Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Enchiladas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Jul 17, 2017 at 6:37 PM.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Do you have them? If so, how do you have them? I love Tex Mex food and have it a lot in the Summer. My typical recipe is standard enchilada sauce like Ole El Paso, black beans, cheese, and onions. Easy to make, very tasty. Season the beans as you like. I want to know people's recipes. I'm in a food mood these days.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I know I'm on the wrong side of the wrong border, but from what I've tasted ...

tamale > enchilada

And yet, I've never attempted to make tamales. Who rolls their own?

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    1293, that's a lot of trouble to make, but killer. Thanks.

Big Daddy, I think tamales are in corn husks.

5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

You can use a rotisserie chicken. I make my own tortillas, but you can buy those, too.

Dan R likes this.

6. BigDaddyLH

I think they're a lot more involved: you make a dough with masa harina (sp?) and fill that, all wrapped in a corn husk, then steam it.

Dan R likes this.

7. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    My ex-wife used to make tamales at Christmas. The meat would be made in a crock pot, and she would buy masa preparada at the grocery store. SHe could make 2 weeks worth of tamales in one night.

I guess you can't buy masa preparada very easily in Canuckistan?

As for enchiladas, I love 'em. I use my grandmother's secret sauce recipe - the canned stuff is too bitter

Dan R likes this.

8. BigDaddyLH

Only if mashed up Tim Horton doughnuts are an acceptable substitute :(

teletimetx and J Hog like this.

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Weather report: Chili today, and a hot tamale.

william tele and xafinity like this.

10. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Mmmmm... Enchiladaaas:)

I make 'em like I did back in college - stuck in the past I guess...

Store-bought torts (which can be had in much better quality around here now). Run the tort through hot oil very quickly, roll up with less-than-you'd-think amount of filling, and place in baking dish - or onto plate if you're going to finish that way. Sauce and bake hot for a short time.

Fillings vary, but I'm usually heavy on onions and cilantro with whatever meat. Beef gets red sauce, pork gets green, chicken can go either way. Shrimp with green is probably my current favorite.

Actually just cheese and onions, which was a cheap go-to back in the day, is still one of my favorites too.

richa and Dan R like this.

11. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    Use as fresh corn tortillas as possible. Heat skillet of enchilada sauce, using a spatula dip tortilla flat in sauce to soften, put tortilla flat on plate if serving immediately or on cookie sheet if waiting, put in filling of meat, cheese, or sour cream, and cilantro and onions and chilis to taste, roll tortilla, spoon a little more sauce on top, garnish with white onion, some folks use cheese on top too. Growing up sour cream, onion and black olive enchiladas were our go to no meat Friday or lenten meals. My grandmother and mother never used anything other than sour cream as a filling.

My grandmother's method: same as above but soften tortilla in lard, crisco or vegetable oil.

Extra flavor if you make enchilada sauce from scratch. Triple extra if handmade corn tortillas from scratch.

Dan R likes this.

12. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Mmm, fried Espandrillos Empandas with extra cheese

13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    There is a store not too far from where I live called Dona Tere Tamales. They hand roll all the tamales and have tons of varieties; including different gravies/sauces to go with them. It is take-out and a real treat in our house for special occasions. We also go to Sylvia's Enchalada Kitchen ( http://www.sylviasenchiladas.com/ ). Sylvia has cooking classes on the weekend and as part of the class you get to eat the meal she prepares. Highly recommend her cook book for making enchiladas.

teletimetx and Dan R like this.

14. BigDaddyLH

Durnit, yer making me hungry. I'm going to have to make do with pierogies and ketchup :mad:

dented and telleutelleme like this.

15. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    I'd give good money for a good pierogi right now....

16. BigDaddyLH

We all want what we haven't got.

Johnson johnson likes this.

17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Huh uh! I don't want shingles!

Telecasterless likes this.

18. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I had a barrio Mama of one of my neighbors bring over some enchiladas Sunday night. They were chicken, jalapenos and cheese in a white sauce with some kind of fruit. Didn't know what it was but it was delicioso my friends! No red sauce at all.

Dan R likes this.

19. Reverb Dude

Reverb Dude Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2011
    Tx
    In Texas we like gravy on our enchiladas not some salsa type sauce like in New Mexico.

20. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Shrimp and mushroom enchiladas with a nice white cheese sauce.

A few Dos Equis and enjoy.

Stay thirsty my friend!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.