Electrical problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by BigSkyTeleGirl, Apr 15, 2013.

1. BigSkyTeleGirl

BigSkyTeleGirl TDPRI Member

Hi, I haven't posted much here and mostly lurk. I did some searching but didn't really find anything that addressed my issue so thought I'd throw this up for some thoughts of everyone here who knows so much more than I do.

I built a tele from a Saga kit last year and it came out pretty good, went together well and sounded good. I am using it until I decide what color American Special I want ..... but that's another thread.....

Anyway, it's been functioning pretty well and I usually plug in and play for an hour or so and then unplug and put to the side in it's gig bag. I last played it last monday (one week ago). Today I picked it up, plugged it in and nothing!!! When I plug in you can hear the noise of the jack going into the plug-in point but no other sounds, not even any hum.

I tapped the pick-ups (you know like the Fonz with the jukebox, just hit it to make it work....:rolleyes:) and took the switch plate off, we tapped on them lightly and were able to get a bit of response but again nothing in the way of sound thru the amp.

So, I just was wondering what should I look for now? Should I take everything apart and check the wiring? Everything was tight at the switch plate but I haven't looked at the pick-ups yet.

I know nothing about electrical things - I could take it to my local store but thought I'd give it a try myself first. It seems odd in that I played it, put it away and then it doesn't work now. Do pick-up and switches just go bad all by themselves after awhile?

Ah, another excuse to go to my FLGS and look at the Teles.....thanks in advance for any help/thoughts for me to try.

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most likely, you have a bad solder joint, or you have a bare wire grounding the circuit.

Pots, Switches, and Pickups do go bad. I have had it happen to me before, but most likely you have a bad solder joint or loose wire grouding out your circuit.

3. Dejected_Ridge

Dejected_Ridge Tele-Meister

I vote for bare wire grounding the circuit. I swapped pickups for my friend and he wanted to reverse the tele control plate so I did. One of the pickup wires required the outside shield to be grounded to the back of the volume pot. No biggie... but I wasn't thinking and ran it across the tone pot before soldering it to the volume pot. When the plate was put back on the outer braid was grounding against the tone pot... not a sound out of either pickup. I'd lift the plate off and get sound again... put it back in, no sound. I checked every joint 10 times until I figured out what was going on. :rolleyes:

-DJ

4. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

do sega kits have solder joints? or plugs?
    either way a loose wire will find some way to make mischief

5. BigSkyTeleGirl

I took the switch plate off again and looked things over.

Seems the wire from the jack to the volume pot is the issue. Saga does do plug-in connections but some of the connections are pre-soldered and this is one of them. If I plug-in and then mess with the black wire to the pot I get plenty of sound.

So now what.....I don't have a solder iron so I may just go by my guitar store and have them look at it - it needs a set-up anyway.

6. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

Sondering iron 10 bucks. Learning to solder - priceless. :)

7. BigSkyTeleGirl

Yes, sounds like a good idea, cheaper than the shop also.

I have learned alot and can do a basic set-up so I may just give it a go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.