Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine! So cool...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RiverDog, Jun 18, 2014.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I've had a buddy's B9 here for a bit and it's a hoot. Once you get the proper technique down there's a lot it can add to an all guitar band in the way of covering certain tunes in a certain way.

It may not sound exactly like a Hammond B3 through a Leslie but it's near enough for club work and it helps solve the problem of what does guitarist #2 do to stay out of guitarist #1's way.

I'd also agree with those who say that running it through a rotary pedal improves the authenticity of it a bit more. Even a relatively inexpensive one helps.

2. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    I didn't even know there was a C9 version out now. Just checked the demo, wow. EHX is doing some crazy stuff these days.

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    What happens if you do bends? I've been wondering about something like that for slide.

4. telesavalez

telesavalez Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    California
    Thanks. it's a fun band.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    IME they're best avoided if what you're attempting to do is become a fairly accurate representation of what an organ would sound like in a band setting. It requires a bit of an adjustment in technique and some deft finger picking at times to really nail it but once you "get it" overall it's not hard to play.

I'd say that more than anything else you need to think like a keyboard player far more than you do a guitarist and focus on what chords and riffs his right hand would be playing. The pedal does have some limitations but if used sparingly it could add some nice variety in an all guitar band.

6. kent1113

kent1113 TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2014
    California
    I just got a EHX B9 and was disappointed with the rotary Leslie sound. Weak and didn't do the swells the way I'd like.

Using a Boss ME-70, I tweaked the 'MOD' setting to rotary and used the expression pedal to control the speed of the Leslie sound. Works great and I'm very happy with this. I'm running through a Fender Mustang III amp.

7. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I had the C9 for nearly a month and just couldn't make friends with it, prolly because I was using it wrong. I don't know. Every time I looked at it on my board, I saw a $200 bill, so I just returned it.

8. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    I have the B9 and like it alot. When The C9 came out, I had to go try it out in a store and I didnt like it so much. I didnt really get to play around with it too much but I remember trying the B9 in the store and loved it right away. It does take some adjustment in playing technique to get the best out of it. Putting a compressor in front of it does help make it less sensitive to pick attack

9. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

My b9 is having issues..output is weak and inconsistent and very hissy.. any ideas?

10. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY

Did you get it recently? New or used? Is this the first time you've used it, or did it previously work fine?

11. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Got it new. .I'm in Australia so it came from a shop in the states. .gonna be a pain to find receipt and send it back so hopefully i can find a quick solution. .it worked fine for the first few months but is now sounding like it's got a dying battery (but of course this pedal only runs on power from an adaptor)

12. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I've had my B9 for about 6 months
    I use it in my covers band, on maybe 15 to 20 songs out of 100
    many times people are looking for the keys player
    as many have said, a whole different technique for playing has to be used
    no bends, slides and slurs
    I use it just to add colour to the bands sound, background chords , percussive staccato stabs, that sort of thing

13. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA

I use it for a few covers too. Sounds great when I use it in the background to fill in

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.