Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Electrics and probably autonomous - anyone else watching this development?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 8, 2018.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    That is all cool and all, but it will absolutely DESTROY jobs....

Unemployment would reach an all time high probably.

Also the companies who use such things will be assuming ALL liability instead of it being shared with the driver...

And if they let these haul Hazmat, that would get very interesting very quickly...and I wouldn't even want to fathom what it would cost to insure such a vehicle hauling hazmat freight.

This is cool technology and innovation, but I believe it will do more harm than good.
    Rythameen likes this.

3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Yes. Who is going to buy your products when nobody has a job?
    Ash, Anode100 and JayFreddy like this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

There is a great scene in the movie "Logan" with autonomous trucks.

Amazon is tired of issues with UPS and Fedex and are working on their own delivery system (remember the small flying drone arguments). Amazon will likely be the first to use autonomous trucks in a big way. UPS and Fedex will dabble but they won't change their existing systems so dramatically. Who will win?

If you want fear about autonomous, it's not trucks.

5. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

It would seem that it is "all over but the crying"...

Or is it... "all chicken but the gravy"???

When the day comes that Hazardous materials can be left to speed down the highway with no input from a member of our own species, we will know for certain that humanity has failed.

Of course the biggest problem we face is advancement in medicine, which leads to overpopulation which leads to war over resources which leads to massive reduction of population...

So perhaps we are on the right track to preservation/perpetuation of our species?

Funny that we need to kill ourselves to save ourselves.

Tragic irony, or poetic justice?
    3fngrs likes this.

6. imwjl

I don't expect a sudden switch with drivers being no more. What I've experienced with elemental autonomous technology has me certain the technology will eliminate problems. I didn't say all of them.

I am quite certain a mix whether it's electric or diesel vehicles or with or without drivers is our future.

The hauling hazmat argument is probably one of the best for having the autonomous technology if only for safety. What's already shipping with a whole lot of cars does a better job of keeping safe distance, braking and alerting than most drivers.
    JayFreddy and h4ck.b0x7 like this.

7. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    My grandmother was born in 1889. She died in 1982. Unimaginable change occurred in her lifetime. She was 14 when the Wright brothers made their first flight at Kitty Hawk. She saw her first car when she was 22. I went out in the yard with her on a July evening in 1969 and looked up at a full moon shortly after watching Neil Armstrong take his first steps on the moon.

I'm 65. More things have changed in my lifetime than I could recount.

It's just one more thing. We adapt and so far keep moving forward.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Big picture: The robots are coming, for sure, and we are totally unprepared as a society to deal with the consequences.
    Small picture: It will take some serious doing - lobbying and safety data - for states to allow fully autonomous, driverless semi trucks loose on the highways.

In the right kind of world, humans wouldn't have to drive truck or pick up garbage to earn a living, robots would do that for us, and we would all be able to do creative, educational, or other fulfilling work and not have to worry about being homeless. We are a long long way from that kind of a society, it's pretty hard to even imagine.

9. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Until the robots realize they don't need humans.

10. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Except a human isn't hackable...

The 4th dimension of warfare is what?

Why are we faced with this 4th dimension?

Because we progressed FAR to fast without considering the consequences but only the benefits.

When I started school we passed notes and well before I finished everyone (except me ) it seemed had an iPhone...

And people had time to weigh the risk and reward of such tech....yea right.

How bout the A-bomb? Was that risk properly weighed....nope.

How about chemical weapons....nope.

Guess what. Now it's all here and we must deal with it, and learn how to keep it from destroying us.

I don't think the cure is adding anything to our "system" I think taking away is the answer!

When you have a fatty liver like I can't cure it by adding ANYTHING to your body.

The only way is to take things away from your body.

Our problems are created through technology....and technology will not solve them.

Would trees be a big concern without the invention of the chainsaw?

We are racing full steam ahead to our own destruction, and nothing is going to alter that course without a whole bunch of death.

I'm going to start a new thread right now and ask one question.

11. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Autonomous vehicles will become commonplace once they're proven to be safer than human-operated vehicles. I don’t see why the cargo would matter at that point—i.e., hazmat or John Mayer PRSs or a bus loads of kids. Statistics are statistics and safer is safer. Machines don’t get tired or distracted or drunk or high, and AI can take in more information and respond faster than humans.

No argument that it’s an innovation that will disrupt jobs, but that’s because they’ll be cheaper and faster and safer. I have relatives and friends who earn their living driving, and they have my full sympathy, but it’s happening and we have to hope the economy will adjust and make room for them elsewhere. It has in the past, but the rules seem to be changing now, so who knows.

Drivers might be next in line to be replaced by machines, but they certainly won’t be the last. AI is coming for a lot of jobs, and the coming decades will be exciting and more than a little terrifying. It’s hard to foresee this heading anywhere but with more and more wealth and power confined to an ever-shrinking segment of the populace, a segment that will be less dependent on the labor of lower classes than at any other point in history that I can think of at the moment.

That said, I’m optimistic. We’ll adapt and most of us will want to take care of each other. We’ll find a way to make it work. Some futurists are already talking about a universal basic income. It’s an idea that’s hard to imagine gaining much traction now, as least in the US, but the landscape is changing fast, and i definitely don’t see it slowing down.
    imwjl likes this.

12. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Some really smart people certainly think that’s a possibility. Let’s hope that if it comes to that, it’ll occur to the robots that, well, they’re robots and they can set up shop literally anywhere in the universe if they get sick of dealing with us. Maybe we can part ways without one of us destroying the other.
    RetroTeleRod and imwjl like this.

13. imwjl

I think maybe you're forgetting we keep solving more problems than many realize. Poverty, life expectancy, energy, food production, medicine, the list could go on. The world is not as bad as many think or day.
    JayFreddy, Piggy Stu and thegeezer like this.

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Oh, great. All I want is to finish out my pitiful life riding my old, carbureted motorcycles, listening to my vinyl records, and playing music no one listens to anymore through my stupid tube amp. But now, I'm just going to get taken out by a murderous robot. Will it be a kemper that's learned how to perfectly model an output transformer catching fire, that burns down the venue with me in it? Or a pack of robot semis that box me in and feed me to the ditch?

Then again, I've had a good run. Actually, I should already be dead from the human drivers. They are the WORST. I've enjoyed my borrowed time. Have fun with the world, robots.

15. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

poverty? Pretty sure there's still plenty to go around.

Life expectancy increase, adds to the problem

We have yet to utilize 100% renewable clean energy and likely never will.

Food production, with harmful additives and actuality this is probably a good thing....the harmful chemicals I mean.

And medicine improvent also adds to the problem.

Not saying we aren't benefiting in the short term from these advancements, I just got a full CT scan today...

But in the long run....nope, no good at all.

Tech is NOT the answer, period!

16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2016
    You sure about that?

Throughout history people have been apprehensive about change. Remember the Luddites?

The wheels of change will roll, whether we like it or not. It certainly is interesting times we live in.
    h4ck.b0x7 likes this.

17. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Shoot, we done got hacked just last year.
    Nightclub Dwight likes this.

18. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Humans are hackable.

Hack your self before they do.
    JayFreddy likes this.

19. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    I will have to agree with you, but I believe you misunderstood. I was suggesting that the trucks could be taken control of by way of cyber hacking. Humans are obviously persuadable but not hackable.

But I would add that these are also the most dangerous times we have ever been in as a species.
    T-bone Ted likes this.

20. imwjl

This book is not perfect but I suggest you read “It's Better Than It Looks: Reasons for Optimism in an Age of Fear” that came out recently. I’m not done yet but he’s done a good job of assembling his facts. There are recent reviews of the book and the author out there easy to find.

Don’t look at where you are standing or how you are feeling. Look at the whole world or nation. Look across slices of time that are centuries and decades. Even in a more tiny way we’re better off. At the moment we’re on one of those slices when a lot of important measures are better vs worse.

You’ve lost me on food and medicine. It’s really easy for many to eat well and at affordable prices these days. Many not choosing that is a different story. Medicine? Don’t go there. I watched my wife’s progression with cancer in the past 3 years. I had a problem in 2007 and recall one doctor say “We used to explore people to death.” For that problem.

Technology? I’d be dead without eyeglasses and struggling or maybe dead if I was not able to have a particular round of dental repair done. It’s below freezing so this morning so I’m sure glad I’m at home vs our cabin. Those glasses made it really easy to have running water, turn up the thermostat and making coffee was a lot easier with electricity - not just that running water.

There are alternatives for the way you feel. There are some nations and belief systems that you could join to be without the technology and be among people who shun it.

I’m sure it’s easier for me to know where the automotive technology will be soon because we have one of the Subarus with a primitive version of what’s coming. The reliability and function have never failed in the same few years I’ve made human mistakes. Between relatives and other associates I’ve experienced a Tesla car and other cars with accident avoidance systems that are primitive autonomous systems.

A friend and cabin neighbor have also been insightful on this topic. As military and commercial pilots they’ve seen how the stuff coming to our cars has avoided problems. A pilot I know who recently retired after flying what’s arguably one of the most advanced commercial aircraft put off his latest car purchase so he could drive with some of the same sorts of systems he valued in the air.

More to the Teslas.

Hybrid alternative energy is here now. My small city has had solar on on some buildings. You see a wind farm from most hills in town. Their electric utility vehicles are quiet and reliable. My brother works in infrastructure at he large university here. He’s pointed out that small electric utility vehicles have been great replacements for UTVs and little Ranger pickup trucks.

An associate’s company got hybrid cars for their currier fleet early on. It started as curiosity and a bit of PR. Years later they have plug in cars and a whole lot of employees have gone to hybrid and electrics.

The earlier hybrids and newer plug in cars have worked out where I work Just his ways and politics says you can trust the CFO would not allow their being bought a second time if there was not benefit. He’s firm in a lot of ways but honest intellectually. Electricity is looking pretty good for shuttling people and stuff around in and between the state’s two largest metro areas. The company does pay the premium to the utility company for green energy. I know it started as a marketing thing but there’s enough wind, solar and hydro around here where the hippy and prepper mentalities overlap.

This will be like lots of technology progress with growing pains but will be progress on the whole. Electric propulsion aside, the driving aid technology will save lives.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    thegeezer likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.