Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electrics and probably autonomous - anyone else watching this development?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    imwjl, this thought just crossed my mind about our current society. Most people will probably embrace totally autonomous vehicles long before they would accept their car's electronic sensor system telling them that they are not driving well! In other words, your friend and daughter might be exceptions rather than the rule. There.....that is my first pessimistic thought of the day...maybe?!?! eeeehaw....

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

Saving lives is the problem. WE are the problem!

I don't expect anyone to like what I am saying but it's the truth and the truth hurts.

I too am having a bit of a cancer/kidney and liver scare myself right now....should know results next week.

But it doesn't take away from my point, the more we add the more problems it creates.

The answer isn't always adding something....sometimes we need to take away.

Kind of like a slew of pedals in our chain, instead of adding one more to get the "tone" perhaps we really need to take some away.

Sollipsist likes this.
  3. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

I would imagine the manufacturer would force the buyer to sign a waver... freeing them of all liability.

And to all the people trying to save lives, by way of car accidents...thats not really a help in the long run.

Sure it sucks when loved ones, kids, wives and such die in wrecks....

But the number of deaths to births is already horribly uneven and unsustainable.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    So....solyent Green, anyone???

memorex and Piggy Stu like this.
  5. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    In a round about way...yes.

Progress makes people feel good and great, just like acquiring new gear and guitars makes us feel great, problem is "just like us" the world is running out of room to put their stuff... metaphorically speaking.

And eventually before we can get more guitars we either have to make more room (Not an option for earth) or cut back to make room.

6. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    nm

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  7. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    A couple actually.

2yrs ago I lost my cousin and her new born....

It's not about OUR personal losses....its about what our loss as an entire species will be if we do not put ourselves in check and let deaths happen.

We kinda have to put the whole of human kind above ourselves to undersrand.

8. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Our economy (worldwide, not just US) is based on scarcity, and doesn't work with the concept of plenty. Technology is taking us to the latter, and the tit-for-tat nature of the former is our real problem.

"Voyage From Yesteryear" is a science fiction novel by James P. Hogan, and is an interesting look at what we have vs. what we could have.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    I think your only salvation is if you find or create your own private Cantdoitistan, Closedmindistan or Redneckistan if not move to a closed or backwards place that already exists. I said earlier how on the whole it really looks like most people work stuff out. Nothing shy of killing or jailing them ever seems to stop optimistic, determined innovators.

On your saying the truth, where are your stats? We do hear or read negative stuff in the news but a whole lot of credible measures show progress. Again, to be fair I'm not talking about the spot (and the moment) where you and I are standing on the earth but the whole. I'm also not saying we have problems to ignore.

We will see big changes with energy and automation. Economics - getting the emotion out of it - will make it happen.

If you feel it's tough for you right now work at pouring on the optimism. It might sound silly but that works. When my dad died young my mom said "put on a smile and get to work because pretty soon no one will care about this and the world won't stop". Maybe best advice I ever had and I'm mad at myself when I forget it.

:)

10. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    Progress is not the same thing as technological advancement. In fact, I suspect that technology allows for humanity to regress in specific ways. The Romans were one of the most technologically advanced civilizations the world had ever seen... but the longer they lasted, the less civilized they became.

WetBandit and JayFreddy like this.
  11. imwjl

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    As suspected. It looks like the marketing and press release people for Tesla, Uber and Waymo (Google) were all busy this week.

All of this looks good to me. I drove semi between college dropout, going back to school, and a little but after. I recall not being able to stay awake, not being able to keep up with those on drugs, a night when I was hitting myself side the head to stay awake and keep up with a coworker on drugs, scary times in mountains when ABS and technology would help. I also recall how unhealthy or at least how hard it was to be healthy with the job.

There's also recalling some accidents where trucks and busses would no doubt have benefitted from the technology our Subaru car has. Recent history bad accidents from sleepy semi drivers in my area killed kids in a bus, and a loved teacher on her way to work. A cloud of fog accident a near by a few weeks ago showed the woman who was killed was smashed between a semi and other cars.

The only answer I have on jobs lost is things change. You have to adapt and have to manage your baby making. I've experienced fundamental job and market change a few times now. Retraining, regrouping and facing the competition was hard. For jobs there's just the cold hard fact that you have little or no salvation if you don't have a skill that has the world willing to pay you a living wage.

In the meanwhile I think what Tesla, Uber, Waymo and others are doing is neat stuff. Never any turbo whistle with a Tesla and I'm sure it will disappear in some other trucks too.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...eyond-driverless-taxis-with-trucking-program/
    https://medium.com/waymo/same-drive...elf-driving-technology-to-trucks-e55824b55b8f

[​IMG]

JayFreddy likes this.
  12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Yes, class action lawsuits - proof that if you throw enough of it at a wall, some of it will stick :rolleyes:

13. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2014
    Tulpehocken Delta

14. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

It has nothing to do with my perceived lack of optimism... I'm no pessimist.

It has everything to do with technology outpacing society at such an alarming rate, that all it actually does it create bigger and more complicated problems as it always has, ironically enough.

I've said it before and I'll say it one last time...

Everytime a problem arises wether it be a Health issue, an environmental issue, a Tone issue, or almost any other issue the first thing in most people's mind is what can I acquire or purchase (in other words ADD) to fix this problem...

Wether it be

Meds...
    A new OD pedal
    An electric car
    A self tuning guitar
    Self washing underpants...etc

We are all conditioned to be consumers, so the natural solution to almost every problem is what can I/we ADD!

When alot of the time we should be asking what can I/we SUBTRACT!

If you cannot understand this simple concept, then I see no reason to debate it further, as you are dead set on making our problems bigger and more complicated.

Hard thing to stomach being told that the only answer is to give some things up and practice moderation...but sadley that is reality.

You think a Diabetic doesn't like sweets? Actually they just dislike the idea of death more... so the answer is to subtract sweets...not add meds, this will greatly annoy pharmaceutical companies and their profits...but oh well.

I am not against innovation at all, but it needs to be practiced in moderation or else it is just another problem.

It's time for some accountability folks...

We keep meddling with mother nature and she will eventually get even, and we will be deserving.

WSW35.jpg

This guy understood and I guess that will have to be good enough for me...

Attached Files:

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The Stone Age didn't end because people ran out of stones.

Progress moves you into a different world where jobs and everything else shift. I'm optimistic.

imwjl likes this.
  16. imwjl

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    What about the dark ages?

17. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Patently, demonstrably and almost laughably untrue.

Even if we utilize some esoteric method of measuring it, life in the not too distant past was nasty, brutal and short.

Poverty in say 1018 AD vs 2018AD? Understanding fully that wealth and poverty are largely relative terms, it sucked worse then.

Have you or a relative not survived an illness or an injury that would've been crippling--or fatal--a century ago?

And the implications of your statement is that more death would make it better for the survivors?

That statement, assessed for value, is reprehensible.

Man, can we go back to irrationally hating on PRS guitars?

18. twobuckchuck

twobuckchuck Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    California
    Jobs would change. Not disappear. People have been saying “but what about jobs” for hundreds of years. Plus. There still needs to be customer service, coders, mechanics, etc. Same dookie, different day.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, did we run out of dark?

20. imwjl

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Yeah, a few hours ago but maybe I confused that with a smart phone waking me up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.