Sup TDPRI'ers? It's been a while since I've started a thread, been building and working on stuff just not documenting. I'm endeavoring to build a guitar that's not my typical build. Here's the layout plan of it. I'm excited about it because it's a complicated build with a few features I've never done before. This neck is going to be a challenge to get perfect and the carved top is nothing at all like a Les Paul carve. First step is to prep some maple for the neck. It will be neck-thru style, not the style where you glue on wings for the body, but the neck will go well into the body. Think of it as a really big tenon, like really big... and fat. Cut it down to a workable length, this is probably the longest neck blank I've ever made, even longer than some of the 35" scale bass guitars I've built. Rip it in half, yes I know, exciting documentation, but I must have thought it was important enough to take the picture so now you can enjoy it also. To distract you from the boring photo, notice the yellow bandsaw table. It was a mod to my saw I did a while back, that table sits about 2" lower than the standard table it came with. I also modified the guard on top and made the rollers tuck way up inside the guard. I can now resaw 9" boards on this standard size 14" saw, so there's that. Glue it together and square it all up and we have this really, well... glued up square neck blank, which turns out to be perfectly quartersawn and likely be extremely stable over time. A slab of Alder for the body. This alder is a real nice weight, has great grain, and is about 2" thick. Sounds like an online wood dating profile. Usual stuff, cut it down to size, run it through the joiner and planer to get it square and the correct thickness... I think in an old thread I vowed never to post another picture of a piece of wood sitting on a joiner, guess I let myself down. I purposely put the glue joint off center because I could make the grain match almost perfect and you would really have to stare at it a while to determine it wasn't a one piece body. Came out great. I've drawn a reference center line on here since I can't use the glue joint as a centerline. You can see how well the grain matches, the glue joint is obviously where the longer board is attached to the shorter. Here is the build drawing, it's different than the layout plan I posted at the top. I don't plan on making a template for this one, not likely to build a lot of these so we are going straight to the hardwood, hopefully no mistakes as those would be costly with this method. So straight to the body with the plan And then straight to the bandsaw. Which incidentally has a huge blade on it from book matching some tops recently, I didn't feel like changing it so it took some work to do the corners with the huge blade. But I hacked away at it and made this A bit of sanding on the ROSS and it's starting to look like something. I can't remember the last time I used a template and router to cut a body. Sanding it takes longer but guarantees no tear out and produces fantastic results which can't always be said about the router. Can you find the glue joint (don't cheat and look at the end grain). Actually I can see it pretty clearly but I know where it is so my eye goes right to it. The body can sit and warp and twist for a while now, I'll flatten it all out again if it moves and let it sit one more time, or more until it stops moving, if it moves at all.