Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Eminence Big Ben - how does it do in a blackface Fender amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 63 vibroverb, Mar 20, 2018.

1. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, not a fan of most RI Jensens either. The C12/15K being the exception... if you want a clean robust speaker.
    Let's see.... I tried the Ben in a couple things with Stratocasters. I used the Ben with a BFDR separate cabinet and with a SF Bassman head. Also tried it in a Gibson Lab Series 150 watt SS amp. I just never found a home for it.
    I still have either the Ben or the big C15K out there. I think I sold the Ben, need to look. SPAM: Make you a deal on either I have.

2. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    Sounds pretty good - if anything, the Big Ben may just be missing a little bit of that top sparkle the RWBs do. Could be the way your friend EQ'd his Deluxe. Think I'm gonna request a 15" version of RWB - if that can't happen, Big Ben would be a good plan B. Thanks for all the help homesick!

I'd consider it, but I need 4 ohms. Thanks though.

3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Wow, I missed that. I thought Vbrasonics were 8 ohm, 1 x 15 steel guitar amps?

4. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    La Bombonera
    IMHO, the Delta Blues with the Big Ben is somewhat Vox-like in the chime department but with a warmer, fuller, and definitely BIGGER sound than an AC 15 or AC 30 renders. Top end sparkle happens with the treble at about 3:00 and the Bass at about 1:00 with the volume at about 3-4. Honestly, and I know this could incite some flak by saying this, but it is extremely reminiscent of D style amps that I've played. If I want to cop a Robben Ford or Larry Carlton vibe, my AC15 and 5F6A will take some time on the bench and the Peavey is in the on deck circle ready to step up to the plate. (yeah, I'm kiiiiiiiiiinda excited for baseball season...)

63 vibroverb likes this.

5. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    The silverface VibrOsonics were 8 ohms, but my amp is the Custom VibrAsonic from the 90's with 4 ohms. It's basically a Twin Reverb modified by Bruce Zinky when he worked at Fender. One of the channels kept the Twin preamp, the other was changed to a Vibro King. Cool amp.

Maradona86, schmee and FenderLover like this.

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    good luck!

63 vibroverb likes this.

7. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    This guy gets some good sparkle from his Big Ben - overdrive is nice too

8. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    OP yes listen to that.^^^^
    Yep that's just like a Ben or C15K or Weber Cali to my ears. Not a sound I like.... too ... hmmm.. flat response, no bite, no edge. Kind of a flat "krang" with the P90's. But... that's why we all sound different I guess. To each his own!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Hard to make good comparisons, but maybe this is closer to what I hear a P90 and good speaker should sound like, when pushed anyway. Got some jangle, cut and edge to it

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018

10. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    Sounds like a Celestion G12H30 to my ears, but this guy uses a lot of pedal gain throughout so it's hard to tell at times. Definitely has that british top end and hollow snarl.

I appreciate a speaker with a hefty amount of low mids to help notes sing when playing clean or with some hair. American style speakers (C12N and RWB) seem to do that better than British to my ears. Anthony at the Eminence custom shop didn't seem too excited about making a 15" RWB for me, so it seems I have no choice but to settle for the Big Ben.

11. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. For a 15", the Big Ben sure displays qualities rarely find in other 15s, and is not that far removed from the RWB: tight bass, slight treble roll off, nice lower mids, etc.. It adds a little spike of high mids that we call Britishness

It's a great speaker really. The nicest 15 in my book.

And BTW the big ben is not remotely similar to the H30, not even close.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    63 vibroverb likes this.

12. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    Thanks man, I put in an order for a 4 ohm Big Ben. We'll see what happens.

13. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Remember that this is a 225w behemoth - find ways to break it in. Makes a big difference

I connected it to a bass wave sweep and left it for a couple of days straight (very moderate volume)

Yes it works. Although it was low volume; the cone was moving & the cab vibrating - so it did the job

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

14. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    Finally received the Big Ben this weekend. Hooked it up in my Vibrasonic and was surprised by the amount of treble and sparkle it had! It was definitely not as tubby/muddy sounding as some of the videos sounded. First impressions are it's very full sounding and fairly efficient. A few hours of playing really opened it up - it got clearer and louder. Mids aren't quite as fat as the Red White Blues, but still plenty of it. Bass is a bit fatter/bigger than the RWB, but still holds together firmly. There is a prominent bump in the high mids that pushes it into Celestion territory, but turning the treble down and the mids up evens it out and Americanizes it. Blackface cleans are sung beautifully - way better than I expected. The speaker stays solid and doesn't break a sweat when I turn the amp up (100 watts with volume on 4-6). I'm almost wondering if this speaker sounds the same as a stock Big Ben - maybe the engineer tweaked it a bit more for my liking? I was going into this expecting a compromise, but I am surprisingly pleased!

Will see how it sounds as it keeps breaking in and opening up. It takes EQ adjustments pretty well and goes along with them willingly. The Weber Cali would "fight back" with certain settings and get kinda pokey/stiff. Definitely gonna see how it handles overdrive this week when I'm home alone.

Thanks for the push, homesick.

teletimetx and Wally like this.

15. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Most welcome

There's even better news: prepare for a good improvement after playing/breaking for a while!!!

63 vibroverb and Wally like this.

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Eminence Legend 1518. 4 ohms. 150 watts 225 watts peak. Pressed steel (lightish) but a take on cast EV15. I'd suggest Altec 417, JBL D or K 140 but like the cast EVs they weigh as much as a compact car.

It is transparent but has warmth.

powerwagonjohn likes this.

17. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    I believe it!

The Legend is a nice speaker, but I feel does better in an amp with lots of mids. It's scooped character doesn't compliment the scooped BF tone, I don't think.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Have you checked out the graphs for those two Emi’s?

19. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    i experimented with lots of 15s, same pine cab. THe last before the Big Ben was the Legend. No mids complexity to speak of -

Legend behaved well in a Matchless environment & with a tweed Victoria. It didn't perform well in a bf amp. All spike, no meat.

All the 15 I have were "weird" one way or the other, too this or too that. The Big Ben performed like a regular speaker; just sounding BIG as should a 15, in my "dreams".

The bass is wonderful: posed; wide, vocal.

All in all another hidden gem from EMi - the other being the Ramrod 10; which is a wonderful speaker. And the RWB And the Lil Texas :)

Wally likes this.

20. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2014
    Lititz, PA
    No, I haven't Wally. Only going off from hearing them in person in similar amps. What are you seeing?

Tried some overdrive and it sounds very punchy but slightly fizzy. Over the hour, the fizz started to smooth out - although maybe it's just in my head. I suspect some more break-in time will help with this, I did notice the cleans being a lot sweeter after pummeling the speaker with the OD for a bit. May just need some EQ adjustments too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.