Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Encore "blaster" for a beater Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Adam-T, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Quite a gift mate, it's funny, I always have a look in CC when I go past one, cos you never know eh? Nice one!

2. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    VSG --------- I`m guessing that Encore MDF Bass of yours was an Indian one , I had a Korean made one and it was Plywood , no great shakes but typical of late 80s early 90s low end Korean stuff - Rough as a bears arse, Tough, unfinished (fret levelling, neck pocket etc) but trouble free when sorted . not as good as a Squier J-Bass (ANY of them) but usable..

The Encore LP clones are bolt on neck which immedietly stops me in my tracks - the Vintage V100 LPs are patchy even (Abysmal electrics, poor lacquering consistency, wood quality, neck setting variance, awful fret levelling) the Vintage SGs are patchy too (wood, lacquer cracks near the neck heel, fret levelling again) but more consistent than the LPs - Trev is definitely better for Fender stuff than Gibson, heard loads of good stuff about the Vintage Re-issued Strat copies and this Encore Tele is better than I`d have expected the Vintage brand one to be from my experience of the Gibson copies

Fret King is his top brand.. vastly overpriced and Uglified but the quality is there

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    The bass was a £40 second hand punt. I got something out of defretting it, plus the bridge and tuners are of surprisingly good quality. I've kept them, but since junked the rest. Encore are an odd brand. They have produced some real howlers in the past, they've also produced some total gems. A colleague had an Encore 335 copy. It was set neck, gloss black and rather lovely. He'd had it many years and bought it second hand. I'm going back to 2002, and it was a decade old then.
    Then we get MDF... Why, JHS, why?
    This is the one in the shop. At least I think it is..
    https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/encore/encore-e99-electric-guitar-cherry-sunburst

My Vintage SG ( yup, where the name comes from ) predates Trev's involvement. The wood for the body -looks- one piece. It isn't, but it is well matched. The neck is a five piece+ fingerboard. Three strips for the bulk of the neck, a heel piece and a one piece headstock scarfed on to the neck.
    The finish is very good. Bit on the thick side, but no runs or splodges. It still cleans up well.
    The pickups -were- superb. Over the years though, and without me realising it, they'd become very microphonic. Bit embarrassing when your guitar howls like a banshee as soon as the volume is raised to get over Thumpy McTubthump, the club fisted drummer. Since replaced with some Donlis open humbuckers. Mmmm, creamy.
    The bridge was pot metal for the saddles. My acidic sweat ate away at the saddles, now it has a roller bridge ( Wilkinson ). Good for those times I fit the Les Trem.
    The tuners have never given a moments concern. The nut needed no work and all the frets were fine. There is quite a bit of wear on them now, but that's what years of use does.

I tried the SG before buying it. The bloke in the shop claimed it was one that had been sent to a magazine for review, hence being sold as 'shop soiled' and not new. Hmmm. Might account for the setup being spot on, or maybe I dropped lucky. Dropping lucky should not be the way though.

Your Tele looks the biz.

4. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    sounds right - I had a V100 that had been through a workshop to get the frets levelled but they`re notorious for poor consistency, in fact there`s a guy over here who specializes in doing up V100s and selling them to students, every one he`s you`tubed has mislevelled frets . I got one which was OK , nice weight to but Epiphones are better, even Chinese ones and Korean ones are miles better. Epis are the total opposite - decent wood, electrics and fretwork but cheap hardware and horrendously dull pickups.

Yeah the Tele is a nice surprise, I only had to tickle two places on the fretboard for high spots - the weakest bits are the pots (now swapped) and needing to take it apart and assemble it properly just like a 90s-00s MIM Standard - LOL

BTW all Vintage branded instruments are post-trev as it was he who started the brand, it`s simply that older ones don`t have his name on and are more true to shape

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I thought gibson LPs were fragile enough are you sure they should a weaker wood. ;) Also I usually differentiate forum members by their avatar with you guys I'm getting triple vision. :p

6. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    LOL - Ones Lefthanded - One`s Japanese (Mine) haven`t a clue what VSGs is though it appears to have a HB or TV Jones at the neck .............

As for LPs there`s only one weak point, the Headstock due to the angle, otherwise you can batter down firedoors with the things - don `t try that with a Balsawood Encore Tele ;)

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Mine's a CVC with a humbucker in the neck :)

Scroll up and down real fast and maybe we can make a flicker book?

8. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    LOL !!! .. that Encore is replacing the CVC as a spare / beater , Classic Vibes are way way too good for that , totally wasted on that job and now owned by a lass who`s got it as a main guitar .

9. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    did you not think about selling the MIJ? (I joke of course) Back to LPs the body mass is there to help if dropped from a height, it should land body first and create a small crater. I don't know why but for some reason I feel like bashing LPs and gibsons at the moment although I do like them really.

10. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    - seriously it did cross my mind .. The CVC is amazingly well made, looks closer to the MIJ than it has a right to build wise but despite this the Jap one is made from far better wood, has better hardware and plays like butter, it`s also not plastic coated ;) (yeah it`s poly of course but no where near as thick)

11. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Squier's wood choice has always baffled me, they make the affinities out of alder, the standards out of agathis and the CVs are made of pine. Why is it backwards??? You'd think the bullets are made of ash with that progression (they're not, I checked :( ;))

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

12. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    the CVC is Alder thankfully - only the CV52s are pine .. Bullets are made from anything from plywood to Alder, yup, no logic ..

The oddest thing I saw was a late 80s Korean Tele which was made of PLASTIC - Yup, Cort had a thing about plastic bodies back then (the Curbow series - they did some for Ibanez too) but I didn`t know any Squier bodies were made from the stuff, but saw a pic of a chipped part and plastic it was..

13. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    ah so the chain stopped eventually, you'd think with the way the Chinese thought about tonewood with the other examples the Chinese fender modern player series would be made of plywood ;)

14. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    but the weirdness continues - Fender modern players which are made in the same factory as Squier Classic Vibe have inferior electrics to CV (pots are tiny, wiring miserable) and sometimes hardware too .. also (UK at least) the CVC costs more than any Modern player .. A Squier which costs more than a Fender !! - there are of course Korean and I`ve even seen an Indonesian "fender" too ..

15. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    that is strange, I'm in the UK too but I never thought fender would use the cheaper pots in there Chinese fenders, to be honest I don't think fender should have started making imports, they have a brand specifically for cheaper import models. I know some epiphones are more expensive than Gibson's but that's comparing an epiphone with all the bells and whistles (usa pickups, binding, etc) but all Gibson's are us made and epis are made in Asia and Indonesia. Not like with this, if someone described a budget guitar but well built made in Asia and a fender type you'd think it was a squier so why not label it that. (although we all know why, it's so people will buy the guitar for the logo) I'd probably get a squier over an import fender even though the quality is probably similar but part of me would think they'll probably cut more corners and think the badge will make up for it (like smaller pots). ;)

16. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    Here you go - pot panel from a Modern Player Marauder .. The socket was junk too, I replaced the lot

Fender-Marauder-Pots-o.JPG

Asmith likes this.

17. Adam-T

Adam-T TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2016
    UK
    Fender Japan are still using cheapo junk also - this is a 2016 Jap Classic Strat

Fender-StJp-Body-Elecs.jpg

Asmith likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.