Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Epiphone es-339

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by orangeblossom, Sep 1, 2017.

1. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Traded my Squier cv strat for a Epiphone es-339. Had two strats but no hollow body. They are pretty much the same value. The epi is rich and full sounding.

Attached Files:

2. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Congrats! Love my Epi 339, great for blues!

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Congrats. A good way to extend your tonal palette. Enjoy.

orangeblossom likes this.

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I have the Gibson 339,I really love the guitar size and powerful tone. I found that lowering the pups got me more vintage 335 tones

5. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

ruby 003.JPG

love my little 339...

6stringcowboy and orangeblossom like this.

6. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2014
    AZ
    Nice!

I keep looking at 339's with P-90's. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Happy NGD!

6stringcowboy and orangeblossom like this.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    The 339 body size is my favorite over the 335. You lose just a little low end with the smaller size but gain better balance and comfort in the trade. A wise choice.

8. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Lads, does it stay in tune properly?

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    No problem with tuning on my Epi ES339.

orangeblossom and Raeb like this.

10. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    The Epi 339 guitar got me close to an impulse buy. Smart size and a really good sound, in the 335 territory. I was not fan of the neck shape, a little too wide and "square" to my hands but not a deal breaker.
    I managed to stay lucid as I've already have 5 electrics + 1 at build stage at moment... but sure if money and room was not an issue, I would have one at home.

11. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Uk
    I have the epi 339 and it a fantastic bit of kit for the price.
    Great build quality and a great sound.

12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    I have that same guitar, I took off the pickguard (it actually fits in the storage compartment inside the guitar case) so I could manhandle the upper frets without it getting in the way. Think I like the look better without the pickguard.

Love the tone and playability. Its a keeper...

13. matrix

matrix TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    Great choice. I was in a guitar store yesterday and played 5 or 6 $1000 or more guitars. Then grabbed one of these bad boys for the first time out of curiosity and was blown away. It was by far the most musical of the guitars that I played that day...lots of great useable tones, and a nice responsive, "singing" quality to the pickups.

The fit and finish was serviceable, maybe not to the standard of the more expensive guitars, but good enough.

If I had to take home one guitar that day to make music, it would have been the 339, no doubt. Even at double the price. What a great deal they are.

14. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2011
    Swamps of Louisiana
    My Epi 339 (with HBs) came in from Sweetwater around the 2nd of Sept.. I got the natural model and removed the pickguard almost immediately. She is quite a looker! It arrived nicely packed and dang close to "in tune". Very nice sounding with a wide array of tones with the push-pull pots for single coil operation. I paid extra for setup with low action and intonation along with their "free" 55 point checkout.
    This was my first online order and I'm very happy. I was sweating buckshot!
    The fit and finish is great. I could rant about someone at the factory getting a hair out of line in 2 tiny places with the "f" holes but I won't. It is a very pretty axe and I waxed the back of neck and it is nice and smooth. Total cost was $495 and change.
    And they changed strings and threw in another set.
    No complaints. And........it's the first China made guitar I've ever bought. I'm eatin' previous words on this one! :)

p.s. need to order the case. No case (of course).

15. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Love my 339. Cheap chrome, but who cares? Just the right size, fair weight balance, rather unique tones. Play happy.

16. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I’ve had the chance to set up and review one of these 339s from a friend whose guitar has the tobacco burst finish.

Felt nice in hand, and after a bit of tweaking of the pickup heights and pole pieces, I was convinced if I ever felt the urge to get one of these guitars, it would be a done deal in a minute.

Only thing holding me back? Gotta get rid of some guitars first!

17. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2007
    Nor California
    "Lads, does it stay in tune properly?"

Mine is NOT staying in tune lately and I don't know why. I have already changed to a tusque self lubricating nut. The only thing that has changed lately is that I recently adjusted the neck pickup height and tweaked the pole pieces a bit (which should have no bearing on tuning) and now all of a sudden it won't hold tune. Otherwise, it's a nice guitar and will be a GREAT guitar if I can get the tuning stable.

18. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    It's possible the magnet in your neck pickup might be pulling on your strings , I had an issue not to long that I was getting tremolo effect when I raised my neck pickup , I lowered the pickup and the issue was gone.

19. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic

20. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2007
    Nor California
    Thanks for that suggestion. I had actually lowered my neck pickup trying to make my tone a little less dark but I DID raise the pole pieces, staggering them as suggested in a YouTube video on height adjustments. The tuning seems to go out on the B and G strings, so maybe I'll adjust at least those two poles back to where they were and see if it helps.

xafinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.