Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Emotion in musical sound

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Do you feel emotion when you recreate in your mind a recording or performance of a favorite piece of music? When Beethoven was very far gone with his hearing loss, he still continued to compose. What torture that must have been for him. Someone once played me a recording that represent what current researchers believe that he was able to hear. It was the saddest music ever. I got lucky and recognized the shape of the melody, which turned out to be Tie a Yellow Ribbon... What a way to go out of life through your final years.

I am not done. What about emotions that we had experienced in the past, and are recreating by conjuring up the emotional experience that we felt listening to the piece the first time. We don't know anything, as our experiences in music have taught us again and again.

2. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Yes I do, music has always been about emotion to me. I could say a lot more about that, but then I would be hijacking your thread.

3. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

Art = science + emotion.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Ol' Ludwig's mind's ear must have been quite refined, judging by his late string quartets.

Coincidentally, the music that's most easily conjured up in my head are his piano concertos, since I listened to them hundreds of times as a teenager. The emotions attached to them aren't feelings I could attach a name to.

6. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

Not so much probably, but music is surely highly emotive and is present in so much of human endeavor. I can recall the memory of the emotion more strongly than the music in most cases.

There’s one particular performance that was absolutely electrifying, the last song in a set by Kelley Hunt, a regional blues artist from Kansas who should be a household name round the world. It was soul searing. I was seated next to Ann Rabson, Gaye Adegbalola from Uppity Blueswomen and they were just as overcome and teary eyed and without words as the rest of us.

I can’t recall the melody or the form of the song but I remember vividly being totally overwhelmed by the performance.

7. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

When I play some things in my head, yes, they move me. Only a fraction of what they do when I play or hear them out loud, but they do move me. I suppose in Beethoven's case, if being a little moved was all he was going to get, he must have jumped at the chance. I know that's what I would do.

8. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Meister

Hear, hear! :p

9. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Always. To move me there has to be an emotional component.

10. meric

meric Tele-Holic

I am always amazed when music ( not words or lyrics or the emotion in a human voice ) just notes played on a wood or brass instrument can make me feel a certain way or conjure up an image......that is the beauty of it....it cannot be expressed with words....it is music.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Of course, especially when I think about

12. studio

studio Friend of Leo's

There's a book I have somewhere.......

All About Chords?
    All About Music?
    All About (something)?

Anyway, the name escapes me, but there is a chapter
    that is dedicated to chords, scales etc. that gives the reader
    an inventory of the chord, note, and it's relationship to
    an emotive or expressional definition.

I have to dig it up now that I've read this thread.
    Does anyone have that book readily available?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.