Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Eric Barbour 6bm8/ecl82 reverb driver

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by <jbc>, Mar 11, 2009.

1. <jbc>

<jbc> Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2007
    Switzerland
    I'm looking for schematic examples of ECL type tubes used in a reverb driver circuit. I read that Barbour had a reverb mod were he replaced the 12at7 with a 6bm8 but can't find the schematic on the net.

So if anyone has any schematic examples of this application I would be most obliged.

2. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Germany
  3. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    Doesn't Victoria use a 6BM8 in one of their Gibson-derived amps? I dunno much about it, but I thought I'd throw that out there...

- Scott

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. <jbc>

<jbc> Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2007
    Switzerland
    Wow!

Thanks guys.

I was looking for the Guild Thunder Reverb schematic too!

6. Bothand Nether

Bothand Nether NEW MEMBER!

pioneer sr-101

Hey, stumbled across this the other day, and thought I'd pass it along, seems like an interesting circuit to check out.

Sorry, no schematic as of yet...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-56307.html

(2 12 ax7 and 2 ecl82/6bm8, and one 6x4, I believe.)

don't know if that is useful or not, but I thought I'd post it....

:p

7. jbefumo

jbefumo TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2011
    I'm currently building a lunchbox amp around a pair of 6BM8s -- push pull output and phase inverter in two bottles ...

Near as I can determine, the 6BM8 is pretty much a 5751 triode and an EL82 in a single envelope. Thinking ahead to my next project, I've been thinking about the 6BM8 for reverb drive (pentode) and recovery. I know EL84s have been used to drive the reverb transformer, but are a bit like driving thumbtacks with a sledge hammer. The power pentode side of the 6BM8 might be a bit less overkill. More importantly, it would allow me to implement a decent reverb with just one bottle. (Have used 12DW7s with the 12AU7 section as driver, and it worked okay, but not the kind of reverb I want if I'm going to bother doing it with tubes and springs.

On a different, but related topic, I've done a few builds using Merlin's bootstrapped cathodyne phase inverter, with pleasing results (that's what I'm using in my lunchbox amp). I'm wondering how it would work to use a 8BM8, with the power pentode implementing the phase splitter proper, with the triode driving it?

Both seem like scenarios where there might actually be a valid reason for doing it, rather than 'what if I try THIS goofy $h1t'

8. Wally

Wally Telefied

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Warning: the linked site above is a phishing tool.....or is contaminated with such a tool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.