Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Entered the GFS torture zone...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Miguello, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Just received my GFS solid ash unfinished body yesterday. My vintage style bridge, which has a bias to the high E already, met up with the high E biased routing and drilling of GFS. The result isn't pretty. The bridge needs to mount about 1/4" to 3/8" inch higher(towards my chest in playing position) for the strings to line up on the neck. I will also have to fill and redrill the pass thru's for the strings, obviously. Of course I will have to fill in the bottom of the bridge pickup pocket, and add the room up top.

The main problem is that the high E will be usable for only the first few frets, if I leave it as is. Add the fact that the routing for the control plate is too long, and the mounting holes fall right at the edge of the route. Just enough to clear the edge of the route on both ends. I will have to add material to the rear of the routing, so the plate can be forward, and fill the indention on the pick guard. It's kind of a mess...

Soooo, right now I am waiting for an answer from GFS. I am asking that they give a full refund and pay for me to ship all of the items back, for these issues, and for the fact that they sent the wrong body to begin with. I was going to go with it and do a amber finish natural, before I found the problems. They were supposed to send a finished Butterscotch color.

Now I am rethinking it.. I could fill in all of the misaligned holes that show, and go with a toploader bridge, correct? I ordered a tortoiseshell pickguard with it, which looks great with a lot of colors. Maybe a solid color wouldn't be so bad? Daphne blue, etc.. I have a Seymour Duncan neck pickup on the way anyway, that I would temporarily have no use for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I have read quite a few threads on the subject of GFS bodies. I ordered my first two about 3 months ago. The string holes on one of them are also a tad low, but with brass saddles, I am able to align the strings where needed, and they stay put. The string holes are also almost a quarter inch too far back for a vintage bridge. I am going to keep it for myself, but for future builds, that get some orders for, I will check the bodies very closely. If they aren't right, I will call them to exchange for one that is right. They have been good about returns and exchanges, from what I have read here, too. They might even let you keep the bad body, in the future, and send you a new one, rather than pay for shipping..

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Well, good luck with it. This is what you pay for when you're buying from GFS, some of it works, some of it doesn't.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    You might b able to fix the alignment problem with some adjustments to the bass-side wall of the neck pocket, maybe even just shims.

4pickupguy and Ira7 like this.
  6. FirTrader

FirTrader TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    Nope, send 'er back, there's no reason to have those holes in the wrong spot.

NilsZippo and 4pickupguy like this.
  7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

The XGP bodies are much more accurately routed.
    The regular ones are trash, especially if you buy an overstock item.
    They will take it back, you pay ship, give you store credit, and you can get an XGP body. You will be much happier.

TeleTown likes this.
  8. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Am I missing something here?

Your string spacing matches up, right? Bridge holes to body holes?

Sounds like you may have a neck alignment issue, doesn't it? Which isn't all that uncommon when taking a body from Company A and using a neck from Company B.

TigerG and SheldonP like this.
  9. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Been there and wont do it again! XGP bodies much better. You get what you pay for with GFS. Good Luck!

10. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Just my personal experience, my luck I guess, but I've done three partscasters with GFS, and only one is an XGP.

And damn if I saw any difference. Shimming neck heel when needed aside, they were all fine. Not to mention on these finished bodies (all three were finished), no difference in finish quality. In fact, I had to widen the pocket a hair on the XGP.

I'm almost convinced it's the exact same crap, and I use the word "crap" not to be derogatory, but to make the point. I think it's the same Chinese factory, doing the same manufacturing, but they go to the extra expense of stamping "XGP" in the neck pocket. Because think about it:

This is a basic old-fashioned marketing tool, making buyers think they're buying a better/premium product, when in fact, it's not. And let's face it:

GFS's owner is not exactly known for his integrity in marketing. Hell, according to every listing on everything they sell, it's the best thing since sliced bread. His sales pitches border on snake oil salesmanship, but it's so over the top that most people easily recognize it as such, and take it with a grain of salt. But it's so old-fashioned hard-sell verbiage that it gets to be really annoying after awhile.

