emerson custom prewired kits

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by matt117, Jun 3, 2015.

1. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Hey just wondering if any of you have tried their kits or can give me your insight?

http://www.emersoncustom.com/product/3-way-telecaster-prewired-kit

From what I see is there isn't anything magical about them based on their wiring. They have a .047mf pio cap from the vol to the tone pot, and a treble bleed on the volume (NOS mallory .047mf cap with a 220k resistor in parallel). I've just heard from two people that have an american special/hwy 1 it was an amazing tone increase - but how? - they replied clearer. The fact that they no longer have a greasbucket circuit perhaps?

I am wondering How would that compare(sound like) to my current set up? That is wired in standard telecaster wiring, although I put in a .022mf cap as I found I liked that value more then .047. I don't have a treble bleed that some teles come with, I believe it is a .001mf cap some come with.
    I know that a 0.047 is darker- less highs.

Thanks

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it sounds any clearer it may be due to the treble bleed, or due to "wishful thinking"

3. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

That is what I am inclined to think as well.. after they've dropped 65$ plus shipping.
    Have any experience with the emerson pro cts pots?

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They are good. Nothing magic about them. Save you some trouble, but you pay many times more than if you source the parts and put it together yourself.

5. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I have one in my 2000 American Series Tele. Only diff is a PIO cap from someone. I got it because I had soldered my stock setup to death and the pot shafts were wiggling a bunch. Been working great for years with no trouble.

6. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Their claims about the 'amazing' PIO caps made me wince. After reading so many of the discussions from the techs here on TDPRI, about how the tone cap only bleeds off the high frequencies, and how it is not even in the signal, I am skeptical of companies, that use the claim as a big selling point. I fell for that several years ago and bought a Russian PIO cap for six bucks and it is still in my Tele. However, it isn't really 'magical'. I ordered a .015 ohm cap and the value suits my needs so I left it in. I used to use the slogan about how the oil, [in the PIO caps], lubricated the electricity and made it go faster, as a joke. But when a couple members questioned my knowledge, I removed it so as not to cause any confusion.. Ha ha.. I'm sure some of you remember it... :):):)

Bartholomew3 likes this.
  7. kendalosborne

kendalosborne TDPRI Member

For the record, the other reason the Emerson kits are considered "better" is because of the tolerances. Sometimes when you order a 250k Pot, it can vary as much as 20% one way or the other...meaning you could get 200k, or 300k.

We use 250k pots with singles and 500k with humbuckers because of their tonal differences; 250k pots are a little more rolled off on the top end and 500k are a little less rolled off, meaning 250k are "warmer" and 500k are "brighter" to help offset the tone of the pickups.

This is all well and good, but if you get a 400k pot in your Les Paul, it's going to sound dull. If you get a 550k, it might sound a bit bitey. Same with Teles, if you get a 200k pot or a 300k pot, it's not going to sound like you expect. As far as I know, Mitch's pots are +/-8% which is actually very good for pots. That means the maximum it could be out would be something like "20k" each way. 230/270.

So if people reported their Emerson electronics sounding "clearer" it very well could be that they got an ACTUAL 250k pot instead of a 180 or 200 from whatever crappy manufacturer was in there stock. Granted, the people that had 300k pots might put in the Emerson assemblies and say "WOW THE TONE IS SO WARM." haha. It's all relative. Also having a good taper, treble bleed or volume mod or whatever else can aide with clarity at lower volumes.

---

Admittedly, I am a little biased, Mitch is my brother in law! haha. So yes, I'm biased, HOWEVER, I'm also a realist and a stickler for tone. For almost two years he would test pot after pot, one at a time, and just send them back to the manufacturer if they weren't reading close enough. He would get some pots that were all over the map - kinda ridiculous. When he switched to CTS, that got better, but not to his standard. He would still get pots that were +/-10 to 20% off. He wanted to have his pedals and prewired assemblies be as consistent as possible. I also think he would get lots of variance in the taper, and he wanted something a little more well balanced as the volume reduces.

Eventually he just decided to get pots made with his name because he was sick of testing all of them for quality control. I wouldn't have taken the time to make this post if I truly didn't believe his stuff was good. I wouldn't have bashed my own brother in law, but I would have just kept my mouth shut. I mean heck, I use his stuff in my guitars! I think it's great.

JoeBubbit likes this.
  8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am not that picky about the value. If it's between 230k and 300k it's good to me. If your guitar is not bright enough turn up the treble. :cool:

I'm actually using a 460k ("500k" pot w/ a 950 k ("1M") resistor from the wiper to ground for ~300k in my tele right now.

