Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Eric Johnson/ Musikraft Strat Partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by stratman82, Jan 3, 2018.

1. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK
    Now that I've switched to a tortoise pickguard I think this is probably the finished article. At least until I decide to switch to an all maple neck that is!

Fender Eric Johnson body (white blonde, 4lbs 2 oz)
    Musikraft neck (LP .87 - .97 back profile, dark rosewood board with 12" radius).
    Callaham vintage style tremolo
    Gotoh Locking tuners (staggered height so no string tree).
    Fender tortoise pickguard
    Bare Knuckle Irish Tour pre-wired pickup set
    Schaller strap locks

Total weight a bit heavier than I'd hoped for at 7 lbs 13.9oz (7.87) but still under 8lbs which was the intention. Plenty of Fender CS strats in that ballpark.

It was a learning exercise and in retrospect I probably wouldn't have mixed a 50s style body with a 60s style (rosewood) neck but I think it looks pretty cool. "Vintage Inspired"!

IMG_4301.jpg IMG_4302.JPG

Here it is pre pickguard change with an off-white Callaham pickguard....I think it looks better with tortoise, makes the body seem "brighter", at least it does in decent light. The Eric Johnson strats are pretty grey looking. Get the impression it'll yellow a bit with time though.

IMG_3735.JPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Québec
    How does this beauty sound?

4. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK
    Sounds good. The Irish Tour set are slightly overwound but very warm. I have the metal plate optional extra on the bridge pickup to thicken it up.

Partscasters are a bit of a lottery I guess but seems to have come together well and its fairly resonant despite being slightly overweight.

Smylight and Fiesta Red like this.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    That doesn't matter....what counts is it LOOKS so good...;)

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I love tortoiseshell pickguards, especially on light colors...

That looks great...you did a great job!

7. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Looks great and I like the specs.

I have a while Strat parts build similarly with a 12 radius board. A greenish guard would look good too I expect. I hate working on Strat electrics so I tend to stick with the guard I started with and try to get it right first time.
    With Teles I'm changing the guards periodically just because.

With Fenders I like tort on whites and black sometimes on blue.

8. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Looks cool, but if I read one more thing about guitar weight I'm gonna blow my maple top.

9. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK
    Tried a couple of 3rd party mint pickguards but I've found only the official Fender mint pickguards look good (eg not glow in the dark) and its impossible to find an official Fender mint green pickguard in the 8 hole 50s configuration. I think a few models might sport them but they're not on sale as parts here in the UK.

Understand the sentiment but I think you may be in the minority there. Weight does count (and that's coming from someone who's most expensive and possibly favourite guitar is a 9.1 lb Les Paul).

10. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Galileo was in the minority when he proposed the theory of a heliocentric system.

11. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK
    I'll regret responding but....guitar weight (much like paint colour) is a personal preference not a scientific hypothesis. Few would argue that those who favour shoreline gold on their strats represent a minority. That doesn't make them correct or incorrect.

12. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Agree, but when people start talking about ounces, it gets out of the personal preference category.

13. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2014
    UK
    Oh come on, rounding up/ down to the nearest pound surely isn't scientific enough for a pupil of Galileo.

14. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    No, we use the metric system. When someone says their guitar is too heavy because they were shooting for under 8 lbs and its 7.87 I roll my eyes. I am sorry but I am not learning anything from this conversation. Take care.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.