Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Epiphone Les Paul SL - Heritage Cherry Sunburst

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FenderGyrl, Aug 19, 2017.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Well it was more like 3 or 4 out - 1 in. :twisted:
    I traded off some projects or the like for some decent guitars that didn't need any work done to them. :D

Zepfan likes this.

2. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    So my SL arrived this morning. I plugged it in...it sounds "Snarly and Snotty" in a good way. (I think Blowtorch came up with that description!)

The neck is fine, frets feel good. Electronics work fine.

The nut is good. Needs to be worked on a little. I picked up some EB Power Slinky's (Light Top / Heavy Bottom), I'll file the Nut accordingly.

The Tailpiece/Bridge is fine: need to set the intonation, it was way off. Action was high.

Original Tuners were garbage. Slipping like crazy. Going into the trash.
    I have some Gotoh Vintage Ivory Tuners that will drop right in. $20 for them if I remember right.

I looked under the pick guard : Cheap Wiring.
    I lowered the Pot Shafts so some Speed Knobs will sit nicely. Put a Treble/Rhythm Coin on the Switch. It looks better with Speed Knobs and the Coin -The Pick Guard doesn't look as empty.

Putting the new keys on it tonight. Will take some pictures...maybe post a sound clip.
    giphy.gif

zippofan and Zepfan like this.

3. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    Do you mind me asking what you were left with? As someone who has GAS addiction, I find myself looking at all sorts of guitars.

That gif is mesmerising! :)

4. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Spent the evening working on the SL Les Paul. I put a shim under the neck, ended up taking it out. The Pick Ups are probably twice as high as your average Strat pick up, but it didn't feel right with the shim. I will say that the fit for the neck pocket is very tight - no slop at all. The tuners went in nicely and made a huge difference. I have been slowly filing the nut. The toggle switch is acting up... very hard to switch. :mad:

The main thing I regret: Not Leveling the Frets. :rolleyes: I have the action set at 2/32nds to the 12th fret both High and Low E Strings. The Power Slinkys really brought this guitar to life. I have it tuned to Open G for now. I will probably Level the Frets on this one as well as the Vintage Burst when it comes in.

So:
    A $99 Dollar Guitar
    Not as good as the P90 Versions they were/are selling? o_O- But it could just be the luck of the draw. IMHO

Body Fit and Finish - VERY Good
    Pick Ups - Unique! Snarly when Distorted - Warm and thick in the Middle Position - Jangly when played Clean. Slightly Microphonic.
    Electronics - Cheap. Will get you thru the Set Up Stages. Not suitable for leaving the Bedroom. IMHO The switch on mine is janky...
    Fret Work - Crowned and set ok. No sprout on mine.
    Bridge / Tail Piece - Good. Enables proper height adjustment. Allows enough distance to intonate. Sits tight.
    Keys - Hit or Miss. I have run across some functional ones. Mine had a very bad set on it. An "All Parts" Up Grade Set made a huge difference.
    Nut: The Nut is hard plastic. Typical Epiphone Creme version. Easy to file. More than enough to work with. Mine came with the strings sitting 1/8th from the fretboard.

The Guitar I got was unplayable out of the box. Plugging it in let me know it had that "Snarly Tone" I heard in the YOUTUBE Promo Video posted in this thread. The slipping keys and the uncut nut made it impossible to tune. I broke mine down as soon as I unplugged it from my amp to hear it. Its definitely a project guitar. Prepare to spend a day or two rebuilding it. I am still anxious to plug it in again and crank it up thru a different amp. :cool: This could/should be a fun Punk/Garage Band/ Johnny Thunders type of Guitar... think of it as a Tone Tool.

ROCKERGYRL.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Piggy Stu likes this.

5. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Oh Geez:
    10 or 12 Acoustics
    Guilds/ Fenders / Cordobas / Ibanez / Oscar Schmidts (Old Ones)
    Mostly Jumbos
    Banjos, Mandolins, Uke / Lap Steels

