Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Eleven Rack

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by TieDyedDevil, Mar 1, 2013.

1. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Why not...? This subforum is looking a bit lonely at the moment.

I've been using an Eleven Rack for a couple years now. I wasn't one of the early adopters, nor do I count myself among the crowd that feels "abandoned" by Avid. The Eleven Rack remains a useful tool for me.

There are certainly plenty of choices for modelers. So why the Eleven Rack? For me, the one feature that stands out above all other modelers (not counting software hosted on general-purpose computers, which is not in my realm of interest) is that the Eleven Rack's models behave substantially like the gear they model. If you know, for example, that you can find a good starting point for your sound by setting the controls on a Fender Twin a certain way, then you select the Twin model on the Eleven Rack, dial in your favorite setting, and get the sound you expect to hear. That's not something that happens with other modelers.

A lot of *my* favorite sounds come from a Tweed Deluxe. I've played a lot of real Tweed Deluxe amps, from vintage 5C3, 5D3 and 5E3s up through modern recreations like the Victoria 20112. I know how a good Tweed Deluxe should sound and respond; the Eleven Rack nailed it. That's the reason I bought mine.

There are some other good amps in there, too. I prefer the Fender amp models; they all sound and play great.

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    the valley
    I needed a new interface for Protools due to OS advances making my early Mbox obsolete. I went nuts and got the eleven rack, with the I still think sound idea that in the long run it would pay for itself by eliminating the need for a lot of plugins. And for a recording interface, I'm very happy with it.

I don't use it as a multi effects unit into an amplifier. I have simple needs in that area, a little boost and a reverb pedal into an amp I like are all I need there.

3. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2006
    Oxford, GA
    I bought the 11R almost 2 years ago. It was my first modeler. I bought it because it was a guitar processor and audio interface all in one. I didn't buy it to replace my tube amp, but it did. A couple of months ago, I needed to upgrade my Pro Tools to PT10 so I bought another 11R because it was more cost effective that way. I have been very happy with the 11R.

4. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    What do you mean, "abandoned" by Avid. What has Avid done that would make other users of the 11R feel abandoned?

A local record producer suggested the 11R to me as a good all-in-one solution. When I started investigating it, I found quite a few used on ebay for dirt cheap, and lots of others brand new, with Pro Tools, for around $700. This really had me wondering, if this device is as cool as it looks, why are so many players bailing on it?

I would love to have a modeling setup that would give me a wide palette of QUALITY tones that I could use live and in the studio, but it would have to be able to serve me for the long term, at least five years or so.

5. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2006
    Oxford, GA
    It appears that Avid has abandoned the 11R because they haven't offered any upgrades, expansion packs, etc for a long time now. People have also expressed great interest in a floor model and a program editor that doesn't require Pro Tools. As good as the 11R is, if they put some effort in to it, I'm sure they could come up with a more extensive product that would directly compete with the Axe FX. It doesn't appear that they are interested in any of that. It's my understanding that they have fired/released most if not all of the engineers/designers that were responsible for the 11R. The 11R is a great device; I recently bought my second one. But it is what it is; it probably will not ever be anything more.

6. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2006
    College Station, Texas
    Another happy 11R owner

I've had my Eleven Rack for about a year. Its the only modeler I've tried although I am very curious about the Axe II and Kemper. I don't use many effects, mainly a little reverb. I sometimes run a Timmy or Fatboost3 in front for a touch of drive.
    I like the Fender models. I haven't even tried all the various amps offered. I have about half a dozen Fender based patches I use all the time.
    The 11R is very easy to use and dial in. It has knobs for all the usual amp functions and dialing in a patch is just like dialing in a real amp, in my case an Allen Hot Fudge/w Nuts. I'm running the 11R through a pair of Tannoy 6.5" Reveal speakers. I still like and play my Allen but I've trended toward playing the 11R most of the time.
    Don't be put off by the cheap prices you see now for 11Rs. It appears that it will be discontinued but this doesn't really matter: what you get now is excellent as is. It an excellent piece of kit that I highly recommend.

Mark Robinson
    College Station, Texas

7. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I don't see AVID discontinuing the 11 Rack even though they are offering the unit with Pro Tools 10 for $699. What they might be doing is gearing up for a new version with more bells and whistles. Or they might take the approach that Kemper did and incorporate a power amp into the unit. But I have been watching Musikmasse and NAMM 2013 and I haven't seen any info about the 11 Rack

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.