Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ES-335 Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Pickalittle, Sep 13, 2009.

1. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Silicon Valley, CA
    So you guys are picking up on exactly why I dig this guitar so much. The sticker inside says "es335 P90", so it seems likely it is a special run 335. I had never found the right combo of center block, TOM/STP, and P90s I wanted all in the same guitar that played and felt right to me. I played this at my bands rehearsal last night and it sounded killer....I can see having one with PAFs someday as well.

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Here's a pic of my 3 ES guitars. 2 are pawnshop scores and one was a customer barter.

Here's a pic of my '70 & '83 Dot with my '63 330 joining in the fun.

[​IMG]

3. SquishyNotes

SquishyNotes TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2017
    USA
    A new member here, I joined just for this thread! I've enjoyed looking at all of these beautiful guitars. Recently my wife and I were talking about me getting another guitar. I currrently play a Parker Fly Deluxe. It's an original when Ken was still making them; a really fun guitar, but definately a jack of all trades and master of none. While down in Chicago visiting family, my bride graciously took the kids and said, "Hey, take as much time as you need and go to Chicago Music Exchange".

Yeah, she's the best.

So, I knew I wanted to try 335s, Strats, and Les Paul's. I spent all day there (didn't realize I was hungry until I left). Mike at CME was great, spent all day bringing me guitars, including two wonderful LPs.

In the end though, I couldn't get over that woody, midrangey "bloom" or "compression" or whatever you want to call it, a certain reactiveness unique to the 335s when compared to the Strats and LPs. It must be the semi-hollow body? Is this what you all hear and love, too? I would love to hear what it is about the tone that gives you all the eyes-closed-jaw-slacked face when playing. :)

And the versatility!!! I wasn't necessarily looking for a guitar that tried to do it all, been down that road. I knew it would do bluesy jazzy classic rock sounds really well, but the way it chews up hard rock plexi type tones, even mark series mesa sounds... I was shocked. I spent a lot of time comparing the 335s and LPs with those type of tones, expecting the LPs to blow the 335 away. Yes, the LPs were obviously different sounding, more aggressive. However, the 335 wasn't bad different with higher gain, but good different to my ears. In the end, I liked the woody bloom of the 335 too much, and even two custom LPs that were VERY attractively priced lost out.

They had several 335s that CME had custom spec'd from Memphis, a stock faded lightburst, and a nice stock satin finished cherry red. To my hands and ears, they all sounded and felt very close. The lightburst finish won the battle of the eyes though. CME also moved down from sticker significantly, which was really cool.

So, here she is!

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

4. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    Welcome aboard, Squishy, and congrats on the beautiful guitar.

I think you have nailed it. 335s are very special in that way

telefan62 likes this.

5. Priddo

Priddo TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Sydney AUSTRALIA
    IMG_1922.JPG
    1990 Dot. Lollar Low Wind Imperials. Tone heaven.

6. Priddo

Priddo TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Sydney AUSTRALIA
    IMG_1924.JPG A better shot of my 1990 Dot, Lollar Low Wind Imperials

rze99 and hrstrat57 like this.

7. SquishyNotes

Mar 27, 2017
    USA
    Priddo, I like the subtle flame on that top. Very nice.

8. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2015
    Glasgow, Scotland
    That is one beautiful guitar. I've been half thinking about a budget 335 type (particularly the Ibanez AM93), but the wood and finish on that Gibson has me GASsing. I'm sure it's worth the moolah :)

9. SquishyNotes

Mar 27, 2017
    USA
    Thanks Dukex. I haven't been this excited about a guitar in a long time. These guitars are almost as fun to look at as they are to play.

I'm still totally digging the unique response of the 335. With the Parker, it responds very accurately, the whole wood and composite body really vibrates when you play it. But it is a very direct, immediate response.

The 335s response is much more complex, which must be due to the sound waves traveling along the solid wood block and then bouncing around inside the hollow wings.

Play the Parker, it stands at attention, salutes, says "Yes, sir!", and quickly and emphatically gives you what you asked for.

Play the 335, it sits back, thinks about it a little bit, then says, "Ok, let's take that and jazz it up some..." and slowly gives you a little more than what you asked for.

Duotone, moosie and Dukex like this.

10. SquishyNotes

Mar 27, 2017
    USA
    Thanks Tecelaster. That was the only lightburst in stock that day, but I really liked the grain pattern on it compared to some others I had seen online. I think some of those tobacco finishes Ibanez has on their hollow bodies look pretty fantastic, too.

11. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal

Agreed, every little push, pull, nudge, or caress brings out the tonal dynamics and complexities. No verb or trem needed.

12. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    1959 Blonde and 1964 Cherry 335s. 20170314_174005.jpg

T-Bone, cam.man67, Agitator and 7 others like this.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

14. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Here's my IBANEZ....I think they are a better build than the epis....I can say that as I've owned an epi and it didn't sound nearly as good as this ibanez.jpg

Straydogger and SquishyNotes like this.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

If I every buy another guitar it will be a 335.

16. SquishyNotes

Mar 27, 2017
    USA
    Very cool. Original owner?

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    44 yr old all original & stock stereo... I'm weighing up a mono conversion.

IMG_3022.JPG

T-Bone and SquishyNotes like this.

18. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.

I agree. My Ibanez AS73 with added Gibson 57 Classic/Classic plus pickups. Original wiring, pots, etc. It's a rocker! A "poor man's" 335. 100_2870.JPG

SquishyNotes and ce24 like this.

19. SquishyNotes

Mar 27, 2017
    USA
    Beautiful.

20. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    No I'm happy not to be the original owner or I'd be even older than I am!! Had the 64 since 89 though.:D

T-Bone likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.