Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Ending the nitro vs poly debate once and for all

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by twangster2, Jan 18, 2012.

1. twangster2

twangster2 -----------------------

Dec 26, 2010
    hell
    When you have your amp at gig level, can you tell if your guitar is nitro or poly?

Can anyone in the crowd your playing to hear if your guitar is nitro or poly?

If the answer to any of those is no.

Debate over, keep giging and making the crowd and bar happy.

If the answer is yes.

Debate over, keep giging and making the crowd and bar happy.

2. Nice to see you live in hell as well.. I like the nitro because I like it and someone that likes the beautiful look of the poly can like that..cuz davey don't care the debate truly is over..:D

3. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    somehow I doubt the debate is over.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I thought the end to that debate (at least as far as Fender vintage vs new goes) was Fullerplast.

All the electric guys that worry about that are outta their minds.

Does it matter on great acoustics ? Absolutely.

Electrics ? No way.

6. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Well, maybe for today ... ? :D

7. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    [​IMG]

8. dada

dada Banned Troll

Jan 13, 2011
    San Carlos
    The crowd feels the nitro resonate against their belly in a more breathing organic way filled with overtones that resemble a Stradivari played by Isaac Stern on a warm summer evening with a nice bottle of wine and the scent of a beautiful woman wafting through their open minds inviting and inciting them....

9. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    +1

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 22, 2011
    GA
    No love for Tung Oil?

11. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Thank you for finally setting us straight on this frustrating and irksome issue.

I'm sure everyone here on the forum is relieved to finally know the truth and will be unanimously grateful for your wise words and council.

Have you got anything else you can help us with?

12. dada

dada Banned Troll

Jan 13, 2011
    San Carlos
    I like thick poly only on my acoustics. Nitro is a must for all of my solid bodies...

13. InfiniteRhino

InfiniteRhino Tele-Meister

"Ending the nitro vs poly debate once and for all"

There speaks an optimist! :)

14. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I thought we were finally done with this issue.

15. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Nothing is ever over even when the fat lady sings.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    If you prefer the feel of guitar finished with nitro, it doesn't matter whether the audience can tell or not. So the debate is definitely not over.

17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    All right. So I've got a question. If nitro actually does sound better than poly then do all of the nitro guitars that have been reliced and had half of the lacquer sanded off of their bodies only sound half as good. And, does a guitar with only half its nitro remaining sound the same, better, or worse than a poly guitar. Don't laugh. Really, I think this is important. BAAAARRRRFFFF

18. Krex1010

Krex1010 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Yeah it's true, the people in a club or bar probably don't care if the finish on your guitar is nitro or poly, just like they probably don't care what kind of clothes you are wearing, but I bet you care what your clothes look like. People have preferences, everyone has a preferred road to travel even though we are all heading to the same place.

19. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo!!!!
    Different strokes- the only reason there is a debate is because people like the original poster deem it necessary to bring it up. I think poly sucks... Debate on...

20. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2008
    mqt.
    I'm debating the statement that the debate is over. I have a nitro coated guitar and a poly coated guitar and totally tell a difference in tone. My nitro strat completely different from my poly Tele.

21. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo!!!!
    Ha!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.