Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Epiphone 339 intonation woes

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TelZilla, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I have also had success fixing intonation problems on a guitar by switching string gauges. No problems with my 339, but my tele seems to like 10's and 11's and won't intonate as well with 9's. 3-saddle, 6-saddle didn't seem to make a difference, and I almost gave up until trying new strings!

I would definitely try a slightly different gauge if I were you.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Have you set the nut height? No. 1 cause of intonation problems playing up the neck is you are pulling the string sharp. You set intonation at fret 12 and it plays sharp. So you retune and retune. Fret your guitar 3rd fret. Clearance at the first fret should be a cigarette paper thickness. More than that - no way will it play 'in'

It can be hard setting intonation on guitars with wider frets and humbuckers. Some it works best by using bridge pickup. If your pickups are too high magnetic pull on the strings is a killer.

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    Wilkinson makes a nice roller bridge that has LOTS of saddle travel, and additional travel by actually moving the bridge. A bit of a pain to set up... kind of like setting intonation on a Floyd rose, but they work good and are comfy as a palm rest to boot. Drop-in replacement for your 339, and not expensive.
    [​IMG]

4. hoser

hoser TDPRI Member

Sep 2, 2014
    New Jersey
    I have the same guitar, and though I don't have the same problem I could see how it could happen. My 339 was a mess and took tons of time and effort to get it playable. That being said I HIGHLY recommend you change out the nut, I would put money in it that is where your problem is.
    If you are looking for another bridge try a roller bridge, I was having the same problem you are having on a 335 and that was the ticket.
    Third I would stop running your stings over the tail piece, that is drastically changing the break.
    On my 339 I needed new tuners, new nut, fret work and endless fussing with the neck.
    So my 2 cents is change the nut and adjust the neck!

5. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I've already changed the nut and tuners. I actually like the guitar, other than the neck. Don;t know why these flat necks are popular. Give me a '58 baseball bat any day.

For anyone who wonders, I was able to get the tiny little nut off and turn the saddle around. Problem solved.

6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Just a general question- would the height of the stopbar (which I believe affects the string tension) affect the intonation?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.