Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Sep 7, 2017.

1. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

I think it is time for some stepper motors and controllers!:)

Barncaster likes this.

2. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    No, this saves me a Gym membership!!!

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Is that how you sold it to your wife Helmut?

4. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Oh no, not disclosing any information that will be discoverable and could be held against me - :lol:

John Nicholas likes this.

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    It does look like a workout..

6. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    With a properly sized end mill cutter you can make this a work out. But when I use the tiny end mill cutter for e.g cutting fret slots it becomes a very soothing event. You cannot really feed alot.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

7. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    This is how I went after the fret board. Didn't feel like messing up the table with double sided tape. Screwed a cherry scrap piece on the table and leveled it- then put the fretboard on it with sticky tape.

Made a quick XLS table using the old fashioned 12th root of 2 spacing for a 17 inch scale. Why something odd like 17inch? Because that is easier to remember than e.g a 16 53/64 scale :D.

After that it is just a matter of time to crank the table to the desired location to make the cut.

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    nickhofen, John Nicholas and Mat UK like this.

8. betocool

betocool TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    Sorry... how do I convince my wife again that I DO NEED one of those machines? Anyway I can smuggle it into the workshop?

Looking at this... anyone know if/how a mill could be used for carving a top?

Cheers,

Albert

9. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Start out with - do your remember that side table you always wanted...

In order to make a carve top you'd have to either manually calculate a gazzilion of xyz coordinates and crank through them or more practically you find somewhere a few grands and CNC this.

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Tell her it makes ladies shoes.

Then go buy some mangled leather and slip it into the house, show it to her, and tell her you tried to make her some shoes, but you didn't buy the VERY EXPENSIVE accessory for it that makes better shoes, because that would have been wrong, so you'll just have to make guitars with it. And she can keep buying her own shoes.

I'm sure that's what Helmut did, and it worked for him.

dr_tom, nickhofen, Zepfan and 2 others like this.

11. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Yeah something along these lines :p:p:p but you first need to discover and unlock your softer side :p:p:p

12. betocool

betocool TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    Well... see the thing is, we just chose a house, we're buying it, and she let me have the one with the biggest workshop already*... even though she liked another one more (so she claims). I'll have to collect some brownie points though.

And she doesn't care for shoes... tell you what, she'd be very excited with a mill though, might even use it more than I.

Good call on the CNC carved top, I figured as much, I guess having it done by someone might be the way to go.

Anyway... carry on!

Cheers,

Albert

*A droolworthy workshop that I'll have to fill up with tools and guitars for the next 30 years or so.

13. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Congrats on the house and mortgage. Just add a mill on top of it - it might not even make a ding. :)

14. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Hey... that's a great idea!!

Barncaster likes this.

15. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    B29FF93C-19B4-4F6E-B601-7A217C1A95EC.jpeg Not much progress, but the flat head hex socket stainless steel screws showed up. Just waiting now for the stop nuts.

darkforce, Zepfan, Barncaster and 5 others like this.

16. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY

17. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Super clean. Now to just make it from brass and find somebody to nickel plate it

Barncaster likes this.

18. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I’ll make one out of brass if this one caves
    :)

Barncaster likes this.

19. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee

20. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    94EC9B4A-D475-481D-A14D-05935C553130.jpeg FB4D4EF3-DF30-4BCE-9902-250E477873D7.jpeg 203FA3A3-CCFE-4174-BD89-5D35203E94BF.jpeg Finally the stainless steel stop nuts came in along with 17/64 end mill (hey Europeans and metric people - you cannot make this up :D). Widened the post hole with the 17/64 bit so that a 4mm socket cap screw fits through. Now I will be able to adjust the bridge height from the top as there is no way to reach the knurled wheel of the stud. The bridge is far too wide. It has a 12.8mm adjustment.

Not liking the looks of the stop nuts yet...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.