Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

ES-335 style guitar pickups replacement ideas

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tomas83, Jul 17, 2013.

1. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I visited the Seymour Duncan page and it got me thinking about pickups. My current stock ones sound very good (Peavey) I'm simply curious what could I do different. (Screw you GAS or GIS in this case - guitar improvement syndrome!).
    My JF1EX is all maple, rosewood fingerboard, tune-o-matic bridge with a stop tailpiece. Current pickups are 7.4 k (neck) and 12 k (bridge) DC. I play mostly with my fingers and while I really love the sound of p90's and "lipstick alnico" (Danelectro) pickups, I guess I need humbuckers some of the stuff I play. My only dilemma is that I play lot of open chords with distortion and I want them to be as "clear" as possible. I was looking at those Phat cats… Also I want to say that I wouldn't mind other Peavey pickups (like the p90's from Firenza f.e.)

What do you think?
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'd suggest TV Jones Classics, Classic +, or Supertrons.
    You will probably need the English mounting bezels.
    The are the perfect pickups for clarity and snarl, IMO.
  3. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks, I'm gonna look right at them!
    Update: they do sound really nice. I think I liked the Classic Plus the most, but that one comes only in bridge.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. adam.gotch

adam.gotch Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2012
    Santa Barbara
    If you're thinking of going with Duncan, the Phat Cats are an excellent choice. I have a set of them in a 335 and they sound fantastic.
  6. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Yeah Scott, they surely did inspire me. The thing I'm not sure about is the DC resistance is lower on PC than my stock bridge. What kind of impact is that going to have on my not super powerful overdrive channel on my Classic VTX?
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    + Probably that for your (p90) wishes..

wish you luck..............

ps..I hate working on hollow bodies..something always goes wrong when
    I do
  8. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2009
    southern indiana
    I use string with mine. When I'm ready I pull the string and the pot or whatever comes back out.
  9. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks, does it make any difference that JF1 is a semi-hollow?
  10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    For Duncan Humbuckers:

Seth Lovers & Antiquities are great pickups - but on the vintage side of things. Bright, not that much output etc...

Alnico Pro II maybe just a tad fuller in the mids - great with distortion

59 is also great, but bright as well. the JB bridge humbucker is a great classic choice for what you are describing & generally is paired with a 59 in the neck.
  11. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks for your input, I'll give all those a consideration.
  12. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2013
    Yorkshire, UK
    The Creamery pickups

Shed Pickups

I've got some Shed Vintage P90s which are unbelievable good.

I'm sure both winders do bucker size p90. the Creamery winds his own Wide Range style buckers which I've heard are far more articulate than regular HBs.
  13. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks, I've checked his page and his work is definitely great. Lots of options on there as well…
  14. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I put the Dimarzio Eric Johnson DP211 and DP212 pickups in my 335.

Holy Cow they are wonderful!!!! Eric Johnson told Dimarzio that he wanted a Les Paul humbucker pickup that sounded like a Gretsch Country Gentlemen. These pickups are just perfect for my 335... clean, crisp, jazzy, luscious, not hot which I love...

So yes I highly recommend the Dimarzio's DP211/DP212 pickups for any 335.
  15. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    And, since no one's mentioned them yet: GFS Mean 90s. I put one in the neck of my Ibanez AF75 hollowbody. Super clean and powerful and a great price.
  16. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks. What woods is your 335 made of? I'll check Eric Johnson's sound with LP. They seem very interesting, thanks
  17. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks, I'll look them up.
  18. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have both "Seth Lovers" and "Classic 59's" Really like both. Another cool feature that's available is the Duncan "Triple Shot pickup rings", when used with a 4 wire version you get many sound/tone options at the flick of a micro switch built into the ring. very easy wiring and very cool/versatile pickups!
  19. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thank you. That triple shot ring sounds very neat! SD has great service for sure.
  20. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    What's in your Jorma Kaukonen Epiphone?
  21. Rendra Doolz

Rendra Doolz TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Mine Seymour Duncan JB on the bridge and '59 on the neck..
    Quite fantastic if u're into alternative rock, post-rock and a bit bluesy stuffs..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.