Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ES-Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PastorJay, May 1, 2018.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I had never seen one of these before this morning. Fascinating looking guitar.

Anybody play one? Got one? What do you think?

2. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I take it the answer to "anybody play one or got one" is "no."

3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    A friend of mine thought about getting one a couple of years ago, which is as close as I’ve gotten.

It does look interesting and if I had a bunch of money I’d probably buy one to check it out. The idea of a lightweight LP is attractive after owning one of the early 70s heavyweights for 45 years.

PastorJay likes this.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I don't know why they made it, it seems to me that a 339 would be fine. The ESLP is only a little smaller. I don't see it sounding differently. Only size and shape being different.

PastorJay likes this.

5. I'd go 339 myself (and I did)... they never really caught my eye... (picked up my 339 on Reverb (CME) new for $740 out the door!)

20180320_151257.jpg

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^ I can't tell - is the body bound?

PastorJay likes this.

7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    Here's mine that I've had for a short time. Imagine a 54 LP that only weighs 6 pounds. Bought this as a CME "floor model." Feels and sounds great. The neck p90 is to die for - warm and wooly. Middle position has serious honk. The bridge pickup is pretty close to my Jr. No complaints other than I may need to have the nut slots worked on a bit.

Attached Files:

PastorJay and Minimalist518 like this.

8. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    After years of having numerous Les Pauls, the only Les Paul I would buy today would be an ES-Les Paul, simply because I play sitting down and don't like the heavy weight, imbalance, and small size of a regular Les Paul while playing sitting. I would be more comfortable playing an ES-Les Paul than playing a regular Les Paul.

But as grolan1 did, I decided to go to ES-339 (one Epi and one Gibson) instead of ES-Les Paul, because they are just slightly larger, making them much more comfortable to play while sitting. (ES-335 is significantly larger than the ES-339, thus I prefer the 339.)

ES-339 and Les Paul Special - as you can see, the ES-339 is only slightly larger than a Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

2blue2, Zepfan, jonnyfez and 2 others like this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I don't know a soul who owns one, and I know a ton of guitar players.
    I've seen a few at GC.
    Guess I'll try one next time I can.
    Now I'm curious.
    I've had a ton of Les Pauls and ES type guitars.
    Like em both.
    I have a LP Custom and an ES 335.
    Hmmmm.....

PastorJay likes this.

10. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA
    I almost bought an Epiphone Les Paul ES, but then I compared Youtube clips of it to an Ibanez JSM 10 ES335-type semi hollow. The Ibby won hands-down and arrives via FedEx tomorrow.
    When I finish paying off the Ibanez, the Epiphone LP ES may still be next on my list...
    The thought of a lightweight Les Paul is quite appealing.

markal and PastorJay like this.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    All the Gibson models of ESLP's that I've seen had HB's in them. I wasn't aware they offered one with P90's.

I was tempted a few years ago by ES-LP clones that Guitarfetish sells(The Xavier Guitars) because you could get one with regular sized HB's, Mini-Tron's or P90's. I was very interested in having one with P90's and one with MiniTrons.

Epiphone's ESLP Pro with Probuckers looks like a good deal.

PastorJay likes this.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I have played one and didn't bond at all. I latter purchssed a 339, which I did bond with a bit better.

PastorJay and DHart like this.

13. HybridTele

HybridTele TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Strange bird... They made a few variations - cheaper ones and very nice ones.
    Although the very nice ones were verrrrrrrrry nice, It's NOT a Les Paul, and it's NOT an ES.

Probably not much of an audience for it, but they should have NAMED it differently!!

oyobass likes this.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Harley, (my Avatar) is a Puggle = Pug + Beagle. He's not a Pug and not a Beagle. See?

oyobass likes this.

15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I've seen them over the years. The first ones I remember were in about 94/95. They looked cooler the first few times I saw them.

For me, I would go with a 3x5 before I bought one, but I also tend to be more on the traditional side.

16. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    What model is that one ? My google-fu is coming up short.

That ticks SO many boxes for me though ...

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I bought and returned two.

They are not a 335 and they are decidedly not an LP. IMO.

The way the neck joins the body, the angle. They look like an LP but don't feel or or play like one.

I'd rather have an LP. You can find Classics in the 8lb or less range anyway.

As others mentioned, much prefer the '339 or in my case '336. The ergonomics seem better to me.

18. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    It's the ES-Les Paul P-90 VOS - they made a version with a wrap bridge (mine), a version with a TOM, and a version with a Bigsby. CME blew them out for "cheap." So glad I got one. It's like a small ES-295. I love it. Certainly feels like a Les Paul to me - albeit one that doesn't weigh a ton. Great feeling neck. Wonderful pickups. IMG_9169.jpg

2blue2 and Zepfan like this.

19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    They look wrong to me.

It's *like* a 339, and *like* a Les Paul, but fails at being either one of those things.

20. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    There is no “failure” here, at all.

It's not trying to be anything other than what it is, which is a semi-hollow bodied Les Paul.

It is it's own unique guitar. And as such, it's awesome!

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    jonnyfez likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.