That said, I usually buy pots in small batches and I have a multimeter so I'm able to discard a pot if its value is way too low. A 200k pot would still be useful as a no-load tone control.

9. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

I have been using their pots with no complaints - I like them. I think that is all good! I actually just ordered some more the other day for my les paul. I wasn't trying to rag on the company - I've just heard people claiming them to be magical how their tone changed - when in fact its likely the individuals had not ever played with different value caps, or used a tight tolerance pot.

10. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

Funny thing - Years ago I knew a guy who built his own "HI - FI" stereo sets - when there were records. He said he could hear the difference when he used gold plated contacts on all the connectors...
    Maybe he could, I don't know...but maybe it was all imagination.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I buy in small batches, too, and I measure each one, and write the number on the side. Then, I mix and match as needed at the time. I'm not that fussy about these values.

That said, I might consider buying tighter tolerance pots, but I don't see the value in pre-wired assemblies. You still need to own a soldering iron to complete the installation, and wiring a stock Tele (or a 4-way with a treble bleed, etc) just isn't that hard. Different strokes...

12. Rick-kcmo

Rick-kcmo TDPRI Member

For the record (couldn't resist) record/lp sales hit a 28 year high last year. Barnes and Noble is even selling them. CD sales are dying quickly. Low rez streaming is king, of course, proving the concept of it being difficult to underestimate the general public.

I want good pots and caps, even when the caps are not in series with the signal. I have designed high end speakers for many years and it can make a difference but less so than series. Mainly I want a good feel, accurate values and reliability, especially with my fondness for semi-hollows that are a pain to get in to.

willyb likes this.
  13. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Bump..

I have purchased tele prewired kit. However i found out that the kit won’t function properly cause my guitar is lefty. Would i still benefit from the kit by changing its pots with reversed audio pots for lefties?

14. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

Email them and ask if they do lefty kits.

15. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

They already write in their website that they do not produce lefty kits & pots.
    Thats why i was wondering if changing the pots on their kit with lefty pots would work.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

At that point you may as well forgo the prewired - since it isn't anymore - and just buy the parts you want and wire 'em up. It's not that hard. I get it if someone doesn't want to bother soldering, etc, but you seem to have no choice.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

"Tone increase." LMFAO

18. guitarhawg

guitarhawg NEW MEMBER!

I just got an Emerson prewired kit...more on that later, but first a little background.

Brand new to the forum. Brand new to Teles as well...been playing for 41 years, and am fortunate to have a nice guitar collection...but in that 41 years, I've never owned a Tele. I've been wanting one, but never found one (that I could afford) that spoke to me enough to buy. Almost on a whim about a week and a half ago, I found a 1992 MIM Tele on Facebook Marketplace...made a deal on it and took it home. Had a fantastic neck, and sounded pretty good...but I bought it to tinker, so I did. First stop was getting it tweaked and set up by my regular tech. Someone had previously changed the nut, and it was atrociously high, and poorly cut. My tech cut a new bone nut, set it up for 10's vs the existing 9's, lowered the action to my liking, and now it plays fantastic! Next, I installed a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster set in it...really great sounding pickups, a marked improvement over what was in it. While wiring the pickups, I saw that the original harness was a horror show. Whoever worked on it had it filled with terrible, sloppy solder joints, etc. So, I decided to try one of the Emerson kits. Maybe it's because of the crap looking solder joints, maybe just the aged 25+ year old components, but whatever the reason, the kit was a BIG improvement. Nice and clear, and a tad more output. The pots are way smoother taper, and really allow for subtle adjustments. The tone pot went from "nothing...nothing...nothing...MUD" to a really usable adjustment...subtle rolloff of the highs...really nice tonal variation. I don't know about magic this or magic that...but it's got my guitar sounding great.

I guess my point of this rambling post is: I strongly recommend the Emerson kit, and if you don't mind spending 70 some-aught bucks on it, I say go for it. At least in my case, it was a great buy. As far as the kit quality and workmanship, I don't think I've ever seen a better job on a wiring harness.

Just my $.02 Now I've gotta peruse the forum and learn what I've been missing.

Rickaphonic and Mincer like this.
  19. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

That's my experience as well.

I bought a new control plate, Orange Drop cap, switch & CTS pots for my MIJ Custom Tele and had less than $50 invested.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

i got one of these to go in a new tele build. some will think im stupid for buying it but im new to building my own stuff and just learned how to solder a little. so it was worth it to me to have all this stuffed wired and i only gotta do minimal wiring. hopefully later ill put together my own entire plate stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.