But back to any GFS and XGP quality differential, and my neck pocket stamp only theory:

The price differential between the two is almost nothing. What--25 to 50 bucks!? How can so little make that much of a difference?

11. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    The E string leaves the nut, and never gets any closer or further from the edge of the fretboard than the nut slot, the high E hangs out over the edge of the bottom. I guess it's possible. I will try messing with it. There's not a lot of wiggle room in the heel though for the neck to pivot. I didn't want to relocate the neck pocket, as the amount of movement it needs to be straight with the bridge would hardly leave any surrounding wood around the lower neck screws. At least the body side lower neck screw would have enough, but not the headstock screw.

12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

In their standard bodies the neck pocket and string through holes, which control the placement of the bridge, do not line up-off by 3/16" to 3/8".

13. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Ha... Now I feel like a doofus. It definitely helped! The E string is still right on the angled end of the fret, or maybe a 32nd inch to the good way. I think I am going to enlarge the pass thru holes, and take just a bit out of the upper bridge pickup route, and it should be at least acceptable enough shape to play the dang thing. Hopefully it intonates. I am going to mock it up to pluggable/playable, then tear it back down for finishing. With any luck I may not have any pickup hole peeking out under the bridge on the bottom.

14. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Enlarging the upper part of the holes helped still a little more. Now breaking out the dremel to get a little breathing room for the pickup. It looks like this might work. If I have to fill any hole under the bottom of the bridge, it won't be a whole lot. I might get lucky.

I am SO glad I got a Craftsman drill press for Christmas around 11 years ago. I've used it more since getting back into guitars, than in any previous year of having it. Nothing better for sinking a perfect hole in a piece of wood.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    SheldonP likes this.
  15. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're not going to have a problem with intonation. Up and down ain't gonna matter much.

And yes--simply enlarging the string-through holes can make a world of difference. I had to do this once, and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it to mention. It's like water will always seek its level.

But you shouldn't have to, or want to, enlarge the pickup rout. No reason to.

16. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    The fit was close, since the pickup was too far back as mentioned by another member. The point of the back of the pickup hit the broken over line at the top of the pickup route, since it was already touching the back of the pocket. I drilled the bridge plate mounting holes, after checking the string location one last time. The strings are pretty much where they should be, and there is only a small sliver of the bottom of the pickup routing showing at the bottom lip of the bridge.

17. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're seriously making this claim?

18. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That ain't right.

It's a vintage rout, and with a vintage bridge, there shouldn't be any butt crack.

It'll play, but that isn't perfect.

And this is coming from a guy who has rarely done anything perfectly.

19. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Now I just have to wait for the neck pickup, which should arrive tomorrow. I have to run the wires of it through the rear cavity, so I'd rather see if there are any clearance issues with the routing or pick guard. I will probably have to remove a little pick guard in the bridge clearance area at the top. So it will match the clearance at the bottom side. Symmetrical looks better, IMHO. I have the bridge cover, but I don't use it much anyway. They generally need a little more pick guard clearance.

20. Miguello

Miguello TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I knew what I was getting into with this. Expecting perfect from a sub $60 guitar body is a lost cause. It's more of a "make it work" kind of situation. I think I got off pretty easy this time, but I will spend more money next time, and hopefully avoid these issues.

It's ash, it's light, and it was cheap.... My old custom Tele was 13 pounds of leg crushing fury. I am better off than I was.

This was the 13 pound beast. It's made of wood, but that's about the extent of knowledge of the construction. It looked a bit like a Louisville slugger, and weighed like 6-8 baseball bats, lol. I wanted a lighter, more original looking example, so that brought me to this quest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  21. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I sure love the light weight of the GFS regular Paulowina bodies. I am keeping my first build, [a Sea-foam Green Dbl. Bound body], that I just finished a couple weeks ago. It weighs six pounds exactly, even with the big chunky TMO Fat neck. Lifting one of my other two Teles, [8 lbs each], now feel like they're made of lead. I put '51 No-casters in it.. I love it. Are the XGP Poplar bodies light or heavy? I like the XCP Fiesta Red Dbl. Bound bodies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.