Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Eminence GA-SC64 Alessandro - similar, higher wattage speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JDB2, Dec 4, 2018.

1. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Greetings - I recently picked up a 12" open back cab that came with an Eminence GA-SC64 Alessandro. I've played mostly V30s before and the smoothness and richness of the GA-SC64 has been game changing for me. I love the sound, but I'm powering a 40 watt speaker with a 60 watt amp (Fender Prosonic head) and would like a speaker that can handle higher power.

I've been puzzling over subjective descriptions, graphs, and youtube demos of the vast universe of speakers available and achieved little by way of clarity. So I thought I'd lob this question out there to the forum. Is anyone familiar enough with the characteristics of the GA-SC64 to recommend a higher power speaker that might sound similar? Ceramic would be great but I'm also looking at high power Alnico offerings . . . . Thanks . . .

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I would suggest contacting Anthony Lucas at Emi customer service. He is very good about responding to inquiries, ime. In particular, I would wonder if the Legend 1275 might fit your bill with regard to something like the GA-SC64.
    For my purposes with the Pro Sonic Head, which is voiced differently compared to the Pro Sonic combo amp, I would look to something like the Emi Legend GB128...but that is a personal thought because the Pro Sonic Head is a bit brighter than the combo for some reason, Ime. However, the GB128 is only a 50 watt speaker. I would want two of them for that amp.
    If you ran across an EV for the right money, that is a high-powered speaker for that...or any...amp, imho.

JDB2 likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I have not AB'd them. Right now I'm in love with the GA SC64. And have wondered the same thing.
    But I used to have a Weber ceramic Silver Bell, 75 watt, hemp cone that (from memory) was pretty similar. I think they may make it 100 watt too. However, not sure the Hemp is necessary, at the time I had a non hemp cone 50 watt and those speakers were very similar sounding.

JDB2 likes this.
  4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Could always turn in the 1x12 for a 2x12 with the same speakers..

JDB2 likes this.
  5. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Anthony responded to me right away and advised they don't have anything really similar to the GA-SC64 in higher power but that I might like the Red White and Blues. Thoughts?

Yeah, but I've been wanting a 1x12 open back cab for awhile. I've got a nice closed back 2x12 and I like the GA-SC64 so much that I'm considering buying another and pairing them in that 2x12 cab after I find another speaker for the 1x12. But that means one new cab purchase is leading to the purchase of 2 new speakers, which really wasn't my intent. I kind of expected I could sell the GA-SC64, but nooooo

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The R,W &B was what caught my eye when looking at the specs. Perhaps with a felt dust cover as on the GASC12??

What will get really interesting is if you don’t like the GA-SC speakers in a closed back cab.

JDB2 likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I have both for about a year now. Surprisingly, the RW&B I have is somewhat bright on the top compared with the GA SC and it's been a year. I had one several years ago and it didn't seem that way. So not sure what to think now.
    Closed back performance and sound is very different than open. You may not even like the GASC in that.

JDB2 likes this.
  8. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2008
    CA
    I would also try out the Tomo Fujita sig

JDB2 likes this.
  9. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Anthony at Emi's take is that the RW&B is darker than the GA-SC64 . . . not as articulate in the high frequency range. That doesn't seem borne out by your recent experience.

Anyway, I listened to some RW&B demos that seemed similar to what I'm looking for, so I ordered one . . . If that doesn't work out, I'll look into the Weber Silver Bell.

And I may try out the GA-SC with another in my closed back 2x12 and see how that sounds. Or if necessary, my 1x12 is large enough to become a 2x12 if I replace the baffle. But then I won't have a 1x12 again.

That looks really cool but I'm looking for something to handle a bit more power than 50 watts.

Thanks all!

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    If none of that works out, an EV or hemp cone or paper dust cap JBL D120F.

JDB2 likes this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Celestion has that new massive red. Handles mega-watts.
    That could handle any transient I would assume.

JDB2 likes this.
  12. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    I don't know off-hand the power rating of the Altec Lansing 417 (either the new ones or, if you could find one, the vintage ones), but it really doesn't take a back seat to any speaker when it comes to clear and sparkly 12".

JDB2 likes this.
  13. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    100 watts for the 417-8H. 80 watts for other varients I believe. Boogies can still blow them in a 1x12.

thebowl and JDB2 like this.
  14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    isn't real vintage sound tied somehow to low wattage? It might be impossible request really

But emi RWB gives a great Fender tone; at 120 watts. However; some of the chime is definitely sacrificed. Balanced speaker though. It sounds fantastic in my Fargen (deluxe reverb)

15. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, that was my take on my previous RW&B years ago too, like Anthony's.... I think my description may be related to the trouble I'm having with that amp. Coincidentally that trouble started about the time I bought that speaker for it! I will know tonite if it's the speaker or still an amp issue.

16. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    RW&B is one of my favorites for many years. Also Naylor SD50 if you can find one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.