Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

End joining boards for a neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jackadder, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    No idea how this board ended up like so but I want to join the pieces and make some necks. Anyone done something similar? Wondering how much overlap/what angle to cut them on. I'm assuming a fretboard glued on top will do more to keep them together than the join, but any advice/experiences welcome.

The wood is dense, quarter sawn blackwood.....pretty speccy!

IMG_9435.jpg
    IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd choose the same angle as if you were scarfing a peghead which is about 12 to 17 degrees. I don't think I'd try it myself though unless I didn't have any other wood to use. My philosophy is that all those joints will move and telegraph through the finish. I try to minimize that in my instruments. I'd use the wood for something else like a bookmatched top.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Mat UK and PingGuo like this.

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That wood is so lovely I would keep it for a top as well. However, if you absolutely had to use it for this, you could also consider a different type of joint, like a dovetail or something else. Either way, it's gorgeous wood.

4. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    End grain gluing won't hold. If you have to use it as a neck, move the joint as close the the headstock as possible, and do a scarf joint. That would be a side grain gluing, and it's stronger than the wood if done correctly.

DavidV likes this.

5. DavidV

DavidV TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    When I join 2 pieces of wood together to make a bow I use a z-splice or fishtail splice. splicing joints are the only way to join two boards together lengthwise with any sort of strength... and guitar necks are under enormous amounts of tension.

A z-splice is going to look pretty ugly but it's easy to do. A fishtail (or W-splice) looks a lot better but is more difficult. A template made of graph paper helps. I would just save that piece of wood for something else
    z splice.jpg W splice.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I agree with the others. A multi-faceted joint would be better. I would add some graphite rods the length of the neck to strengthen it too.

Lot of work involved, I'd find/buy another board.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Do you have a bandsaw? I would slice a small piece of veneer and use it as a headplate overlay (which would have to be thin and curved on a Tele neck).

But I would never waste those boards in any attempt to make them longer. neck wood is also a tone wood and even if you somehow found a way to make it stable you'd never have the tone that a real continuous piece of wood would have. Scarf joints on CNC machined Taylor necks still don't affect the area you're proposing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.