Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Epiphone Les Paul SL - Heritage Cherry Sunburst

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FenderGyrl, Aug 19, 2017.

1. JORMA

JORMA NEW MEMBER!

Aug 24, 2017
    NYC
    I ordered one... SUNSET YELLOW
    It will look like this IMG-PHOTO-ART--1726406667.jpg

FenderGyrl likes this.

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Sorry to derail the thread even more but I went that way on one of my self made guitars.
    DSC01108.JPG Like the Robbiecaster I placed two strat single coils next to each other, the three way switch works as you'd expect it but I added a series-Parralel switch to the mix.

It makes all the difference, it fattens up the sound tremendously.

jvin248 and FenderGyrl like this.

3. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    Vermont
    I've got one pre-ordered too, and after much deliberation, chose Sun Yellow. I hope that I'll be happy with the gloss finish, I almost changed to a matte finished model, but had to have the Yellow with the white pickguard.

FenderGyrl likes this.

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    If they are as nice as the Special's then they are damn sure worth $100.00.
    I love the P90's, but I'd like to try those single coils.
    I'm gonna pre order the Cherry Sunburst, but like Fendergyrl said, " Why not throw in the Tuxedo as well" or something like that.
    At just a hundred bucks, it hard to too wrong.

FenderGyrl likes this.

5. zhyla

zhyla TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Northern Hemisphere
    I'm hemming and hawing at these. 6 colors but somehow none of them grab me. And I'd want to add a bigsby but the pickguard looks like it may be in the way. I'm sure once I get one in hand I'd figure out something to do with it though.

Haven't found any reviews on these yet. Do we know what to expect from these pickups? If these had p90's I'd be a little more excited.

6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    As far as the Pick Ups... I am just going on what I heard in the Demo Vid I posted.I figure that I can put GFS Lipsticks in one of them. I'll just revel in the Trashy Tone of the other one. (Unless the pickups are too microphonic) I can always dig into my parts box and find something. I have a bunch of Seymours and Dimarzios. The Epi P90 LP Jrs I already have rock, so I figured that I will like these as well. I dig the wrap around bridges. I know for sure they are better than what Gibson has on the FireBird Zero!

7. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    For Sure !!! I love the 3 Specials I have. I even picked up a pair of Epi SG Specials. I play the SG Specials more than my Epi Set Neck SG! (Which IS better for Slide Guitar TBH) Something about the Bolt On Necks and Wrap Around Bridges just works for me. I like to Mod my stuff, and these are going to be great for winter time projects. I LOVE Trashy Guitars that just work for some reason. :twisted:

hellopike and boredguy6060 like this.

8. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    When I was a kid just learning to play, my Mentor told me that "It isn't really yours until you Make It Yours gyrl"
    BTW, I always dig what you do to your axes Blazer! You make them YOURS! ;)

boredguy6060 likes this.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    If I didn't already have a MM I'm sure I'd be getting a new one. As it is, I'll wait til they show up used

FenderGyrl likes this.

10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    The Special I received needed a lot of fretwork, like complete leveling, crowning, polishingand fret end filed.
    Every Gibson I ever owned had a great neck and very low action.
    This guitar has many of the specs from the original, so why not make it play like one?
    A Les Paul nut dropped right in, needed nut slot filing of course , but the nut dimensions are the same.
    Also I put some Kluson 3 on a stick tuners in, they were tight but dropped in.
    Also a new output jack.
    It plays like heaven and sounds amazing.

I enjoy working and tweaking on a guitar until it begins to really sing.
    Epiphone has done about 80% of the work for you, some elbow grease, patience will get you the rest of the way.
    AND IT's ONLY $100.00!

Buy'em by the sack!

FenderGyrl likes this.

11. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

I lucked out, my Specials just needed keys and Bridge Work to set the intonation. One had crappy electronics.

boredguy6060 likes this.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    If the pickups turn out to be good in that guitar, a simple series/parallel switch could help out a bunch. I would be temped to load one with some Lipsticks, Goldfoils or even GFS's Retrotron Liverpool Minibucker.

13. JORMA

JORMA NEW MEMBER!

Aug 24, 2017
    NYC
    I pre-ordered one in SUNSET YELLOW. I ordered A STRAP FOR IT ON E BAY TODAY

Attached Files:

FenderGyrl likes this.

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I certainly dont need another guitar, but I am so in for one of these, already mentioned to Mrs. Z that a Vintage SB will be mine, muha-ha-ha!

FenderGyrl likes this.

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I like your style JORMA, welcome to TDPRI!

Post some pics when you get it.

16. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Sweetwater called me today and said that my Ebony with the White Pick Guard came in. ;)
    They shipped it and it will be here tomorrow. Anyone else get the call?
    ROCKERGYRL.jpg graphics-music-209883.gif

zippofan likes this.

17. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012

I thought that you were offloading guitars recently???

18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I myself am offloading guitars, and sold 3 in the past 2 months totalling 1200£

The purchase of 2 others for 620£ doesn't stop me boasting of how I am a net profit. Sometimes I have no choice on picking a guitar up, like if you are offered a 20£ note for 5£

I don't count the hrd amp I bought when moaning about my sacrifice in offloading....

FenderGyrl likes this.

19. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I did RM!

I sold and traded off probably 75% of what I had. Got rid of a room of stuff that I had acquired over the years: Mostly Projects / Basket Cases / Parts / and Cheap Guitars that I had refurbished but had no need for. I traded off a bunch of duplicates that I had for stuff that I wanted to add to my arsenal. I acquired some nice Gretschs, etc. I even traded off almost all of my Japanese Cheesy Guitars! Picking up these Epi's givesme something to use up some of the parts I still have. Plus, they are good "Bang for the Buck". I still have my Epi LP Specials with the P90's. Love those things!
    Figure these will be comparable, and give me something to add to the Tonal Pallet. :D

I love Light Weight Guitars now a days. And I am digging the Snarly Snotty tones that some of these Trashy Guitars have! Its a great time for guitar players...Epi has really upped their game. So many decent guitars for the money now. Most just need a little extra in the Set Up / Parts department.

raw (2).gif

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got rid of guitars so She could buy more, makes perfect sense to me.:cool:

zippofan and FenderGyrl like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.