Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Epiphone Les Paul SL - Heritage Cherry Sunburst

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FenderGyrl, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Have you received it yet?

2. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I don't remember seeing any discussion about the neck profile on these. Can anyone comment?

I'd be interested in knowing if these use the same, basic neck that they put on the Les Paul Special I and II. The description of these necks varies by the day with some canned descriptions saying it's a C, some saying it's a slim taper like a D. My LP Special I had a soft V from nut to heel with very little taper.

3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Mine is a fat C. Maybe fat for me, but hefty...

4. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    No... The Cherry Burst never shipped. I haven't called about it either.

I am kind of soured on the Black one that arrived. The neck really went "Wonky" on me !!! :mad:

I regretted not leveling the frets before I put it back together after I got it. Now I am thinking that maybe that was a good thing, because the upper frets on mine buzz like crazy after it sat for a month. My other Epi LP Specials with P90's really put this guitar to shame. I won't even try to play it now. It needs a Fret Level. So, I never pushed Sweetwater for the Cherry Burst one. Also, that placement of the VOLUME KNOB has been a thorn in my side. I hit that damn thing non stop...it has to be moved. Will probably fill the hole with a 'Kill Switch" like Bucket Head.
    I really did the sound of it. But it has been dropped to the bottom of the list for Repair / Set Up work.

I have been enjoying my Firebird Zero. And, I just popped for another Zero...Faded Pelham Blue. I got this one VERY VERY VERY Cheap. :twisted:
    (It was a Trade In... the guy hated it I guess) The story behind it is that the guitar is an unplayable POS. But, I don't see it that way. I ordered a Gold Wilkinson Wrap Around for it...:p Gonna rebuild it with all Gold Hardware.
    ROCKERGYRL.jpg graphics-music-209883.gif

Piggy Stu likes this.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Well that sux about the neck. Might be a good idea to cancel the order on that Cherry Burst and put the cash towards something else.

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0312.JPG
    Installed some $13 tuners from Musiclily (Amazon) and it made all the difference, this lil thing rocks!

zippofan and FenderGyrl like this.

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Sorry if you got a lemon Fendergyrl

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    FenderGyrl likes this.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Went to practice and my captain had .a new American Professional Tele Deluxe (900$ open box deal), sweet axe. We swapped axes and rigs. Short version ? The SL stands up. No question. Took a weekend to set ‘er up, but these hold their own......

FenderGyrl and brbadg like this.

9. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I received my Cherry Sunburst last weekend. It's definitely better than the Tuxedo I got earlier. I put a fret rocker on it and noticed that it would need some work from the 15th fret up, and the 7th fret was raised a little bit. I have too many other projects going on right now, I don't have the time to work on the frets of this one.

I gave it some thought, and decided to put some heavy gauge Ernie Balls on it (Power Slinky's - 11/48), then tuned it to Open D. It's a blast to play! I sold off most of my guitars that were set up for slide last summer. It feels good to be playing slide again. I look at it this way: I could spend close to $100 for a pedal, so why not have a dedicated slide guitar. I still need to put some replacement tuners on it though. These SL's sound wicked when you run them thru a distorted amp / or pedal. Greasy as all get out! :twisted: I am gonna keep the Tuxedo SL tuned it to Open E or Open A. ( It has Power Slinky's on now also)
    SL CHERRYBURST 252 (2).jpg
    TUXEDO SL LP 003.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    zippofan and ZenGuitarist like this.

10. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    FG, I really like the look of that Cherry Sunburst!

It's a happy coincidence that I stumbled upon this thread because I've been wanting one of these guitars but they're almost impossible to find in stock anywhere.

Last night the Cherry Sunburst version was available on MF but I thought I would wait until today before ordering one. Naturally when I checked this morning the Cherry Sunbursts were sold out.

But that turned out to be a good thing because an hour ago I located one in the colour I really wanted (Pacific Blue) and immediately bought it. I should have it by next week.

FenderGyrl and zippofan like this.

11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    My Vintage Sunburst SL showed up last week, but I gotta wait until 12/25 to play it :cry: Looked alright out of the box though.
    That's OK, I've assembled a bit of a mod kit for it...most of which was in my parts box :D

Faber wraparound bridge with locking studs, Gotoh vintage tuners, bone nut, Bourns pots, Switchcraft jack and switch, bunch of different caps I can try, now I'm thinking about pickups. Maybe Rose Mustangs, or go with some DiMarzio rails. I've wanted to try Lace Sensors for a long time now, hmmm...

ZenGuitarist and FenderGyrl like this.

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Yup Strat player here and find the SL controls handy.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I've seen pictures of these some with neck plates, and some with ferrules. Do some colors have plates and some ferrules? Just curious.

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    if i didn't have the cheapo epi lp jr with p90s this would be super tempting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.