Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

ES-335 Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Pickalittle, Sep 13, 2009.

1. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    First gig with my IBANEZ AS80 last nite....... Absolutely loved my tone.......

2. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    I've been working towards getting a 335, a desire that emerged after a friend loaned me his '86 dot. Looking around, I saw the pros and cons of the affordable alternatives, and stuck with my belief that even though more money is spent on the Gibson, particularly a good vintage one, you can often get all of that back and more, where you sometimes have to take a big loss on the asian ones to get rid of them especially if you’ve done mods.

Well, so much for best laid plans... I happened in to a store I like in the area that does a lot of consignment and there on the rack is a nice used Ibanez Artcore AS83 of a kind I had been seeing good reviews for, at a good price. They had a princeton set up right there and this guitar won me over after just a few chords, ceramic pickups notwithstanding (soon to get SD SH-1’s). Really liked the neck (though a little fret dressing needed as shown in photo), and the body resonance, with just a bit of the patina of age, and a nice SKB hard case, for $425 + tax.

There’s a Rev Gary Davis love song that goes something like, “I’m not a milkman and I’m not a milkman’s son, but I can milk your cow until a real one comes along…”

full frnt.jpg nk jnt.jpg

Attached Files:

richiek65, richey88 and Teleposer like this.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Is the ES-345TDN/SVT model permitted here too?

4. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    I'm getting my first ever 335 in a few days. Can't wait.

It's a Black one. A Revelation.

I played one in a local music shop but I didn't like the colour, so I ordered this one on line. I'm really excited. This is a major departure for me being a Strat man, and then later a Tele guy.

Robben Ford and Larry Carlton say 'Hi!'.

I'll post some pics maybe. It's not a Gibson, but it's a beauty all the same.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Is there any downside to leaving it stock stereo? There can't be that many around that are still 100% original.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    The Varitone circuitry of that time was designed around full stereo operation. A mono summing cable is loaded down by the circuit which can make stereo guitars of that vintage sound dark. Plugged into two amps, it's crystal clear and bright.

I think people make summing cables for mono, hear the loading effects and assume the guitar itself is dark

I use mine with external switcher I made which eliminates the problem at the expense of the middle position tone.

There is a wiring mod for mono that keeps the varitone but uses just one of the two chokes.

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Notice in my pix above that I have the stereo outputs plugged into separate channel inputs: the neck-pickup into the NORM channel and the bridge-pickup into the REV channel.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs

10. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    Got my 335 today. Yay!

It's made by Revelation. I managed to bag one of the last few in the country with rosewood fretboards as CITES comes in to effect and they have stopped selling them here (UK) - maple only now, I'm afraid.

I went for the Black as opposed to Cherry Red.

I could have bought a very nice Epiphone Dot for only a few bucks more, but I played one of these the other day in a guitar shop and they are very very nice and sound great with those Entwistle humbuckers.

The Epi didn't have binding either, but it seems to be a superb guitar for under 300 GBP. Mine was a few quid less than this again.

I believe they are also changing the shape of the cutouts in future versions - so less 335 like again.

I really like the black. It just cries out 'put a Bigsby B3 on me' - any advice at all for rigging this with a Bigsby would be greatly appreciated. It's another thing I have absolutely no experience with. Had a quick look at models but can't tell the difference. Plenty of time anyway.

The pups are Entwistle HV 58's if you are interested. Not sure the exact model, but these seem similar:

Absolutely superb pick-ups.

The finish on this guitar is second to none as well. I'm glad I got one before they changed the shape and put a monstrosity of a maple fingerboard on it!

I've been playing a few decades and never owned a semi before. Really excited. I'll try and post a couple of original pics when I get the chance.
    brookdalebill and Humbuster like this.

11. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2009
    en route.
    Seems like a proper Axe mate, well done. This Yank will hoist a pint in your honor tonight. Play in good health.
    brookdalebill and Teleposer like this.

12. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    Cheers fella! Likewise.

This Revelation pipped the Epiphone at the post on this one. But I'll be buying an SG soon and I definitely think Epiphone do the best lower priced models there.

This guitar doesn't have a massively wide range of tone. It's woody. Quite 'middley' if that makes sense. It goes a bit brighter a bit darker. Not massive tonal range at all. But it's ok. The sweet spot is sweet enough to keep me happy.

I play acoustic quite a bit, being a songwriter as well as a guitarist, and it's nice to have a guitar that I can play without being plugged in. It's not acoustic loud, but it's louder than the rest of my electric guitars.

It's not every day you get to have a new experience with a new guitar after playing as long as I have. But today was a good day.

You can play blues on it and play rock on it and all the rest. But something about it just sings out when you play those jazz chords, 6ths, m7#5, m7b5 - that kind of thing.

It's a big guitar but it's not heavy - quite comfortable to play. I don't know, it's got a bit of magic to it.

I get the whole place to myself tomorrow and I'm going to let rip on it. Bit of a tease so far.

Looking forward to see what this baby can really do, when I plug her in and turn her up.

13. Pliny Junior

Pliny Junior TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Shreveport, LA

14. murdude

murdude TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    I guess I could be here. I bought this new in 1972. It has a bit of road wear but I love her.

15. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Daymn, beautiful. Like a big idiot I sold my Ibanez 335 I had in the early 80's. Who knew back then that it was one of the best 335's ever built. Back then a Japanese made guitar was looked down on. I sold it to buy an American strat.

16. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Just got this new Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Really digging it so far! I could definitely see it becoming my #1:

Lotan, Pointmonger and moosie like this.

17. Lotan

Lotan TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Nice guitar! I just bought a very expensive Gibson ES335 memphis satin sunburst. It plays awful.. There's blemishes on it, the fret ends were not smoothed down.. Might never play it.. What's your Epiphone like to play??

18. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    [​IMG]ES335 by Franklin Rabon, on Flickr

Glad to join!

2017 Gibson Memphis ES335 flamed tobacco sunburst.

19. PacificaChris

PacificaChris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jul 1, 2014
    I had a tobacco sunburst 335 about that time. Nobody I knew did years in those days so I don't know what year it was built. I got it used in 1972 so it was probably two or three years old then. I have a newer 335 now but I'd trade in a heartbeat for an old one with a lyre like that. Actually, I know I'd have to add in some cash to make that deal . . .

Does yours have the Norlin volute? Mine had a crack right behind the nut where that volute later went but it had never been broken. I think it was because so many broke that Gibson started putting that volute on the thin necks.

Here's a picture of mine from 1976:

ES-335 1976 Mtn View.jpg

20. PacificaChris

PacificaChris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jul 1, 2014
    After my last post, I checked to see if I ever posted about the one I own currently.

I hadn't! It's a 2008 Memphis Custom Shop Satin Cherry. This picture doesn't show the interesting 'birthmark' in the flame pattern very well. I like it fine but I'm looking to trade it towards a late '60s 335 like I used to have. See previous post.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.