Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ES-339 or another semi hollow?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sothoth, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I'm a big Iby semihollow fan. IMO, I prefer the way they play over the epi/gibby semi's. When you go to look, give one a shot.

Hiker and awasson like this.
  2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Looking for a smaller size, this one might get you that. (Ibanez AGS73FM).

I love shopping for guitars for other people... its cheaper than when I do it for myself!

[​IMG]

LocoTex, Zepfan, Hiker and 2 others like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The new Epiphone Johnny A is $999, and has lots of cool features.
    It’s long scale, has an ebony fretboard, Bigsby and (real) Gibson 57 Classic pickups.
    It’s a looker, too!

ruger9 likes this.
  4. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    That one is pretty :)

5. sothoth

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    That one looks nice. Is it a 339-sized body? I can’t see from the pictures. On Reverb there are two used ones under $900 :)

ruger9 likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    It's slightly bigger than a Les Paul.
    It looks much nicer than a 339, IMO.

7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I think this was a 2017 limited edition. I was looking into it about a year ago and they were sold out everywhere. Used may be the only choice. Also, I think it is more of a 335 size. But SO awesome!

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yeah, I know... Crazy huh. I've just been extremely lucky with that guitar and maybe it was one of those things that didn't want to be discarded along the way. I was probably as irresponsible as the next guy and maybe even more. I shudder thinking back on some of the situations where that guitar could have been stolen or just lost. I did lose things like speaker cabs, amps, PA's and heads but that guitar managed to stay with me all that time. I've been playing telecasters and Strats for about the last 4 or 5 years but since I did the pickup swap on the Ibanez on the weekend, I'm back in love with it. It plays itself and makes me sound much, much better than I really am. My solid body Ibanez is the same way. It's really well built.

Hey @sothoth, sorry for the hijack. I'm looking forward to what you end up getting. I'd suggest getting your hands on the type you're thinking about just to get the feel, weight, balance and the all important neck. The selector on my semi-hollow body guitar is down below the bridge and it just seems natural to me. Make sure wherever the controls are, works for you. I got really good at spinning the volume down after every song when I was playing and it just happens naturally for me now but I've had it forever. Same with selecting pickups neck/bridge. I got really good at it over time. I'm not as fluent with my strat & tele yet.

Anyway, yeah. Looking forward to seeing what you get.

9. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

May 25, 2016
    Hood River, OR
    Funny but the first few responses you got were for guitars I've recently acquired. This last summer I bought an Epi ES Les Paul Pro and I've recently acquired a used 2017 PRS Zach Myers. They are both really nice guitars. In contrast, I also have a DeArmond Starfire Custom (335 clone) and Epi ES 175 Premium, as well as a Modern Player Deluxe tele thinline. I like semi's and hollow bodies!
    The ES Les Paul is a full hollow body, so it is very light and resonant. Under 6lbs I believe. The Probucker pickups are actually quite nice with a good range of sounds. Coil splitting as well that I don't use much. Very well made - pretty much flawless, as I've come to expect from Chinese guitars lately. Nice beefy neck on it and well balanced with no neck dive like I was expecting.
    The PRS Zack Myers I picked up in great shape for less than $500. It's a stunning guitar. The SE series, though made in Korea, all pass through the US factory for inspection and set up. I bought it on a whim and I just can't get over how good it is, particularly the neck. It's a little beefier than the PRS wide thin profile and comes with a nice satin finish on the back that is not sticky. The fretboard and fret work are first class. The stock zebra pickups sounded great, but I got an itch so I scratched it with some SD Seth Lovers. Sounds fantastic. It's quite a bit heavier than the EPI at about 7.5 lbs, but not a boat anchor.
    Neither of these guitars have the fullness of the bigger bodies, but they strike a nice balance. Between the two, I usually grab the PRS. It just has that special something.
    JP
    IMG_20180930_220936758.jpeg IMG_20181105_130614799.jpeg InShot_20180616_161929092.jpeg

Zepfan, awasson and LocoTex like this.
  10. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    My Epi 339 with P90's just may be the best guitar I've ever played. Comfortable and sounds fantastic.

20181020_181847.jpeg

Fearnot, darren7, Zepfan and 3 others like this.
  11. sothoth

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    No worries, man, it's all fair game on a discussion forum. At least your hijack is an entertaining one :)

awasson likes this.
  12. sothoth

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    How is that guitar in terms of tone and resonance? I'll try to play one as well but would appreciate your feedback. The nice thing about the LP is that I'm comfortable with the neck and body profile of the solid body version already. Is the hollow body version thicker than the solid? I think that's my main concern. My old Gretsch hollow body was pretty thick and it interfered with my beer gut and I ended up having to pick sides and the Gretsch lost.

13. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

May 25, 2016
    Hood River, OR
    If say it's a pretty even split between a bigger 335 type and a solid body. It's a little more open sounding than the PRS, but that's not really a surprise since it's a hollow body and the PRS is just slightly weight relieved.
    The Epi is fantastically comfortable and light and I don't believe it's thicker than a standard one.

14. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    The Epi Johnny A can be found used for under $1000 sometimes, full hollow.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  15. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    The johnny A is more 339-sized...

lower bout sizes:

tele, les paul 12-3/4”-13”

339 and Johnny A 14”

Gretsch and 335 16”-16-1/2” (alot bigger)

etype and awasson like this.
  16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    This for $700 seriously smokes the Gibson. I have both. electric-guitar-hofner-verythin-small-body-tb-1_600x600.progressive.jpg

mimmo, etype, Zepfan and 1 other person like this.
  17. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’m kinda digging those ES Les Paul’s. Nice compact size, low weight and there’s something about the Les Paul’s dimensions that really grabs me. They’re one of the most attractive guitar designs to me. I can just sit and admire them for hours. Like an ES335 or a Strat.

I’m absolutely not in the market for a new guitar but I’ve got a feeling I’ll be over at the guitar shop checking those ES Les Paul’s out. They make it too easy too with their financing over 24 months. This could mean trouble.

jsp737 likes this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Fender Japan was making Thinline Strat's and Jazzmaster's last year. Now Fender America has the Eric Johnson Thinline Strat.

19. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Zepfan and ruger9 like this.
  20. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Zepfan, darren7 and ruger9 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.