Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

--- EPIC Thread --- Best Multi-Channel Classic Rock Amp? Top Selections Inside! --- POLL ---

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Encapsulation, Nov 23, 2016.

What is the best multi-channel classic rock amp?

1. Fargen Dual British Classic II

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Redplate Magica

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Bogner Shiva

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Bogner XTC

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Bogner Goldfinger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Landry LS100G3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 3rd Power Dream Weaver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. PWE Event Horizon 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Encapsulation

Encapsulation TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    USA
    I play a les paul with 57 classics, and a strat with SSH. I currently play through a 59 fender bassman clone I built. The clean tones are fantastic, but the dirt just isn't there at reasonable volumes, and the cranked tones aren't quite what I'm looking for. I get my OD from pedals right now, and I'd like to get rid of them and get all my sound from the amp.

I play:

acdc
    clapton
    pink floyd
    zeppelin
    aerosmith
    eagles
    frampton
    zz top
    early metallica
    bb king
    boston
    guess who
    guns n roses
    tom petty
    rush
    queen
    hendrix
    srv
    etc...

I'm looking for a versatile channel switcher to cover classic rock tones 70s to 80s. Sparkling blackface cleans, dirty edge of breakup tweed cleans, warm marshall middy cleans, bluesy clean breakup, plexi tones, marshall bark, jcm800 tones, soaring floydian leads, zz top riffing, early clapton sg into cranked amp tones.

I can't stress enough - I don't want to use ANY gain pedals, I'd like everything to come from the amp. I have a couple of modulation pedals I would use in the FX loop, and a wah + volume. I need to be able to go from clean tones to gain just by changing channels. A built in boost for solos would be nice too.

I'm also certain I want a head and not a combo, for future versatility and portability. The cab size would be one or two 12s. I don't want something that sounds smaller or boxier than my bassman, which has a rich, full, 3 dimensional sound.

Thank you so much for any advice! This decision has paralyzed me for over 4 months now. I have watched hundreds of videos, read dozens of forum threads, and talked to multiple builders to get to the point I'm at now in my decision. (I can't try any of these amps locally, I have looked into this) Portability is nice, but I won't sacrifice tone for it. So if a larger and/or heavier head sounds better, that would be my choice. I'm looking for the ultimate no sacrifice tone. The sound I hear in my head. The sound that inspires me.

The results of my painstaking research so far:

Fargen DBC 2
    Redplate Magica
    Bogner Shiva / XTC / Goldfinger
    Landry LS100G3
    3rd Power Dream Weaver
    PWE Event Horizon 3

Please let me know which amp would be the best fit for my requirements(or if I missed one)! I'm starting to feel like I'll never come to a decision and I'd like to get back to focusing on playing music!

p.s. No modelers, no digital, no solid state, no pedals. I'm looking to get as close as I can to what I seek, please avoid commenting that this is impossible. The cleans just need to be decent, not exactly like anything else. The drive section of the amp is MUCH more important than the clean side. This is for live use and I need the two sounds available instantly. Multi-amp is not an option. Master volume is a requirement.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

2. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TDPRI :)

3. Billy1959

Billy1959 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2016
    Chicago
    I would think an inexpensive Peavey Classic 30 or 50 would get you there just fine. They even have a boost switch.

I don't understand, however, the difference between running an overdrive pedal into a separate clean channel and using an amp's built-in pedal for the dirty channel. Either way you're still using a pedal.

ecosse and TimothyC like this.

4. Encapsulation

Encapsulation TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    USA
    Tube overdrive

jimash likes this.

5. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    Marshall - Multichannel with guitar volume/tone

And I dislike marshalls but seems to be what you need

I have a 65amps Ventura that I love - recommend you take a look

6. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    Welcome....

My vote would be none on the poll list. Think about what was used in making classic R&R........most was created with pretty basic amp circuits.

I'd stick with your Bassman clone (assuming its tone is true BM) and concentrate on a few really good pedals to shape tone to your needs. Good luck!

jimash, MilwMark and TimothyC like this.

7. Billy1959

Billy1959 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2016
    Chicago
    True, but it's pre-amp tube distortion. A good OD pedal usually sounds better I think. How about you?

8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    this is pretty much what i was thinking

MilwMark likes this.

9. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Meister

Feb 29, 2016
    EU
    I would get paralysed too if I was looking for a tube amp that can cover about every guitar sound in the history of rock music.

ifallalot, RoyBGood and MilwMark like this.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Mesa Boogie Mark III, IV or one of the three versions of the Mark V.

I'd not discount an easy to find Marshall JVM 410 for that list of sounds. Marshall cleans can be stellar and the classic tones are certainly in there.

Steve 78 and jimash like this.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Welcome aboard.

Well, I've not heard of most of those amps. So maybe I shouldn't comment. And I certainly won't vote.

Personally, as others noted, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Pedals are widely used for a reason and are the best way to get a variety of really good dirt sounds and styles, in my book. "Tube overdrive" is most likely output transformer overdrive, phase inverter overdrive, speaker breakup and preamp overdrive anyway (at least IMO).

Maybe the scope of what you are trying to accomplish, the preconceptions brought to bear, and the shear cost and unavailability are part of the paralysis though?

What volume level? Home? Gig? What size/venue type?

You know what they say about Jack-of-all-trades, master of . . .

Some versatile players (which I believe are all two channel amps, which should help):

- Rivera era Fenders. Either a Champ or a Princeton (actually a Deluxe Reverb). Sparkly cleans and tons of gain.
    - Mesa Mark V:25. Very versatile.
    - Egnator Tweaker 15 or 40. Very convincing Fender, Marshall and Vox with a good master volume and can cover many "eras" of each with the various switches
    - Orange Dual Terror. Surprisingly good cleans and just killer drive. Simple in a great way.

You might notice they're all under a grand used (some substantially used). And, other than the Rivera amps (which do show up used regularly if you keep your eye out) you can TRY THEM ALL OUT YOURSELF at most any decent sized music store. Videos and builders will be able to tell you NOTHING about whether the amp will work for you, under your hand and with your gear.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I bet you'll like it here.

And as I think about it, maybe run to GC and plug into a Tweaker head and tool around. It has maybe the most chance of being as versatile as you want and allowing you to primarily use amp drive?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    jimash likes this.

12. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Look, I get it, but it isn't reasonable. 4 of your top 5 all definitely use pedals. Some of them Fuzz pedals at that. Some use compressors, or boosters.
    Even Jimi Hendrix used the Fuzz pedal... uhlot.
    Those amps you mention are very nice I'm sure and if you can afford it they'll sound great. Even so, won't be a HiWatt with a fuzz face.

13. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Klonz amp, now being sold by Joyo.

Good luck finding one...

Lupo likes this.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    The very best?

Mine and you can't have it. :p

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Welcome!
    That's it, I'm officially out of touch.
    I don't know a thing about any of the candidates.
    Uh, good luck!

Commodore 64, jimash and MilwMark like this.

16. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

Sep 6, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Marshall Vintage Modern. Or any other Marshall that has clean and plexi modes. Or for a lot of the music in your list... a 5E3, and the channel switch is your guitar's volume knob.

17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Rivera Suprema to good to make the list with a Marshall channel a Fender blackface channel , tube driven fx loop with input and output knobs ,and two stages of boost for each?

18. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 27, 2010
    Seattle WA
    Since you have an unlimited budget, look at a Soldano Lucky 13.

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Not me. A good tuned preamp distortion sounds better than any pedal I've used, and I've got 'boutique' pedals with switches for diode swapping, and everything. Personally I think there's a lot of misconceptions about 'preamp' and 'power amp' overdrive and it leads people to believe that preamp distortion is somehow inferior to 'power amp' distortion (a lot of what they're hearing is the phase inverter, a preamp tube, clipping, anyway. Unless the power tubes are biased for really early clipping, it's rather hard to get a lot of overdrive/clipping from power tubes, and when you do, the preamp is usually already clipping alot, too.)

The Redplate Magica, along with ODS type amps have great preamp overdrive, IMO. The ODS are extremely versatile and featured on a lot of famous recordings. A Fuchs TDS which is loosely based off the original ODS amps, would be my choice, as it has 3 channels, a mid boost, and preamp boost. Both boosts function on all channels and can be used simultaneously, so you've got a lot of gain options right at your feet.

goonie likes this.

20. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Mesa TA 15 will do all that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.