Strats: 12 to 15 - USA / MIL / MIM
    Telecasters: 6 to 8 (Two CVs - Made in the USA's - MIMs
    Les Pauls : Gibby 76 - 79 - 85 - An Orville - 2 Vintage MIK from the 90's Epiphones / Some Oscar Schmidt's - Nice Ones: Gold Top & Tobacco Burst- A few Vintage MIJ's
    Set Necks: My Vintage Electra Double Cut - Vintage Ibanez Double Cut
    Les Paul Jrs: Gibson 2005 / Vintage Electra / 3 Epiphones w/P90's - TV Yellow Epiphone
    Epiphone: GENESIS MIDI Enabled / Epi Wildcat / Epi 335 Dot / Epiphone Zephyr
    Dean Chicago Series DIME ML's: 3 with Original Floyds / 2 Hardtails / 2 Lightening Models with Original Floyds
    80's Shredder Guitars - Charvel. Washburn. Ibanez . Fender Super Strat . Various Others.
    Gretschs : 3 Different Models
    SG's: Vintage Epi / New Epi 400 Series / A few Bolt On Necks (Epi)
    A few Ibanez Bass Guitars / A Fender 7 String Strat / ...............
    I am sure there are more I am forgetting:
    EDIT = Like the Firebird Zero I am working on

6. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

7. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

8. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Just when I think my GAS is gone - thanks folks...

:D

savofenno, 24 track and FenderGyrl like this.

9. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    Really wanting to try one of these.

24 track and FenderGyrl like this.

10. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    UPDATE:
    She is settling in nicely. ;)

I balanced out the Pick Up Volume of each pickup using the D & G Strings. (While having the Tone backed off to 6 or 7)
    Then lowered the bass side of the Neck Pickup to balance it out when being played alone - Then lowered the treble side of the Bridge Pickup to balance it out when it is played alone. BIG DIFFERENCE !!!! :twisted:
    The nut is coming along. Its hard to settle on string height while the strings are too high in the nut. I put some relief in the neck. I'm gonna lower a few more slots in the nut, probably raise the treble side of the bridge slightly, maybe loosen the truss rod 1/8th of a turn for a bit more relief.

Wish I would have leveled the frets. :mad: Haste makes waste...live and learn I guess. At least I know what to expect when the other one shows up.

I like the look of the Speed Knobs and the Toggle Coin. Sort of filled in all of that open area. I have to mount the Truss Rod Cover. I like that its fatter then the Black one that came with it. The White TRC goes with the goofy over sized pick guard. :rolleyes:

TUXEDO EPI SL ... DILLY DILLY ! :lol::p:D

Zepfan, zippofan and 24 track like this.

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Thanks for all the updates Fendergyrl. A very solid assessment.

richey88 and FenderGyrl like this.

12. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    Couldn't agree more about the speed knobs and toggle coin adding to the look (and giving me some ideas). Thanks FenderGyrl!

24 track and FenderGyrl like this.

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Brilliant idea!

Altogether, that's a surprising amount of guitar for only $99.00!

24 track likes this.

14. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Here I thought I was being a string pig with 24 guitars! ( all lefties)

Nice aquasition FG!

15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Also, would anyone besides me have trouble with the location of the volume knob? It's so close to the bridge & pickup, it seems like with, for example, palm muting, I'd often be knocking into (& turning) the volume knob. (the reason I moved the volume knob on my Squier strat).

FenderGyrl likes this.

16. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    its the same on a strat (roughly)

paratus likes this.

17. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    [QUOTE="SecretSquirrel: Altogether, that's a surprising amount of guitar for only $99.00![/QUOTE]

I will probably keep the Tuxedo set up with the Stock Single Coils. If the Sunburst has better pickups, I'll swap them out to this one and rewire it with two tone pots. I will probably put the GFS Lipsticks (Chrome) into the Sun Burst one. :twisted:

Also, would anyone besides me have trouble with the location of the volume knob? It's so close to the bridge & pickup, it seems like with, for example, palm muting, I'd often be knocking into (& turning) the volume knob.

Good Eye SS: I was hitting the Volume when I first got it ... so much so that I was thinking about putting the Black Strat Knobs back on it. :eek:
    I will probably put Chrome Tele knobs on the Sunburst with the Black Pick Guard.

The Speed Knobs do look cool on this one! :lol: I am getting used to it. The Strat Knobs weren't in the way as much. Playing this one has caused me to float my picking hand - which has created a twist to my muting style.

FG
    graphics-music-209883.gif

24 track likes this.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    With such a large pickguard, you could easily move the volume pot and plug the old hole.

19. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    (BUMP)

I still haven't received my Heritage Cherry Sunburst yet. While at the Music Store yesterday, I saw a TV Yellow version sitting on their repair bench. The Yellow looked pretty cool.

Has anybody else that Pre-Ordered received theirs yet?o_O

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I got the tobacco burst. Needs some futzing but I like the pickups. Sandpapered some sharp fret ends, lemon oil and ordered new kluson-style tuners ($13 on Amazon). Will report back after tuners installed.

FenderGyrl likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.