last of the carving using hand tools only. I have a set of Permagrit files that I have had for over thirty years and they are indestructible. I am sanding the body down to 600 grit as I plan to get a nice gloss oil finish after the stain.

Attached Files:

16. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Question, can someone please tell me how to arrive at drawing an accurate centre line through the body for alignment purposes ?

17. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Really weird:

I originally put this together for slide only--high action and the strings are 15s!!! There's an SD Hot Rails in there now just because I had it laying around and figured if it could make any sense at all for slide, give it a try.

Well, I happen to stink at slide, and once I started playing it regular...even before plugging it in (!!!), I said "Darn!" Except I didn't say darn. I used another word.

I loved the action for heavy strumming, and FINGERPICKING, like an acoustic. So I'm going to put a "normal" pup in there that works best with running it through my Boss acoustic simulator and keyboard amp. So bye bye slide, and let me work on getting max acoustic simulation out of it.

Here's my EQ which has volume which I just jerry rigged to a mike stand with the clamp that just arrived yesterday. (Doesn't hold it well, but I can make it work.)

So all of my guitars will run through this at my eye level (which is pitifully low to the ground), and will hopefully be even more important for this particular guitar.

I love EQ pedals, but regardless of your age, who the hell wants to bend down to fiddle with it? I want it at eye level, right next to my beer.

And with your tone selection like this, who needs a tone knob?

IMG_1211.JPG

18. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    that horrible modern bridge look huge compared to the vintage bridge and any one of you good folk here used the crimson guitars finishing oil

19. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    I am awaiting a delivery from them at the moment and will be reporting my experience of their products on here soon. They are at the Birmingham guitar show this weekend if you are near.

20. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    look forward to seeing how your tele turn out . body and neck look pretty good comperd to some of the kit teles ive seen.

21. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Good and bad progress today. I managed to get a reasonably accurate bridge position via finally working out the centreline. I had been mistakenly thinking that I should be centring the body but in fact the measurements should come from the neck which not only makes sense but is easy to do. I taped off the area where the Bridge is to be roughly situated then IMG_0767.jpg IMG_0764.jpg IMG_0763.jpg IMG_0762.jpg IMG_0760.jpg with a long straightedge marked a line along the edge of the neck either side and then centred from there. Before that could be done I shimmed the neck pocket with .3mm fibreglass sheet I had around, it worked perfectly.I then placed my custom made 25 and a half inch plastic rod from the nut and taped centrally and simply centred the bridge and slid it up so that the brass adjuster lined up with the end of the rod where the string would touch. Here a few photos to explain how it goes. Earlier in the day I got the first full sand in 240 grit paper done which unfortunately showed up a few blemishes that I need to think about how to cure, you get what you pay for as they say. As a side piece there is a pic of a freshly shot haggis ready for the oven which we had for dinner this evening together with the traditional "neeps and tatties" I am not even Scottish but I love this meal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.