Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Elpee , Everybodies Doing it

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Feb 23, 2013.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Well , I couldn't resist the urge to build an LP anymore , not after seeing Preeb and Muzikp and OpenG and Mojotron , so I figured I'll try my hand at one of these , not gonna be a very fast build , this is all new stuff to me but it'll be fun , can't do any finish work on the other projects I've got going so might as well make some sawdust .
    All I've done so far is glue up the body blank , its Sapele I've had for a year or so , yea , its heavy , it's gonna get the swiss chess weight reduction , I've got some nice maple for a non book matched flame top for a burst finish or I could go plain maple for a Goldtop , I never really thought to much about GT's until James finished his , now I kinda want one so we'll see on that . I'll probably get another piece of Sapele for the neck and go with a Rosewood FB

Here's some pics

Sapele thinned down to 1 .760 and ran through the jointer on two edges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glued and clamped

[​IMG]

Here's the flame maple if I go with a burst finish , it's 3/4" x 8" x 6' , I'll need to thin it down a bit if I use it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't even start on templates yet , but will soon , I have the Bartlett plans and a whole bunch of other plans and info thanks to some great folks here , didn't even start buying hardware , but will soon ;)

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    You're not really going to use that cheap Lowe's Maple are you? :lol: Seriously, nice looking stuff ya got there.

What are these Bartlett plans you speak of? I think I saw where you posted that you had them in another thread (Mojotron perhaps). They seem kind of pricey as I recall. Do they come with instructions, or drawings for the contour templates, or a gold plated bridge, or what?

3. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Well , you know , LP's are costly , even to build your own , gotta save where I can :p , yea , I been very lucky the last few months at Lowes , I've got some pieces that are just stunning

They are considered to be very accurate 59 Standard plans , no directions but some pretty darn good drawings/meas. , I am looking at it as more of a guide , $22. CAD that's with shipping I think is pretty reasonable for what they are , no gold plated bridge or I would have never sprung for them , I don't like gold hardware :p Really just trying to get as much good info as I can , James has also been a huge help ;)

4. philspeed1

philspeed1 Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    brisbane
    Looking forward to this build

5. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Booya!!! Awesome Herb, except now mine's gonna look lame when get done Herb'ing yours.

6. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Thanks Phil :)

7. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    James , there is no way I could ever finish one better than your GT , that guitar is just beautiful and inspiring , and remember , I've never done a carve , set neck , angled headstock , bound fret board , inlays , OMG what have I gotten myself into :-D

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    This...............I will have to see ;)

9. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    While I was toiling in the shop today my wife made me my favorite dinner , only problem is I et to much to do anymore work tonight :p

[​IMG]

10. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Except for the carrot, I'm stumped :confused:.................guess I'll go eat my burger :oops:

11. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    You got the fever!! 'Ol Les is gona get Herbed! I love it!!

I can't wait to see more.

For those that want some great plans, the Bartlett plans Herb, James and I have referred to are relatively cheap - factoring in the cost of printing and the cost of your time to track down lots of details... It might not be a bad idea to order 2 sets so that you can use one for cutting up/templates. All the free plans are great too, the Bartlett (aka "Eastern Maple Carved Top" plans) are just a little better and only $15/copy.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Nah, we're just going to have a family of lil' Leses running around here with some awesome pedigrees. :D

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I have a nice billet of mahogany, plus a neck-sized one that's squirreled away until --I'm Ready--. For all the reasons you list above, Herb, I don't think I'm ready yet. (Plus I don't have any 9-AAAAAAAA Quilted maple for the cap yet! ) :D

14. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Corned Beef , cabbage and a little white vinegar , carrots , potatoes , the supper of champions :p

Hey Mojo , I am going to see if Staples can copy the Bartlett plan when I go to get prints of all the other stuff I need to make templates from , and yea , for the 15 bucks plus 7 for shipping those plans IMO are a bargain, I've gotta hunt down a piece of Sapele for the neck , and start doing some research. BTW your parts list is a big help ;)

15. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Rick , I'll send you a nice piece of maple for a burst top , might only be 8AAAAAAAAA though :p, come on , join the party , really , pm me on the top wood , seriously ;)

16. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Your right, that does sound great...............It's funny, I've eaten that in England, Texas, and here, and seen yours...............and it doesn't look the same anywhere :lol:

17. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    golly, if I would have known LPs would be so popular, I would have built an LP instead of a Firebird! :lol: Looking forward to it. What kind of herbilific finish shall you bestow upon it?

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Herb,

What are you thinking for pups? Full sized hums, mini hums, P90s or maybe Les' favorite low impedance studio units? That old Alnico staple unit is pretty cool as well if a bit noisy. Decisions, decisions.
    ;-)

Rob

19. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY

Not sure on the finish , I guess it's safe to say tea burst , or tobacco burst , or gold top , or ???

Probably something PAF like Rob , when I get to that point I'll be hitting you up for advice

20. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    My bad - I thought the plans were quite a bit more than that. They sound very reasonable. I can tell you from my mando experience, good plans will save you from having lots of headaches.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.