Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ES-Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PastorJay, May 1, 2018.

1. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    54 goldtops are the one Les Paul I have a serious desire for. Nobody does them though .. epiphone has the 56 with the TOM bridge, and Gibson has done a couple with TOMs or Bigsbys .. I like the simplicity of the wraparound though. intonation be damned.

Jimmy Owen and jonnyfez like this.

2. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I have a wrap around tailpiece/bridge combo on a PRS and don’t have any problems with intonation, so I wouldn’t sweat that. Certainly, you can’t micro manage intonation string by string, but you may not need to either once you get the bridge well positioned.

jonnyfez likes this.

3. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004

They are really nice. I got the ES-LP Standard which was a limited edition run of 200 without the f-holes. They're light and have their own unique sound. Compared to a regular Les Paul, I find that you get more clarity with a little less bottom end. They sound more ES to me than the ES-339 does. The ES-339 sounds more LP to me.

It does have a slightly different feel on the neck. The top isn't as curved so it's flatter and boxier. The neck joint is a little more cumbersome and I find the edges dig into my stomach a little more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2blue2, gwjensen, teletimetx and 2 others like this.

4. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Sweet! What are the pups? Gibson Classic ‘57s? (I love Gibson’s ‘57s.)

5. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Gibson MHS Humbuckers. They're a little more open sounding, but I prefer 57 classics as well.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I don't like the f-holes on those so the ones without would appeal to me, but right now I'd be more interested in a 339 (even though it has f-holes).

7. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    The 339 - wonderful model - it’s the “compact” version of a 335.

8. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    My f-hole-free ES Les is my favorite Les Paul ever. MHS pickups likely have a lot to do with the crazy clarity.

[​IMG]

9. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA
    So...

L-ES Paul ???

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

LESs Paul :lol:

oyobass likes this.

11. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA
    That would make the 11 pound, non-weight-relieved models More Pauls?
    ES models could be More-or-Les(s) Pauls...
    :D

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm interested in a Les Paul/More Tele hybrid.

oyobass likes this.

13. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA
    Like this? lesPlaulTele.jpg

2blue2 and BigDaddyLH like this.

14. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    My buddy has an ES Les Paul. It's an interesting guitar. I enjoy playing it. It is a different experience from my LP Classic for sure. I'd get one in a heartbeat if I found one. I'm sure my wife would adopt it as soon as she played it. The Classic is too heavy for her to be comfortable with.

15. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Heavy weight turns a lot of people off to Les Pauls. I don’t enjoy playing them because of the weight and being as small as they are, they aren’t as ergonomic for playing while sitting down. I am tempted to trade my Les Paul Standard for an ES Les Paul, however, because I much prefer the light weight of the ES - and it would balance better on the leg. That said, my ES-339 models seem about ideal in size (just slightly larger than a Les Paul) and light weight and they sound very much like an ES Les Paul. They don't sound exactly like a regular Les Paul, but quite similar.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Andy B likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.