Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Entered the GFS torture zone...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Miguello, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    As the owner of a few Duncan pups...and reading the opinions of others here...

They're not what you would call widely loved pickups in a general sense, especially when you factor in cost comparisons to boutique makers and even discount providers, like GFS.

2. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    "That's not a veneer top, right?"

Nope, not that I can see. It looks like a solid two piece body. The same grain is in the bottom of the pickup routing.

3. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    This Tele has a 20 year old Duncan pickup in the bridge, and a brand new Duncan Vintage 54 in the neck. They sound pretty nice to me. Lots of character and textures. No complaints.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I've had good luck with them.

6. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I have been thinking on the whole finishing thing. I am seriously considering darkening the grain with a youtube trick I saw. They used wallboard joint compound mixed to a pancake batter consistency with a black paint from an art supply store. It supposedly darkened the grain, and filled it at the same time, when you would wet sand it off. I would sand it clean again, then some kind of sealer possibly, then a Tru oil finish. Also considering sanding it up to 600, a few coats of Amber Shellac, then some minwax lacquer. I will probably redo the neck too, with the lacquer.

A smooth and level oil finish would be nice. I want to see the grain, just not the lines in the grain, where the oil sinks in. Then of course shielding in the pockets. It has no shielding right now, and it has the hum you'd expect.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.