Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electric slide

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by neckradius, Feb 16, 2017.

1. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    New York
    For those of you that play some electric slide, particularly in an open tuning, what guitar are you using? I know that you can play slide on just about any guitar, but curious what you like and why? Anything special you do, like slightly higher action?

2. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I had an old korean les paul copy. I set it up in open G. Higher-ish action. Heavy strings; 11-56.

Played on neck pickup most of the time.

Got rid of that guitar a couple years ago and miss it terribly.

Haven't played much slide since. Was going to set up one of my others soon. Maybe the SG. Will try open E this time.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    My SG and my Danelectro are my preferred for slide. When I was learning the basics, I used a nut extender, now I use a lighter touch and a glass slide :)
    I prefer the flatter radius. I like a higher than standard action anyway, so that helps too.

4. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I love playing slide on a guitar with P90s. Great sound.

5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    True dat! I have an Epiphone Dot Studio which I love, I put in a set of Phat Cat P90s, had the action raised, and man is it ever a sweet slide guitar! Love the P90 / electric slide glorious tone.

6. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    A Danelectro U1 reissue with a Stratoblaster installed. The controls are: Volume, Gain & 3 way switch wired: neck, neck & bridge in series, bridge.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I have an old Supro Dual-Tone that is the only guitar I've held onto for 30+ years.
    It's been to every gig.
    Every time I think, "this thing is worth a grand and I use it on 3-4 songs a night...I'll just sell it and use a cheap Epi or something..." I plug it in and nothing comes close.
    Still gives me chicken skin.
    Whatever it is with that pickup, it just kills me.

8. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

May 24, 2014
    Appalachia
    Guitar in my avatar is a 50's Kay wnith a sound hole pickup... very high action at 12th fret... other is 50's Tele relic'ed clone.... low action, use neck pup. High E string dropped to D. Others standard. Easy to do bass notes on low strings, 7th's and minors behind slide on 4 top strings, awesome sounds.

since 1963 likes this.

9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I only play slide on electrics. The lump of wood doesn't matter very much, whatever appeals, provided it has a fretboard radius of more than 7 1/4", and something like 12" or 16" is better. The pickups are very important, and I like P90 types (single coil screw pole). I use the neck position almost exclusively, through a good clean amp. My favourite is a highly modded Peavey Raptor Plus Exp, because of its very light weight, but I think that the Gibson LP Special with P100s sounds better. I don't want to start another tone wood debate, but I think that the two LP Special types, the Gibson and a Burny, have better sustain and overtones than the three Strat types; the neck timber might have something to do with it. I have a good semihollow, a Westone Rainbow I, but I've never been happy with it because it is very dark sounding and lacks sustain in the high registers.

I use 10-46 strings, mostly tuned to open E, and have the action set at about 1.7 mm, heel fret, treble side.

Other important items are:

A good clean amp; I mostly use a highly modded V1 Epi VJ
    A compressor
    Reverb - I use a set up where the reverb can be blended with the clean to get a subtle effect reminiscent of acoustic resonance.

Colors likes this.

10. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Funny thing just happened to me...
    For some reason, I decided to go from 11's to 12's on my Supro.
    Fatter strings better, right?
    I'm going back to 11's.
    Maybe I just had the 11's for so long I don't like anything else, but I feel like there's some snap (musical term) missing.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Some of the perspective string gauge has to do with your action/"do you want to still fret"/weight of slide & technique

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia

When I first started playing electric slide, I used the same gauge as I do for acoustic slide, 13-56. However, I discovered over time that for most guitars, there was no advantage in these heavier strings, and there was even a "choking" effect on some, such as the Westone. The downside of light strings for me is that it is easier to hammer the frets with a heavy slide than it is with heavier strings, so I use glass rather than heavy brass, and I have developed a light touch.

13. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

My slide set-up is pretty accidental. A friend bought an old Egmond Solid 7 with dead electronics and no bridge. He bought an aluminium Bigsby bridge for it (just the bridge without the wiggle stick) from the spare parts drawer at a local music store that's more like a rag and bone yard than a music store. He got it home and realised it was a left-handed bridge. I'm left-handed, so we did a swap of some sort and the guitar and bridge got passed on to me. It's a double cutaway style so pretty easy to play upside down. I bought a single Manlius Hot Howling Goat for it (a really good hot P90 that has much more clarity than you'd expect from a hot pickup) and my friend put it all together for me with the controls in a lefty position. The pickup is in the neck position.

It only gets used for slide because the neck is a dog. I mean if a good neck "plays like butter", this one plays like grease scraped from the kitchen walls of a cockroach infested diner.

On the plus side, the combination of a very thin totally hollow body and the aluminium bridge give it a vaguely Dobro-like quality unplugged, and this carries through to the electric sound. It doesn't have much sustain. The notes decay quite quickly because of the hollow body. But that gives it a unique quality that suits what I do. It can do nice clean melodic country styles or give up great bluesy dirt with some overdrive.

I keep it strung in open A because my voice has a limited range and I end up singing in A a lot. That tuning has more string tension than open G, which affects the sound. It's strung with 12s and I use a thick Dunlop steel slide. I find the type of slide has a huge impact on the tone. Brass is a bit dull sounding for me, glass is nice and bright and transparent but doesn't have the balls. Steel has brightness as well as the balls.

As a side note, Paul McCartney's first bass was an Egmond Solid 7 converted to a bass and strung left-handed. When the thing finally collapsed under the strain of those bass strings, the whole band took great pleasure in stomping up and down on it and trashing it completely. It was that bad. He moved on to the Hofner after that.

14. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    And...to answer the other part...I jack up my actiom at the bridge but not the nut.
    I like to still be able to finger it and fret some notes behind the slide

15. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Korean Hamer Echotone. 335 style guitar, SD Phat Cat in the bridge, Alnico II Pro in the neck, pick ups wired from switch to jack no pots, brass nut. She really wails. Oh I put Grovers and a Tone Pro Bridge on it as well.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    To my surprise, my tele has replaced my Sheraton II to become my electric slide guitar. I have developed a nice light touch over the years and can play slide on any action height, but I think it is because I do fingerpickin' with slide and enjoy the combination of normal fretting techniques while playing slide.

Frank'n'censed and since 1963 like this.

17. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2013
    Norway
    I use my Japanese Blackmore strat that I have blocked the trem on and strung with 11s. I tune it to open D and open G and variations of those tunings. The slide goes on the pinky and there's a lot of mixing regular and slide playing.
    The action is a tad high but nothing crazy.
    I am constantly modding that guitar and the latest addition it got was a stereo pickup in the middle that is very very kool!
    M

syrynx likes this.

18. since 1963

since 1963 Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2017
    I play slide a lot. I use the Lost Country Original Delta Slider in blue fiber optic glass. I play it on the Fender FMT HH Tele and my Schecter Omen Extreme, both with low actions. I used to believe that garbage of a "high action" for playing slide, but as I got really good at the slide, it was just BS.
    I occasionally play open E (because I fingerpick a lot), but mostly play in standard tuning. Just depends on the song.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Obsessed likes this.

19. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Started playing slide on a '65 Melody Maker with the bar magnet
    bridge pup. Man that was a mean sound~think Elmore James,Hound
    Dog Taylor. When I play slide now I prefer Tele with pre b-1 in the bridge and use light stainless steel slide. Most folks who have play
    my guitars think action is high, but seems right to me~can't stand
    fret buzz!

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Fingerstyle, no picks, is the way I go...many of my favorite blues greats, went this route

TigerG and Gunerius like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.