Elixir Optiweb Nickel-Plated Electric Guitar Strings on a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tenderfoot, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

I saw these new Elixir strings at GC tonight and before plunking down $12.99 + Tax I wanted to see if any other TDPRI Tele players have tried them and what the think of them. Of special interest is their term of "crisp tone" these strings produce. How does crisp differ from bright? Thanks.

elixir-optiweb-coatingelectric-pack-shotsideview-6c6692a9.jpg

2. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

They are quite a bit brighter than the two other Elixir strings with the thinner coating. They sound and feel more like uncoated strings. I have them on three of my guitars right now, I like them but I'm curious if they will hang in there as long as regular Elixir blends.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I might be in the minority but Elixir=hype+unnecessary expense.

I long ago realized that my ears were not trained or sensitive enough to hear significant differences in tone from one brand to the next or even the different blends.
    Regarding the longer life, I don't gig and I am pretty good about wiping my strings and neck after each use, so string life is just not an issue. Perhaps it's just the convenience of not having to change as often.
    I just restrung my GS Mini and my 000-18 with some Martin SP's which are very cheap. They sound good to me.

4. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I put a set of Elixir Optiweb 'bright/smooth' orange on a tele and and SG tonight. 22CHF a pack here in Switzerland...

And I wish I hadn't wasted the money. Weird lifeless feel, sound super dull right out of the packet - no new string jangliness. To add insult to injury, the ones on the SG have gone 'dull' after 3 hours of playing...

I'll never buy them again and stick to Ernie Ball (I am partial to the Cobalt ones).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.