Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Ending the nitro vs poly debate once and for all

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by twangster2, Jan 18, 2012.

1. rjd81

rjd81 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Cambridge,uk
    IMO , there can be no difference in sound, especially once you plugged into an amp .
    The main difference would be the feel of it to touch and how quickly it wears and "relics "
    Before the relic craze came in fender changed to poly because it was a more stable ,hard wearing , faster drying , economical etc type paint to work with and if they actually believed that the sort of paint used would make their guitars sound worse then surely they wouldn't have started using poly at all .
    Bit of a question , were CBS responsible for bringing in poly?

2. ledet

ledet Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2009
    Hjørring, Denmark
    It's not about the tone for me. Of course there's no difference in tone, it's paint on an electric guitar.
    For me it's the fact that nitro actually wears with use and abuse. A nitro finished guitar gets prettier as time goes by.

3. When this yellow blonde Nitro T body I had drying fell and hit the floor, the sound was very clear and resonant. :^(

And this looks like damaged nitro. You can't get that look by having a poly body fall.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    uhh...

Attached Files:

6. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

this kind of dropped Tele look?...:cry:..

.. poly damages with the best of 'em....;)...

Attached Files:

7. Rumblebones

Rumblebones Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2008
    Fullerton, CA.
    OK, now end the debate on relicing.

8. RenegadeDave

RenegadeDave TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    I personally like the look of an aged nitro over poly, the fragile finish gives the guitars mojo(pretty quickly). I prefer the feel of a good quality thin finish, doesn't matter which.

And I SETTLED the debate: My explorer with heavy gauge strings tuned to standard is a lot louder acoustically than my tele with light gauge strings tuned to standard. THE END! That's as scientific as it gets! ... oh wait, this board doesn't have a sarcasm font either...

9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
  10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

I've heard Club owners pay more to bands that use Nitro and their women are better looking.......

11. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2007
    raleigh nc
    I'm glad this is settled. So many sleepless nights...

12. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    ANY finish type, thickness, color, yadda yadda, works fine for any plank guitar.

true and worthy acoustics are a totally different story, and a tampon polish is on the top of my acoustic finish schedule.

oh yeah, nitrocellulose is not a finish, it's a disaster waiting to happen far sooner than later. total krap.

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    This thread is over.

Oh wait......

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    The other day, I thought I’d ‘sperment….. so I took an old Tele . . . blasted the poly off with a furnace, sanded it, and squirted it with one coat of Nitro… I wanned it thin so the wood could breathe… even mixed a little nose spray in the paint to be sure all the pores we open,…. So it could breathe real gud.

So… I figured… what the heck, it’s all apart . . . so I level the frets ‘n make ‘em all shiny too….…. put a new Nervous Anna nut on it… Then replaced the trashy old gooped up pots, switch, and cap… even blowed all the dirt outta the hole where all them things fit....

Soze.. I’m lookin’ at it and think… sure why not…. So I popped in a nice new set of Lollars….. it was lookin’ sooooo good….. so…very good…. Then I picked up the old gooped up Fender bridge and sed, whut don’t belong…… so I gotta new Callaham… and screwed it down…..

So I put it all together and wind them nice new D’Addarios down nice ‘n tight…. ‘n give it a royal setup…. Then as I’m getting’ ready to plug it in, I say.,.. that there Marshall 15G juss ain’t uh gonna cut it…. So I run out ‘n pick up a nice new Twin….

I get back… yank that big boy outta the box… plug it all in let it “cook” for a few hours to burn in all the electronic’ ‘n stuff in it… then plug ‘er in…. Damn whatta sound….. couldn’t believe the change…

So I’m sitting here thinking… damn that Nitro really does sound good…. Wish I had a few thou extra sitting around, I’d paint a few more and make ‘em all sound as good… ;)

Ron Kirn < The crazy one…

15. Panheadless

Panheadless Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2011
    Georgia
    HAHAHAHA

I've seen nitro so thick that the guitar needed a respirator to breathe. Guy had it right on stage.

16. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    ron, you been sipping the koolaid instead of sweet tea. :D

17. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    All these guitar builders that use poly should have charges filed on em for suffocating so many poor innocent guitars.

What'd those guitars do to anyone? Its just not right ;->

Are y'all catching my sarcasm cause I'm laying it on pretty thick lol.

18. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    dude, almost all nitro slathered guitars have resin base seal coats, and for a very very good reason. think about it .....

19. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

20. Dejected_Ridge

Dejected_Ridge Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2008
    PA
    Wait... am I the only one who mics my finishes? Aw crap! ;) Personally there are so many things that contribute to whether I like a sound or not that what finish is on the guitar doesn't matter much to me... unless it's black... everyone knows that black guitars just sound better. J/K

-DJ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.