Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Elvis Costello

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC

I saw Elvis about 10 years ago. He played nearly every song off "My Aim is True". He changed guitars almost every song. Not a good hall, but a good show. No encore. Elvis is a great musical artist in every way.

Who is a fan?

2. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Gibson, nojazzhere, Teddyjack and 2 others like this.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Huge fan here!
    I saw him in 1987 at (Wiillie's) Austin Opry House on S. Congress.
    He was touring to support The King Of America.
    The backup band was the Confederates.
    James Burton, Jerry Scheff, Benmont Tench, Jim Keltner, and NICK LOWE!
    Elvis sang his arse off!
    One of the best shows I've ever seen!

bender66, joealso, Southpole and 4 others like this.

6. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    The Attractions were an amazing backing band. My favorite thing is when Pete Thomas rings the telephone on the ride cymbal in "No Action" after Elvis says "I'm not a telephone junkie."

If you watch, he is mouthing the words along with Elvis. I maintain that a good drummer knows the vocal line as well as the singer, and emphasizes the parts of the song that need a push or a spotlight. Pete is the master of playing the song, not the beat.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    Tommy Biggs likes this.

7. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    I wasn’t when I was younger. I really appreciate him now.

bender66, Gibson and brookdalebill like this.

8. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2006
    Southen Indiana
    Recently picked up the Best Of The First Ten Years Collection-brilliant stuff!

brookdalebill likes this.

9. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2017
    Burlington, VT
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan too. I saw him for the first time in the late 80's. An acoustic show with the big wheel of songs audience members could spin. Nick Lowe opened and they played some songs together at the end of the show.

He was back this past summer for an outdoor show with a band. It was cool seeing him just walking around downtown the afternoon before the show.

10. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    I really miss his show, "Spectacle." It might have been a Canadian thing, but Elvis hosted a musician-geek show with an amazing and eclectic range of guests. If you ever doubted him as an artist, this show cemented him as the real deal.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I saw this on SNL when it first happened......it was really a hoot that anyone would do that. Did that really get him banned? He had amazing energy and appeal back then....still puts on a great show. Of all his great performances, I still think my fave is Nick Lowe's What So Funny 'Bout.....etc.

Minimalist518 and Tommy Biggs like this.

12. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I am a fan for sure. When his first album came out I played it nonstop for awhile. I think I got an imported copy before it was actually released here.

I saw him in concert the first time he performed in Houston and it was brilliant. Along with his great performance, the light show was stunning and probably the best light show I have ever seen.

brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.

13. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I saw him this past summer. Great show.

14. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    I have a few of his later albums. I think he's one of the best lyricists there is. And a great orchestrator of guitar tones.

15. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Love Elvis. Saw him in 1980 (?) with Squeeze as opener. Wish I still had the concert Tee. Been a fan ever since. Well, don't listen so much any more, but he'll always be top shelf with me. I have the requisite Elvis songbook. My Aim is True is a classic, but I prefer This Year's Model. I sort of shut it down after Get Happy! but still like some of his work since then, which ironically is like 80% of has catalogue. I guess when I was REALLY into him, he only had 3 albums out, so that's how I mostly remember him.

16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Just happen to be listening to him this morning.

17. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Armed Forces is my favourite. We used to dance to Olivers Army but take a listen to the lyrics now! No one else could write a song like that. Never seen him live but wish I could have.

Dan R likes this.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Bears repeating.

Dan R and brookdalebill like this.

19. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    A fan here too. Saw him once in Pori Jazz.
    My aim is true is a great album. And he's got a nice singing voice. As singers I like Elvis C, Lenny Kraviz, Brian Setzer, Phil Lynott, John Fogerty and Nick Curran.
    Elvis Costello is a great song writer. I just heard about his (old) country album - gotta have it some day...

bender66 and brookdalebill like this.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I like Elvis C, but my favorite thing about him is still that Chrissie Hynde sucker punched him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.