Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Epiphone 339 intonation woes

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TelZilla, Sep 23, 2017.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I have an Epi ES 339 I got maybe 4 years ago, and the intonation has never been quite right on the G string.

The original bridge is 11.4 mm by my electronic caliper. As you can see with the pic below, I had the G saddle all the way back and flipped it around, and the 12 fret was still a tiny bit sharp.
    IMG_0544.JPG

So I got a new, wider bridge (14.2mm by my measure). Problem solved, right? Well, you can't turn these saddles around, so I'm still in the same spot- G stringsaddle all the way back, 12 fret still a tiny bit sharp. See below:
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Also, and I ddin't notice this before, but it looks like the bridge is not parallel with the stoppiece. Maybe an optical illusion, but it looks like the string length is slightly shorter on the treble side:
    IMG_0549.JPG

I used the posts that came with the new bridge, and it doesn't seem loose on the posts or anything. Weird.

Any thoughts? It's really close, and once the drummer hits the crash cymbal it probably doesnt matter much, but I know, and it drives me a bit crazy.

Thoughts? The action's low, so I could raise it (thinking that might extend the scale length a bit?). Anything else to try?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    A few things. The bridge is suppose to be at an angle compared to the stop piece. That is normal looking to me. Since you have low action, you might want to consider going away from the wrap around stop piece and back to the string through for more break angle at the saddles. I would start there. Just a note, the saddle positions on your new bridge looks about right, whereas your original bridge saddles don't look like they are in the right positions. Personally, I'd go back the original bridge and then the string through stop piece to get it back to stock and see what happens. Good luck.

3. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Going back to stock wont help. Ive had it strung std and topwrap and never been able to get the saddle far enough back.

Do you expect stringing std(as opposed to topwrap) to affect the intonation? Larger break angle helps, maybe?

I think one of thise Wilknson rollers might work, but theyre pretty heinous.

4. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Dang, I feel the frustration. The odd thing is how your original saddles are laid out, but seems like you have done all of the right things. Other people on here know more than I do and I'm sure this is not the first time, so hopefully you will get some great words of wisdom here. How low is your action? Could you raise the treble side of your bridge a bit just to get a tad more length for that saddle?

5. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I was thinking about the action too. Its low for me. Just couldnt tell if that would make much diff. Worth a try.

Obsessed likes this.

6. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, if anything, I'll just bump the thread to keep it on top for the right person to help.

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Switch to a WOUND 3rd / G-string and the problem will solve itself.

8. JimInMO

JimInMO Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2008
    Group W Bench
    I had a similar situation with an Epi Les Paul. Replaced the stock bridge with one that that looks like yours. I was able to turn the G saddle around and had good intonation. As I recall it was kind of tricky with that little nut on the adjustment screw. Can't check for sure as the LP has moved on.

9. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I had similar trouble with the low e on my revstar, I went with a heavier gauge string, problem solved. Maybe try a different gauge string to see if that helps.

SolidSteak likes this.

10. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, try this out. It really might work. I've done this on all my guitars, as I can't stand the sound or lack of reliability of a plain 3rd.

MickM likes this.

11. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Ill check.

12. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    could be the nut

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

A lighter string will push the intonation point toward the nut. If you have 10s or 11s on here and it shipped with 9s that could be the problem. If the other strings are fine and you like heavier setups, just lighten the G string one size and try that.

I had one strat-like-object that 10s caused the low-E to run out of intonation room so I switched back to 9s.

14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Also, check to see if ANY of the good Japanese imitation-Gibson TOM bride units, with their longer intonation saddle adjustments, can/will fit onto the stud-post spacings (Ibanez comes to mind).

15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I had similar experiences with G string on my Epiphone Dot. Different string guages, string height, etc.. all had an affect on the intonation. Switched out the bridge too. I had to play around with the action until i got as close as i could.

16. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Seems to me you need to start over again with old Bridge
    If your changing string gauge it just needs a set up adjusting your neck. As far as your intornation, no one ever puts it back exactly, the screws have.015 play so you can move it a bit which is what it sounds like. On a side note I don't top wrap any of my guitars. Good luck.

17. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    You could try a set of graphite saddles....I use them on my hollow body and Les Paul....you can sand a little off of them pretty easy.

18. Rowdyman

Rowdyman TDPRI Member

May 17, 2013
    Eastern Canada
    Hi,

I had the same issue with my 339.
    I also bought a replacement bridge. It may be the same as what you bought.
    I think I got it from Stew-Mac, and it was called a "Nashville Bridge"
    Same thing, it was 'wider' than the original but there was still not enough compensation on
    the G and E , (6th), strings,, and you can't 'flip around the saddles' ..

I just turned around the whole bridge. (the Nashville). It doesn't really 'look right' but
    it works now..

Good luck!!

sjruvolo and viccortes285 like this.

19. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

How is the intonation elsewhere? For example the 3rd fret A string C or others picked at random?

viccortes285 likes this.

20. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I was going to suggest turning the bridge around, but I see you got there already. I'm intrigued by this, though. What bridge is it? Why can't the saddles be turned around?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.