Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Epiphone > Gibson, Squier > Fender

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Kayle McGuire, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Would anybody reach for a Squier before a Fender? Or choose an Epiphone over a Gibson?

2. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    I choose Epi over Gibson because I can actually afford 'em. I've found Epiphone quality to be very consistent, and, frankly, the price of entry means o don't have to baby them.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Only because of cost.
    Thin69 likes this.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    I have an Epi LP Deluxe with mini-hums that is amazing. Can't afford the Gibson, paid $1500 less for my Epi. So yes, I reach for that.

I also have a first year Squier CV Thinline that I grab because it's a great guitar. Yeah, I can tell the difference, wood-feel, solidity, sure, but through an amp--no one else can. So yes, I grab that one too.
    soulman969 likes this.

5. warrent

warrent Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    Well no not really. I like some of the imported guitars especially the classic vibes. But there is a much wider variety of choice in the main lines of Fender and Gibson that its easier to find a instrument that suits my style.

6. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    All of my guitars (save a 45 year-old Framus and a Pignose travel guitar) are either Gibson or Fender. So I guess, no.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    If you're talking about choosing one particular guitar over another, all bets are off; there are dogs and jewels from any company, and I do believe that primo squiers/epis could overcome poor fenders/gibbys.

If you're talking about two guitars hiding behind curtains and all we get to know about them is the name on the headstock, yeah, I'm going gibby/fender.

8. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    When I went looking for a rosewood board Tele, my local Fender dealer had two, a Squier Classic Vibe Custom, and an American Special. The American Special stayed in the store and the Squier came home with me. Yes, the American one was better quality, but the Squier played just as well, sounded better to me ('cause the pickups sounded more vintage than the Texas Specials in the American one), and cost half as much.
    But, it all depends on which Squier vs. which Fender, and which Epi vs. which Gibby.
    soulman969 likes this.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Cost would be the only thing making the answer to your question "yes" for a lot of people. If cost were no object, of course we'd pick Gibson and Fender over the other two.
    nojazzhere, Picton and DougM like this.

10. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I’ve played quite a number of Epiphones that I quite liked, I’ve played 3 Gibsons that I liked enough to notice. I’ve never played a squier that I liked more than the novelty of “that’s better than I expected” and have very rarely played a fender that I didn’t think was great, or at least very likable.

In short: I would almost always grab an Epiphone over a Gibson, and almost never grab a squier over a fender.
    Obsessed likes this.

11. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't own a fender or a gibson...or an epi for that matter.
    Jules78 likes this.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    +1 I feel exactly the same way. It is not a clear line at times though, because both Squier and Epi have quite a price range/quality line in their own right, so that needs to be kept in mind here. I think Epi stands out from Squier in many ways, but most importantly there is not a good middle ground for Gibson, whereas, Fender has the MIM line that are for the most part outstanding. So, it is pretty easy to bypass the Squier line and go Fender MIM, but jumping from Epi to Gibson is a huge jump that is difficult to justify in ways more than just financial.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Same here. Depending on the model the best Epis are 80%-90% the same as their Gibson counterpart for a fraction of the cost. No reason not to play them unless someone needs the headstock to say Gibson.

The Squier CV Series is very much up to par with it's Fender counterparts as well and also quite easy to upgrade to an MIA level for far less money than a new MIA would run. I own two Tele and two Basses I've done just that with and few would even know they were Squiers when they stared out except for the logo.

It's not like we're talking the difference between 24k gold and junk gold here.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    The tribute line of Gibsons, I would say, are somewhat akin to the MIM fenders in relation to the USA counterparts. (Ironically, 2 of the 3 gibsons I remember actually enjoying were tributes. The 60’s tribute with P90s and the futura tribute P90/HB. The other was a custom shop es330 with natural finish)
    Obsessed likes this.

15. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    It depends....I'm loaded up with Squiers (VM Jazzmaster, VM Jaguar, VM 72 Thinline, CV 60's Strat, HSS affinity Strat) because their price point allows me to experiment and try different models. At the moment, I have no Fender gear., but I might upgrade to Americans (Jazzmaster and Jag) at some point because the build quality is significantly better, but don't feel compelled to any time soon. In general I feel that Squier has done a particularly good job with their VM and CV series, though their sudden price hike a few years back took a little bit of the shine off. Still great bang for the buck.

I have a few Epiphones (LP Special I- yellow P90, Wildkat, EJ200SCE, and the Electar Amp) that I am happy with. The Wildkat in particular is a great guitar and fun to play, and Gibson has no equivalent. I had an Epi LP plus-top a while back, which I think was a good guitar, but didn't seem as nice as some of my friends' Gibson LPs in terms of general feel and playability (although to be fair they invested a great deal of time and money getting their LPs "just right"). I just picked up a used Michael Kelly Patriot Custom Quilted LP that I think is more comparable to the Gibsons I had played, but it had also been professionally set up.

With Gibson brands, the difference and price between the Epi and Gibson definitely has me leaning toward the cheaper, but still pretty dang good Epiphones. I was able to pick up a Gibson 2015 SG Standard on the cheap, and love the feel and sound of it, but would never have paid full retail for it over an Epi SG 400 pro, which is also a pretty nice guitar for a fraction of the price. The 57 classic pickups on the Gibson SG were just too good to pass up.
    Tootle likes this.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    Here are two reasons, not mine but I do have one like the first one:

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Price. If you've only got $200 you might as well forget Gibson and Fender. Squier and Epiphone both make great starter guitars for noobs or fixer uppers for the crafty.
    nojazzhere and revellfa like this.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I have an Epiphone SG G400 that gets way more play time than the Gibson SG.

I have non-Fender entry-level Strats that get played more than Squier but about the same as Fender. Reason is most of the budget Squiers go way too thin on the neck carves while the non-Fenders actually get the necks right. Maybe Squier should offer both the thin and the fat necks in those starter guitars (the upper VM/etc do but at those prices I hop over to MIM).

Not included in the survey question but I play PRS SEs more often than the vintage PRS I have.

mimmo likes this.

19. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts

I’d be more inclined toward an Epi than a Squier, though. If I liked Gibbo designs and scale lengths, I’d be all over an Epi. But a used Fender (MIM) is very little more than an upper-end Squier, so I’d go with the Fender.

20. RM8485

RM8485 TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2010
    I have an Epiphone Elitist Sheraton. I wouldn't say its necessarily better than the Gibson 335 I used to own, but it is quite a nice instrument, and good luck finding a Gibson semi with mini humbuckers.
    Jimmy Owen likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.