Elite Saddle Replacements?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Codswallop, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Codswallop

Codswallop TDPRI Member

Hi TDPRI,
    I've been getting help from this forum for almost 3 years simply by searching topics. This is the first time for me to post any questions to the vast knowledgeable group out there, but I need help. I have wanted a Tele Elite for quite a few years, and finally purchased one via the internet...BIG disappointment. :evil: 4 of my 6 saddles are corroded badly with the height screws totally seized and stripped. :cry: So far I haven't been able to locate any Fender replacement saddles. I know Graph Tech makes a set for the Elite bridge(very ugly!), but I wanted to stay as stock as possible. Does anyone know of someone with stock saddles available or a company manufacturing replacement saddles for the Elite top loading bridge? Many thanks! :)

2. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

Off subject...where'd you get that Chandler Telepathic? That's one sweet tele. I never see them for sale. How does it play and sound? What year is it? Greetings from Pittsburgh!

3. AZMike

AZMike Tele-Meister

Stew Mac has this:

Click Here

I know it is intended for a hardtail strat or something, and I am not sure if they will actually replace elite-type saddles, but they sure look like the right ones.

I was considering buying one of these and replacing the elite-type saddles on my tele, but the original saddles have actually dug into the bridge plate over the years, so I have a further problem, and I am now going in a different direction and replacing the bridge.

Hope this helps,

Mike

4. Codswallop

Codswallop TDPRI Member

Hey Mike,
    Thanks a lot for your post! You've given me an alternative thought process. I had wondered if other saddles might fit this bridge. The original Elite bridge was made by Schaller (as was the tuners) and I figured something out there would work. StewMac's bridge lists the string spacing as 2 3/16" and the Elite bridge is 2 1/16" so I'd be doing a little filing to make them work. One thing is for sure the StewMac saddles LOOK :eek: a lot nicer than the next choice (Graph Tech)!

5. AZMike

AZMike Tele-Meister

You're welcome, Codswallop.

I agree about the Graphtechs. They probably work great, and if you had a string-breaking problem or did a lot of heavy whammying on a strat they might be worthwhile.

As for needing to do some filing on the Stew Mac bridgeto match string spread of your guitar, I was thinking more of just unscrewing them and mounting them on your exisiting bridge plate.

Let me know how things work out.

Mike

6. Codswallop

Codswallop TDPRI Member

Hi Mike,
    I decided to take care of the problem in the easiest way possible. I bought a new Elite bridge! I couldn't believe my luck 8) ...as I was looking through like 700 Fender bridges on EvilBay, I found a complete Tele Elite unit listed as a Strat hardtail bridge! Almost new in condition, and it only cost less than twice what a set of Graph Tech saddles would of cost...a no-brainer for me! :D

THANK YOU for your input Mike, your the only one to post any ideas for me so far. I'll post pics in my gallery when I get it done.

7. AZMike

AZMike Tele-Meister

Codswallop,

You are very welcome and congrats on the great find. It takes patience to wade through fleaBay for something like that.

Mike

8. moonshiner

moonshiner Friend of Leo's

I hope you enjoy that guitar... I haven't found any love with it... Point of fact.. I think the bridge is the worst part of it... It breaks strings like that's its a job...

To each his (or her) own...

9. Codswallop

Codswallop TDPRI Member

I humbly bow to your experience Moonshiner...I have yet to play a note with my Elite. :cry: I find it odd though that Leo, when starting up his new company (G&L), would use almost a copy of the Elite toploader bridge on his first new guitar (Broadcaster). Then continue that use with a chrome version on the ASAT Special still in production. The design similarities are uncanny right down to the RH & LH saddles. Leo must of known something was superior with his bridge design, he just didn't get it perfect on the first try. ;)

10. moonshiner

moonshiner Friend of Leo's

That guitar is definately different... tbx pots... active circuitry... I think the idea is cool... but, as I had said, I didn't find a love for it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.