Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

--- EPIC Thread --- Best Multi-Channel Classic Rock Amp? Top Selections Inside! --- POLL ---

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Encapsulation, Nov 23, 2016.

What is the best multi-channel classic rock amp?

1. Fargen Dual British Classic II

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Redplate Magica

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Bogner Shiva

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Bogner XTC

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Bogner Goldfinger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Landry LS100G3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 3rd Power Dream Weaver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. PWE Event Horizon 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    The 5F6A and therefore the JTM45, JTM50 and Plexi start to overdrive the power tubes with 25% of the volume pot sweep, well before the preamp so don't assume early breakup is preamp distortion.

bparnell57 likes this.

2. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2010
    brisbane
    Since you like the 59 Bassman clone, start looking for a 2nd hand Fender Prosonic. Basically a very (3 rectifier settings) versatile 59 Bassman with an unlimited overdrive channel.

bparnell57 likes this.

3. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    why isnt there a single marshall in this poll? flawed...

4. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    bogner pre into fryette VHT

Sickest tones Id heard in a long while.

I've been listening to a lot of flubby, saggy slide guitar amps and this was a wonderful reminder of why i love metal

bparnell57 likes this.

5. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    You really need to get out and play through some Mesa Boogies, Mark series, Nomad series, TSA all do what you need in a variety of output/speaker options.

6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    The amps I use have already been mentioned; the Egnater Tweaker 40 and the Mesa TA-15. Each have two channels. I use the Egnater for Fender and 60s era Marshall sounds, although it will also do Vox and more modern Marshall sounds. I use the Mesa for Vox and more modern Marshall tones.

Mesa makes several amps that I think would do it for you. Which one is right for you would be trial and error. I think the Mesa Roadster might be perfect for you; it has 4 channels you can switch between.

Good luck.

bparnell57 likes this.

7. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia

8. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia
    Nah the preamp distortion in my Marshall sounds better than any pedal.

9. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I highly recommend checking out a VHT/Fryette 50CL or 100CL! Simply put they're amazing! Everything from clean to mean!

10. Encapsulation

Encapsulation TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    USA
    I bought and returned the Bogner XTC 101b, sounded great but too large and heavy.

I tried the mesa mark V 25 and 35, too high gain oriented for me(played them for 4 hours)

Bogner Atma is arriving tuesday and I'm hopeful it won't sound too small or lack lows.

If it does, I'm considering a redplate magica.

I also have my eye on the Avatar 18w head, or building a clone of the 18w marshall.

I'm worried that won't be versatile enough, though.

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

11. Encapsulation

Encapsulation TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    USA
    Tried the Atma.

Great cleans but lacking low end and fizzy//harsh OD. It may have been the cab I tried.

I purchased and returned XTC a second time, too heavy....amazing sounds though.

I'm considering trying a Redplate Magica next.

Does anyone have experience with one of these? Are they a portable tone machine?

Thanks again.

12. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Declaring your thread as Epic is kinda like talking about yourself in the third person.

That said, I'm on my way to grab one of my amps that's been modded by a friend. I build the basic amp, he tweaks the pre's. He's added an EF86 that can be swapped in and out of the signal with the basic triodes in the pre. It's 5e3 inspired, 12ax7 pre, cathodyne PI (with merlin's suggested values for awesomeness), cathode biased 6V6 amp with a pre-PI MV and VVR, baxandall tonestack.

I'm hoping it can do just about anything.

robrob and MilwMark like this.

13. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Missed the Fryette Memphis. ;)

14. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    Just to point out, you said initially that weight/portability is secondary to sound, but then later discounted the Bogner due to weight? Did your feelings change on the subject? Cause it sounded like you l Iiked it's sound pretty well.

At the end of the day, I kinda think you're looking for something that might not exist. One amp that will faithfully reproduce a huge range of sounds that were originally made by ... a huge range of amps ... many with different designs and modifications and often with pedals ... and you don't want pedals? ("One amp to rule them all", to paraphrase.) Just seems unrealistic. Possibly fantasy. Case in point, just read the appendix of Joe Perry's recent autobiography and Google his rig rundown from Premier Guitar. He goes through his back line of amps and effects in some detail at many stages of his career. It varied hugely.

Now, searching for that "perfect" sound you hear in your head, sounds great no matter which artist you're covering, and still sounds like "you" at the end of the day? That's a different question, I think. Really, I'm just saying to take a step back, re-examine your goal.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Encapsulation likes this.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Those amps are above my paygrade. In fact, I've only heard of Fargen and Bogner.

I had a Marshall JCM900 for a long time that I loved the tones on. Great metal thunder. Mesa's always been my dream amp. I've got a Blackstar right now that I'm very happy with, pretty much a smaller version of my JCM900 with tighter distortion.

16. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Fender Prosonic. Done deal. Can mimic almost any fender amp ever made, on the clean channel, which does get dirty too, and can then go over the top with any sort of Marshall, Vox, or fender (boogie) tone imagineable. You may need a drive pedal to get straight up insane high gain metal, but that's about it.

Encapsulation likes this.

17. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Oh, Joe Perry used one in the 90's BTW. The only 100 watt Prosonic ever made.

18. Spankyboy0710

Spankyboy0710 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I recommend the Magica or the Shiva for what you're looking for, but I would not rule out pedals. I was against them for so long.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017

19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Fender cleans, and nice overdrive from the amp.

Have you tried the Fender Super-Sonic 22? This - in theory - sounds like what you are looking for.

20. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Yup - played one the other week - was very impressed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.