Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EQ setting differences between pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SixStringSlinger, Nov 6, 2018.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    Space
    How (if at all) do you find yourself tweaking your amp's EQ when changing from a single-coil guitar to one with humbuckers? More mids? Less bass? This assumes everything else being equal. Say you're playing your single-coil guitar and you have the amp set "right"? Then you switch to a humbucker-equipped guitar through the same amp. What EQ changes (if any) do you make to make it sound "right" (even if "right" sounds different each time)?

This was inspired by the "Do you suck at PAF's?" thread. I also recently got my first humbucker-equipped guitar, and I'm still playing with the possibilities, so I'm curious about how you all go about it.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I EQ to the room more than the guitar. If I pick up a different guitar at a show it’s because I want a different sound, generally.

bftfender and Zepfan like this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    Space
    Well I don't mean to get the same sound as with the previous guitar. I'm curious about how different pickups influence how you work your amp's EQ. For instance, I may switch to a humbucker guitar for the thicker tone, but I may also then lower the amp's volume a bit, to compensate for the humbucker's higher output.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I would dial way more bass for a single coil and less for a humbucker. Then I'll have P90s to deal with. It's all a matter of taste. Someone will like it one way, the next one will hate it.

uriah1 likes this.
  5. JMac52

JMac52 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Mesa, AZ
    I keep my amp(s) EQ the same, which is generally “flat”, and embrace the differences in guitars while adjusting volume and tone on them.

bftfender likes this.
  6. JMac52

JMac52 TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Mesa, AZ
    I keep my amp(s) EQ the same, which is generally “flat”, and embrace the differences in guitars while adjusting volume and tone on them.

bftfender likes this.
  7. TangerineDog

TangerineDog TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2016
    The EU
    My amp stays exactly like it is - not only is she a bit short on treble, I've also found that at my current settings, she gives me a nice tone no matter what I plug in, from Gretsch to Strat to Tele to Alnico 2 neck HB.

What I do is trying to find pickups that complement the natural sound of the guitar (And I would never have believed in the own personal characters of guitars if my two Strats didn't produce two completely different tones with the exact same setup and exact same - as in moving the pickguard from on to the other - electronics!), find the sweet spot with those and do the rest with the controls on the guitar itself.

8. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Great point about the room.. think i fell in love with a DSL cause a slight bump in resonance or presence very quickly makes the eq work in dif settings

9. SixStringSlinger

May 21, 2006
    Space
    I tend to think in a similar way. Typically, the further down the signal chain it is, the less I touch it (the guitar's tone is changed in countless, even subconscious ways within a song; pedals get switched on and off, settings changed between songs; amp gets turned on, then off). But getting my first humbucker guitar has me thinking again.

I think it may also be a matter of pickups settings. Typical single-coils are only adjusted height-wise. Humbuckers can be height-adjusted, as can the individual pole pieces. I have to play with those a bit.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I’m lazy. Use to use multiple Guitars and used stomp eq for switching. Now 1. but
    Recently none since I’m not out gigging lol

11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I’m lazy. Use to use multiple Guitars and used stomp eq for switching. Now 1. but
    Recently none since I’m not out gigging lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.