Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Entered the GFS torture zone...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Miguello, Feb 12, 2017.

1. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Used an XGP white poplar body for a Tele build. Everything fit just fine. Lucky I guess?

The string through holes on the back were a little off. But, they're on the back, so I'll live with it.

As far as the weight goes. The finished product weighs just about as much as my PV58. Sorry I don't know the exact weight.

2. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    If mine comes out under 9 I will be happy with it. Anything lower will be a bonus. I've already lost the heavy body, and an entire humbucker pickup, which anyone will know weighs quite a bit, especially with a chrome cover. The control plate assembly is fairly hefty too though. I no longer have a hanging scale so I will probably take it to work, where we have a nice scale. I will tare the gig bag, then put the guitar into it, to lay it down. It's a fairly dirty environment, so I don't want to lay the freshly painted guitar on anything there.

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I can confirm this about the XGP. I just received a partscaster assembled for me. The only issue the builder had was the string holes were ever so slightly off, but not enough to cause problems.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I have one, just finished. The poplar is in between the GFS swamp ash and paulownia in terms of weight. Hope that helps.

Rod Parsons likes this.

6. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I just took the plunge on one of their new paisley bodies, wish me luck! I understand it's not a perfect facsimile, I just love that it's that pawlonia stuff. I hope it works- I love that stuff- I had a pawlonia body from them that I was saddened by when I assembled it- the hole alignment from bridge to neck was WAY off, and made it unplayable, almost like an old harp guitar with a drone string. It bummed me out, because it sounded WICKED and was as light as a feather, just so intriguing, especially long gig/bad shoulder-wise. I've liked everything else they ever sold me, and they are SUPER nice folks to deal with. I put together a Fiesta Red Esquire last year with one of their XGP bodies, and it was FAR more true than the first body. Bridge dropped right in. Used Asian ferrules, American ones too big. The finish isn't 100% smooth, and the wood is dense and rather "unringing" to my ear, but that guitar has become my #1 over far more expensive sister-wife guitars. (For you partocaster types, Sigler Music on Amazon sells the best little Eldred mod plate and knobs that realllllllly cook for less than the cost of the parts!) That guitar is magic to me.

I'm looking forward to putting a white pickguard on my new paisley and throwing some good pickups in. If the finish skews anywhere past "better than craft project", and the holes align, I'll be thrilled.

7. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    What I didn't like about GFS, was when I bought an Xtrem tremolo from them a couple of months ago. it creaked loudly during use. Like squeak squeak every time you pushed on it. I could also see it flexing during use, the arm side would move further than the opposite side. It would also refuse to stay in tune, even with a roller bridge and graphite in the nut slots. They immediately said they have sold THOUSANDS of them without a single issue, and that it was user error. I only wish I hadn't drilled four holes in a set neck full mahogany guitar to find out what it was like.

After this, I am done with them for good. There's plenty of guitar part dealers out there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    emisilly likes this.

8. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    "It's a vintage rout, and with a vintage bridge, there shouldn't be any butt crack."

Hmmm...Fender generally goes out of their way to include authentic vintage style butt crack on their Teles.

RomanS and emisilly like this.

9. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    It's alive!! Got the bridge fully installed, strings on, and wired up. Had a scary moment when I turned on the Delta Blues tweed, and zero sound came out.. I messed with all kinds of stuff, and feared my newly acquired awesome amp had taken a crap. WHEW!!! Funky George L cable attachment. Worked perfect last time, so it made me think something else was wrong. The intonation was kind of a bear, since I had to loosen a few saddles up to get at the bridge mounting screws when I pulled the old one apart. But once the strings were stretched and tuned, and intonation set, it sounds pretty much exactly like I was hoping for, a real Tele. I have a few things to iron out before I call it good and take it back apart. Height adjustment on the bridge pickup for one. The dreaded loosen the three screws and they lift up instead of dropping the pickup. Probably a stray wire holding it up, and I may need longer springs too. Don't know yet. Sounds VERY sweet, though, like a new guitar should. Happy!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    bo likes this.

10. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    So can any wood experts tell me if this is Ash or Swamp Ash? It weights about the same as my Alder MIM Strat. Maybe a hair or two less.

11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    A good argument could be made for stopping right there in your build/finishing process. That stripped-down bare guitar look is 5000% awesome, to my eye.

I've had this vision of that exact look, except spray the body in rattle-can red primer. Sort of a cross between Brent Mason's tele look and a rat rod.

12. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    Ya know, ive assembled and built COUNTLESS TELES, i tried thoes super cheezy bodies & necks;; their always such hart-burn!! Why dont quit waisting yer time ( mabe u got alot of time to waste)!! & break down, buy ONE GOOD AMERICAN QUALITY BODY WHERE ALL THE ANGLES,-ROUTS-HOLES JUST PAINLESSLY ALIGN TOGETHER RIGHT AT THE BEGINING????

13. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Pic with the pick guard. I have the bridge cover popped on right now, and I do need to trim some off the guard on the upper corner around the bridge. Kinda lopsided in person. Symmetry is a must, hehe.

No need to scream. I simply don't have a $450 body budget, that's all. It's a project. If it didn't need work then why start it? This thing plays quite nicely now and it sounds pretty fine with the Seymour Duncans. It's all lined up straight now for the most part, and I love it.

[​IMG]

14. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I agree that it looks great as-is. I'd just put a few coats of Tru-Oil on it for a bit of protection and call it done.

emisilly likes this.

15. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I think it looks really good. I was just seconds away from buying a GFS body when I saw that a $70 body was going to cost $70 to ship to the UK. I cancelled.

16. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Oh it looks nice, but needs a thorough sanding before I do anything to it. I think they stopped around 100 to 120 grit, if they even sanded it at all. Very rough and porous. I also want more of an amber to butterscotch look.

17. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Finally had a chance to crank it up a little. Like six on the DB, which would be as loud as 9 or 10 on my old Peavey Vypyr. This thing is incredible sounding. Like every awesome Telecaster recording I've ever heard rolled into one. Bottom end is punchy and low with that feathery overtone, and the high end is bright, sparkling and Strat like, but with more twang and attitude. I'm in love with this thing, and I have only spent about a total of 10-15 minutes playing it, haha.

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I've never bought anything bigger, like bodies or necks, from GFS. While the marketing can be over the top, I've found most of what I have bought(saddles, bridges,and some other misc. strat and tele parts) to be perfectly serviceable for the price.

19. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    That was pretty much the selling point for me. I was a little disappointed that the bridge didn't line up out of the box, but it is what it is, and all fixed up now. Sounds as good and plays as well as my Epiphone Standard LP Pro. It was probably close to $600 with tax, maybe more new. Bought it used a few months ago. A truly nice guitar for $399. Sold my regular Standard non Pro I got for $250, and sold another 1-2 lesser guitars to pick it up. My Strat, this guitar, and now the Tele Project, are my top three guitars, sound wise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

20. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Man, I am in such agreement with this. You got some awesome grain here.

That's not a veneer top, right?

21. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I also have a Jaguar vintage modified, but it just doesn't sound all that great, Duncan design pickups or not. I mean it sounds great, just not GREAT. Kind of one dimensional. I might swap the pickups on it and see if it transforms. I imagine it will.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.