Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ESP LTD style build with a few twists

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Thx. I feel like we need a picture of your LP as it sits, will you ever work on it again? It was going so well.

2. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Thx Craig, what are you working on these days?

3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Lol, somehow I failed to post the first 6 days of doing that. Terrible oversight on my part.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Ha ! I look at it a few times a week . Maybe I'll start an incomplete project thread and post a pic or 2 or 3 or 4 :eek:
    Will I ever work on it again is a question I've asked myself many times and I still don't have an answer

CraigB likes this.

5. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Central Coast of CA
    Aside from my attitude and general overall disposition :D there's a few things kicking around here...finished up this one a couple weeks ago. Got some parts made by Herb that I'm really excited about using on a couple other builds!

[​IMG]

Muzikp and Zepfan like this.

6. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Missoula, Montana
    Very cool looking build and fun to watch your progress. Concerning the long tenon, how thick is it and how much will be lost from the pickup cavity routes? Will the top be thick enough that the route cuts only minimally into the tenon?

MoMo_the_Peach likes this.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Herb, the Elpee has been on wish list of reads for a long time now.. C'mon, you can do it! :)

CraigB likes this.

8. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    I've read that link in more detail now. Most of that writing is just sales fluff and name dropping, I'm not a fan of how much the writer bashes all other designs as if this one is the only one worth considering. I would say there is maybe 9% plausible info and 91% opinion in that write-up.

At any rate, if the player loves it, it's a great design. If the player hates it, you need to find another player. That's what I've learned about guitar building.

9. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Took the top out of the clamps. Glue joint looks good.

[​IMG]

Run it through the drum sander to make it perfectly flat

[​IMG]

Get centerlines on the body all sorted out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trace the body on the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bummer, still rockin the huge blade on the band saw, someday when I'm rich and famous I can yell at someone to go change that.

[​IMG]

The huge blade only gets me about this close. Can't turn very sharp with that blade.

[​IMG]

But a couple minutes on here and all is well

[​IMG]

This is starting to come together nicely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still wondering how I will go about carving the top. My choices are to do the 4 degree neck and 1.5 degree pickup plane first then the sides, or the sides then the neck and pickup planes. Anybody have an opinion that will line up nicely with what I decide to do?

Things have moved quickly to this point but I suspect there will be a slow down as I work out the carve. I feel like I have a 1/2 day of making carve templates ahead of me, and a few hours in CAD working out the contours for the templates. If I do carve templates that will make the decision regarding the neck, pickup plane first vs. sides first. Have to do sides first with the templates.

h2odog and CraigB like this.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I was merely pointing out the Jaros connection to your approach, this was the 90's or so. I can't recall where I heard that there was a patent pending or filed, but found that that the most interesting part. Like getting a patent on fanned frets, which has existed for centuries I guess... That whole website had a similar tone like that.

11. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Just catching up on this, looks like a very cool build. I've got a Yamaha Weddington Classic that looks like it may be built similar to what you're doing, although as I've never had the pickups out, I can't say if the tenon goes quite as far as yours does. It does allow for amazing upper fret access if you do a back carve similar to what Yamaha did.
    Cheers,
    Woody

12. Brandon Thompson

Brandon Thompson NEW MEMBER!

Mar 29, 2017
    Locust Grove, GA
    Man, I've got to say, this has been a very speedy process up to now. I've never seen the whole process of building a guitar from scratch, so I'm completely in awe. I cannot wait to see how this comes along over the next however-long-it-takes!

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Ok this should be the carve pattern, the fine tuning will come by hand. What do we think?

[​IMG]

CraigB, Barncaster and MoMo_the_Peach like this.

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Thanks. Yes the carve at the neck joint will allow extreme upper fret reach. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha version but it will have a smooth sexy neck joint on the back.

15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Who is this noob?

J/K, good to see you here Brandon. Welcome. I thought you might be interested in following this build ;).

16. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    You ever buy an expensive curly flamey maple board and then do this to it?

[​IMG]

Apparently my downdraft table couldn't keep up. I feel like that could easily be a pile of dollar bills.

On another note, free hand routing has potential for the summer olympics.

You'll notice I opted to glue the carve templates right to the top, what a time saver that was.

First pass

[​IMG]

And more passes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barncaster and MoMo_the_Peach like this.

17. MoMo_the_Peach

MoMo_the_Peach TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Australia
    You have inspired me to do this on my next build.

18. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    I'm sorry :D

19. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Well, slow goes the carve part...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.