Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Epiphone > Gibson, Squier > Fender

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Kayle McGuire, Dec 15, 2017.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'm a guitar snob and a car snob but only as it applies to me. I like what I like. I don't care at all what others are playing. What I do care about is where the money goes. I won't send mine to China if there's any alternative. There are great guitars made in USA, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Canada, UK and elsewhere. There's just no good reason to send my hard earned money to a predatory economy. My 2 cents. My dollars either stay here or go to countries that aren't trying to destroy mine.

3fngrs and Sunnyd_lite like this.
  2. Sunnyd_lite

Sunnyd_lite TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2017
    So Cal
    I tried a few squiers when guitar shopping with my daughter and that experience was enough to tell me I wouldn't reach for one.

From what I see on forums, Epis can be good guitars if you replace the tuners, replace the nut, get the frets levelled and dressed, scrape the fret board, replace the pickups, replace the wiring, replace the switch and Jack, replace the bridge and bushings, replace the tailpiece and un-gloss the neck.
    For all of that hassle I wouldn't reach for one

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  3. revellfa

revellfa TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Lavale, Md.
    As for most mid level gibson acoustics I would say that I would prefer the epiphone version.

I had an advanced jumbo and put it up against my buddy's epiphone version. The aj sounded $100 better, not $2,000 better like it should have.

As for fender and squire I love my classic vibe thinline and chose it over several fender solid bodies--apples and oranges to some degree I know.

I'm strange in that I prefer cheap guitars for the old time hillbilly folk blues Bkuegrass stuff I do these days.

4. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Squires and Epiphones can be excellent bargain today with high quality. If cost is no object however Gibson's and USA Fenders are superior to Squires/Epiphones. All my guitars today are USA manufactured with the exception of a Indonesian G&L ASAT Tribute that has amazing quality for the money.

5. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    If it's nice...and light...I'll pick it up. But lately the Gibson's don't appeal due to their high price and the fact that the current SG standards no longer have the full guard.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Of course, there are a whole list of reasons that I would choose a "sub brand".Every thing from cost, to security issues, and the fact that many of them are simply good guitars that work for me. I enjoy having a few affordable "name" guitars in the mix, and don't mind paying a bit more, but the price and quality need to be roughly equal, and it needs to have the "something" that makes a guitar enjoyable.

Believer likes this.
  7. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I do have a Gibson now thanks to CME and I see what the hype is about, but I have seen a lot of beautiful Epis too.

8. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    If I buy guitars made by say John Cruz, Im getting his consistent quality. If I talk just about Gibson, squier, epiphone, fender, I am losing that consistency because anyone could have made that guitar. The next John Cruz could have done the finishing on the squier you bought... gotta start somewhere, or Gomer Pyle could have done it.

I cant just buy a John Cruz, I have to buy a fender masterbuilt and fender gets an extra $4,000 or so because it says Fender on it. So, I go straight to the small luthier.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The overall playability of inexpensive guitars as gone up considerably. Typically they use less expensive components and rely on less expensive Asian labor.
    There's nothing wrong with them at all. I briefly (4 weeks) owned an Epiphany ES-339 that I thought was quite good. I would still prefer a Gibson.
    I have never played a Squier that I would have chosen over a Fender. Never!
    I did play a Classic Vibe Custom that I would consider purchasing.
    For many it's simply a matter of budget while some may actually prefer a particular Squier or Epiphone.

LowThudd likes this.
  10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I own some of each. They all make good and bad ones. The real Gibson's and Fenders I own are more or less of vintage variety at this point so while I enjoy them and play them at home, they rarely make it to a gig. Jam session that are low-key or private, yeah I'll take a vintage guitar, but the average gig, I take my new ones, which happen to be Epi's and Squier (though modded).

There are dogs by all brands, but that dog bite seems worse when it's a Gibson or Fender dog cause the price with that is much higher.

LowThudd likes this.
  11. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Western New York
    I was going to get either an Epiphone or Ibanez ES style guitar until I found an open box Gibson 339 through CME for a killer price with the 15% off coupon on Reverb. When you factor in the cost of adding a case with the Epi or Ibanez it wasn;t that much more for the Gibson.

Epi's are great though and have had one of their Masterbilt Acoustics for a while now and it blew away every Breedlove/Taylor/Takamine/Martin/Gibson that were two or three times the price. All solid wood, bone nut and saddle, nice vintage style headstock design and inlays on the fretboard and is just a joy to play and sounds amazing.

12. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Preach on brother! I had an Epiphone Les Paul and it was ok but I just couldn't get over that "Made in China" on the headstock.

It was a black studio model and I tried it out side by side with a Gibson studio model. The Gibson was noticeably better but almost a $1,000 more. If I had bought the Gibson I'd still own it.

I currently have two American Fenders and I'm going to get another Gibson Les Paul and a J-45.

I work in America for an American company and I want other Americans to have good jobs too.

Don't get me wrong, if you don't have much money and need a guitar you get what you can. I've been there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.