Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EPI Valve Jr and EPI Valve Jr Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-Dave, May 10, 2009.

1. Tele-Dave

Tele-Dave Tele-Meister

Anyone have schematics for the VJr and VJrHrd. Getting interested in this amp and would like to see its layout before considering purchase. Would like to see differences between the two designs.

Prefer PDF if you have them.

Any internal pics or gut-shots would be appreciated.

2. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2008
    SC
    I'm bumping this thread to see if you guys can help me find the schematic for the Epi VJ Hot Rod head. I just got one today and it definately needs some TLC mods, The reverb sounds like dookie and the amp over-all sound is thin. I'm going to place a JJ EL-84 in it and a GT 12AX7 I have but I was wondering if a 12AT7 would be better for the reverb driver. I would think that a larger tank may help the verb too. There's no lushness to it.
    Any help would be great guys...thanks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010

3. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2008
    SC
    Anyone?...anyone?

4. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana

5. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2008
    SC
    Thanks, I am a member there and searched alot but no schematic or modding tips. Anyone else have info?

6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England

7. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2008
    SC
    My quest is for the new Valve Jr HOT ROD reverb head. I've already looked on most forums for days. I'm aware that there is tons(including the infamous bowels thread) on the original VJ.

8. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Appreciate that and the best place for information on it would be the Epiphone forum or the various SEWatt forums.

I'm interested too because I have an EVJh but all I can find out about the Valve Junior Hot Rod Reverb is that it was introduced in 2009, has 2x12AX7, 1xEL84, a spring reverb, has gain volume and reverb controls, can be used as a pre-amp or reverb tank and goes for around £149.

Is the reverb valve or solid-state driven?
    - the olde EVJh (1x12AX7 1xEL84) does have additional PSU wiring available to supply solid-state components. It is common and easy to mod the EVJ with gain, volume and tone controls. The term "Hot Rod" normally means extra gain stage added.

But it is not listed on the Epiphone web site. Why?

9. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    That's weird ? That is where I got all my information a few years ago to mod my Valve JR Head.

10. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2008
    SC
    Yes, there's tons on the VJ head. I modded one myself back when but there's nothing really on the reverb Hot Rod head. It is a tube-driven reverb with (2)Ruby 12AX7's and a Sovtek EL84 power tube. I'm not very impressed with the amp soo far(especially the verb) but I'm sure everyone will be modding the crap out of them soon. I understand that the release date of them was posponed numerous times. I'm hoping that I can make this into a usable stand-alone reverb unit for my Fender Musicmaster Bass amp.
    Anyone else have a schematic?

11. lowatter

lowatter TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2008
    SC
    I found it for anyone interested.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.