Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ES-335 Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Pickalittle, Sep 13, 2009.

1. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You're no help :lol:

hrstrat57 likes this.

2. fenderville50

fenderville50 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Ohio
    The ES 335 got here safely, was well wrapped, padded and packaged. The instrument is beautiful, not a flaw anywhere that I can see. Gibson Memphis "Certificate of Authenticity" in the case. Quality appears to be excellent. Action and set up are very good. I put on new d'addario 10s (it came with 10s also I believe). Specifics on this one: Gloss sunset burst finish (nitro I believe), block fret markers, "slim" neck (which I prefer as I usually play teles and a strat). Pickups are burstbuster, tone is great through DRRI, somewhat bright, not dark sounding but still warm. Chords/chord melody sound great. Will try in a Vibrolux also and then in a HRDlx at practice next week. I have put on Schaller strap locks.

I'll post pictures when I get the chance. Talk about a nice Christmas this year...

I think Chicago Music Exchange did an excellent job with the packing and delivery, their checklist was included in the case. First time I bought an instrument online/unplayed, this one worked out. Very glad I moved on this deal and I appreciate your positive comments.

moosie likes this.

3. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    ^Glad you like it. Yes, it's nitro finish. :)

I live for situations like this. Although usually they don't exist for such a long time. Often there's only a handful, or one, guitar, priced insanely due to some factor that has nothing to do with the instrument.

I see there are still a half dozen or more available. Hard to compare specs sometimes, but these would normally run around $3300, I think. Even the best holiday discount doesn't come close.

4. blowery

blowery Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2015
    CO
    335 (copy) :D

Yamaha SA-1100 (1998) my wife and kids gave me for christmas. ALWAYS been a strat man, same strat for 19 years...
    This guitar is awesome, HUGE sounding, WAY louder than the strat. Some very cool tones on the SA.
    I still think my neck pickup is too high/hot. Going to lower it a littler more.

[​IMG]

adamkavanagh and brookdalebill like this.

5. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2012
    ca
    I had one and wish I had kept it and done this to it.

6. pulteney

pulteney TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Verona, Italy
    Hello everyone!

I'd like to buy a natural/blonde dot 335 and I've just found the one in attachment. I do prefer plain-top 335s but they're so difficult to find!

I was wondering in which year Gibson started releasing figured-top 335s, a long ago or rather recently? In other words, are figured tops a fad or classic?

Thanks for your help!

M

Attached Files:

7. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    New member of this club!
    1973 ES 335, excellent condition, all original except for tuners (now Grovers).
    Original case still had the hang tag in it. IMG_9202.JPG IMG_9203.JPG
    View attachment 407842

Attached Files:

8. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2009
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Very nice! Just like mine only way shinier! That's a nice case too. Mine is apparently original with tags but the guitar fits so loose maybe in 1973 they improved the cases slightly

4telecaster4 and T-Bone like this.

9. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2011
    723351.jpg 723352.jpg ut1oechvpikfs3kkw231.jpg
    I just got this from Sam Ash. It plays beautifully and sounds just as good! The story is that it was sold in the Albany area in 1968. its a es340...but in 1972 it was sent to Gibson to fix the neck...It came back with a new mahogany neck dated 1972. Replaced by Gibson. Electronics were changed to 335. It has a lot of natural checking....A great guitar at a great price. Plus its returned back to the area it first was sold in 1968. So its a 1968 body with a 1972 neck. The other cool thing is the case. There is something about older wood. I've tried many newer 335's....but there is something about that older wood!

Attached Files:

hrstrat57, T-Bone and brookdalebill like this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    image.jpeg
    Love that look!
    Here's my wannabe 1975 Guild Starfire IV.

11. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    @T-Bone I sat here for like 15 seconds trying to figure out what the graphic on the bottom of your guitar was. In the second picture- some sort of guy with his hands wrapped around the tailpiece? Is it a band graphic? Is it a statement on the meaning of music? Why would someone put some kind of super-subtle graphic on an Es-335? Actually, I kind of like it. I wonder if it costs a lot extra. What IS that?

... Oh

T-Bone likes this.

12. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Hahaha!
    If you're in Toronto I can arrange to post a pic of the same subtle graphic on your 335

thesamhill likes this.

13. Pliny Junior

Pliny Junior TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Three Amigos .. '65, '58, and '59
    Three Amigos '65, '58, and '59.jpg

pondcaster, Garcon and brookdalebill like this.

14. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2009
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    @T-Bone you're from Toronto, sweet! I'm from Ottawa. I've been really temped many times to put a stop tailpiece on my walnut 335. Someone stop me

15. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Ha! Well, sadly, not very close to Toronto. But it looks sharp- with or without the mystery graphic!

16. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas

17. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Looks like I'm a newly legit 335 club member here after this past weekend. I'm still learning my way around the Gibson nomenclature but, as far as I can tell, this is my 2007 Historic ES-335 ’59 RI...w/stock P90's upgraded to SD Antiquities. Its the honeymoon period, I suppose, but I do love this guitar... IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0962.JPG

4telecaster4 likes this.

18. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    I'm not really sure what you have there besides a gorgeous guitar, but it looks like a long neck ES 330. ES 335s have PAFs and ES 330s have P90s. Hopefully someone will have the answer.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    ^Well, if it's the Musician's friend one, it won't be a Historic '59, then, I don't believe. Not sure what they were doing back in 2007.

And if it's a 330, where's the bail tailpiece?

I'm betting it's a special run 335. Nice burst!

Here's a Historic '59 330:

DSC01830.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.