Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Esquire, buy it or not?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hylo, Feb 28, 2012.

1. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2008
    Dayton (NYC Refugee)
    Lovely guitar, but not $6 grand lovely, imo. Also, Esquires are just so much cooler with only ONE pickup.
  2. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    If you plan on sitting on it for a while then you might be ok but if you think in the next couple of years you might want to flip it you may not get what you need out of it.

I have purchased guitars in the past for "investment" and it is a crazy market and what you think might be collectable usually ends up not and things you would not expect are...go figure. I had a custom shop Gibson Acoustic only 40 made and when I tried to sell it most of the offers I got were about half of it's original value. I waited and found someone that "had to have it" and I ended up getting my intial investment back. I also have a 1956 Gibson ES 125 that was my dads. It is worth about $800 on a good day to the right buyer. Who would have thought it's a 1956 Gibson and a MIM Road Worn Telecaster sells for more... I have sold more MIJ Telecasters and Stratocasters over the years and if I knew how collectable they would have been I would not have sold one of them.

I was once told by a very wise man don't buy a guitar for an investment, buy it because you love it and want to play the s^@# out of it. If it ends up being worth something 20 years from now you got the best of both worlds.

Just something to think about before you spend that kind of cabbage on one guitar. If I had over 6k to spend on one I would buy a couple really nice ones and have a few bucks left over for something else.
  3. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

If money were not an issue I'd buy it. But then, if that were the case, I'd also probably buy a lot of other stuff I don't need. :)

Seriously. If it calls to you and $$ is easy to come by, get it.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2011
    South Coast UK
    Go for it man, you're a long time dead.
  6. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    If Money were no object, I would say get it. And then I would have Fender build a Masterbuilt of exactly what I would want in addition to the limited run.
  7. Guitar Rat

Guitar Rat Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    Six grand for a Tele with an "Esquire" decal on the headstock and no truss rod? Well, it is your money, and if it speaks to you and you gotta have it, pull the trigger or you'll hate yourself for it.

But, since you're asking for advice, I'd say no. If you have $6k to buy your dream guitar with, there is surely going to be more than one guitar that can you afford that will speak to you and get "that tone". And without a neck that had the wrong decal put on it, and that you might find bent and ruined one day.
  8. johnthatcher

johnthatcher Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    san francisco,ca
    if youre gonna spend the rest of your days wishing you had gotten it...then just go for it. resell later if you have to.
  9. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    As soon as you buy it its value will decrease by quite a bit.

If you have the cash and intend to keep it forever and never sell it then go for it.

If you want to spend the same amount you can probably find a real Leo era Esquire thats been refinished with a few parts replaced I saw one a few weeks ago a 58 Esquire refinisshed with a humbucker route for $6500.
  10. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted

Go for it. I sat waiting to buy a Martin D-18A that spoke to me in spades. $5000 used. When I called the 12th fret in Toronto to buy it it had just been sold. Been kicking my as$ ever since. Like they said you're dead a long time.
  11. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2011
    charlotte, nc
    Isn't a two-pickup Esquire a....Telecaster?

12. hylo

hylo Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2010
    Allright guys. Been pondering over this for a couple of days now. Going over there now to have a look and ask some questions. Gonna make my mind up after that.

Anyways, cheers and thank you for some good and insightful replies!
  13. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    You know your budget....if you can afford it then that is your decision.I think it is overpriced but depending on how picky you are with guitars it still might be something worth considering if you truly believe it has that amazing mojo that you will treasure for the rest of your life.You don't want to be 80 years old saying 'damn,I wish I bought that guitar!'.You'd be better off saying at 80 years old 'yeah,that was the best $6288 I ever spent!'.
  14. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    They say it has no truss rod but you see the walnut plug at the headstock indicating there is one.Maybe they made a mistake on the spec sheet and it does have one which I would absolutely demand on any guitar...especially a $6288 one!
  15. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    The "no truss rod" part would be a deal breaker for me. I am very particular on setups and this means that there is no way to change relief. In addition, varying string gauge may not even be possible.
  16. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    I think if I was spending that much money I'd look for a vintage guitar but if you love it you love it. I guess someone has to buy them!
  17. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 23, 2008
    Cold Spring, NY
    I don't know. I get the feeling that if you really have the money for this thing, and you really wanted it so badly you would have it by now. The GAS will pass on this one. As for collectability.... It's not going to hold its value like any pre-cbs tele. That's for sure. More like a new car, a custom shop guitar will loose money when you "drive it off the lot".
  18. hylo

hylo Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2010
    Well, I was waiting for the pay to get in (bonus).

It really doesn't matter now anyways. It's mine. So that's that.

Will post pictures and stuff afterwards.
  19. hylo

hylo Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2010
    And yes, I'm quite happy with it. :-D

Went with my gut. It told me "buy the bastard".
  20. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast

That's a really great guitar. I've always loved the pic of the Black 2 pup Esquire in the 'Fender: The Golden Age'. Hope you're happy with it for a long time!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.